all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Australian Gym Equipment Companies?

• Thread starter Deleted member 6651
  • Start date
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Deleted member 6651

Hey,

Wasn't sure where to post this... Kettlebells was first on the list... and some of the equipment is related to KB's but also im looking at long term, if i ever move from KB's into barbell type work/bumper plates etc.

There are 2 companies here that seem to have top quality production (meaning laser cut, smooth, coated etc)...

1: Rogue Fitness
2: Aussie Strength

Now Rogue is known world wide, cross fit games etc. They use 3x3" uprights, 11 gauge steel (75x75 - 3mm?)

Aussie Strength on other hand use 4mm thick 75x75 - 3000kg load rated.

I read about how they make their stuff... its all robotic plasma cut etc, full welded etc (all like rogue is).

Looking at bumper plates... Rogue have the training bumper plates 2.0 - which are tested to 88 on the Durometer scale.

Aussie Strength say theirs is tested to 95 on the durometer - Seems better?

Aussie Strength also provide calibrated competition bumper plates... Rogue do not.

I'm not sure about the centre metal piece in the bumper plates though... I remember listening to the guy that designed the "faster" company (rogue competition) and was mentioning how in most competition bumper plates, that centre metal piece starts to get loose... so this I don't know between rogue and Aussie strength if either companies gets loose or if it was designed to always stay firm and not rattle even after 5000 drops.

Terms of Kettlebells...

Rogue Have 8kg-98kg, I haven't seen many companies (if any) that offer anything larger than 48kg. Even Kettlebells USA only go up to 48kg.

Would anything larger than 48kg ever be used, or once you get to that stage, you would be looking at barbell/dumbell work, in which case bigger than 48kg KB's would never really be used anyway?

So anyway, Rogue KettleBells are powdercoated and claim feel more natural than Epoxy finish.
The Aussie Strength KB's - Have no colour markings on the sides of handles (Rogue Do) but they do have their logo and the weight printed in the middle of the black bell. The Aussie strength one is E coated, which apparently lasts much longer and harder to chip than 'cheaper powder coating'.

Eg:

Rogue:
Rogue Kettlebells

Aussie Strength: (they only have them up to 32kg max - so anything larger I would have to go a different brand)
Classic Kettlebells | AUSSIE STRENGTH™

Then you got barbells - Aussie Strength have 215,000 PSI rated barbells, Rogue have 190,000 on the OHIO bar, while their Olympic bar is 215,000 PSI... etc...

Anyway - Im just asking because I want to keep my gym uniform. Im starting with kettlebells, but I am keeping in mind that I may end up doing more, and getting into barbell type work etc later... so wanting to keep everything uniform... I didn't wanna get one brand kettlebells now, later another brand power rack, then another brand barbell, then this and that.

I wanted to keep it all the same, so whatever4 brand i would go with in bumper plates, barbells, poweracks etc... would be the one I would want to start with in kettlebells, just so as I build it up, it is all uniform.

So - Anyone know anything about either brand? The Aussie Strength guys claim they are the only ones in the country with that quality/strength and precision... Rogue pretty much claims that everyone else is a Copy and "Copy is the greatest form of flattery".

But at the same time, if the brand is unknown... then the question is how good is their quality, everything might be thick etc... but doesn't mean stability or anything else if its designed wrong...

So I just wanted to know who here would know anything about either in terms of quality...

Rogue or Aussie Strengths Valkyrie gear - ??

Hi so not many people go above 48kg but ive seen a few people use some serious heavy kettlebells. I would look around to see if you can get your hand on a rogue bell or Aussie bell to see how it feels (I like E coat more then powder but you could be different). as fare as plates you probably don't need calibrated plates unless your running contests. while I get the instinct to want to have a uniform branding it doesn't seem necessary/could keep you from building your ideal gym! you might like Assie strength Plates and Rogue bars!

Mate you were asking about brands of kettlebells a year ago. Have you started training yet? If so what size bell are you swinging? Do you need the perfect uniform name brand fully stocked home gym before you can start? If this is the case then you’ve just missed out on 12mths of serious gains, training knowledge & technique improvement.

Life got in the way. Now that I have done manual labor work, i want to continue training now that my muscles are more used to it. So now I have taken it serious.

I ask because I don't want to spend money on one to later "Ah damn i shoulda went with the other one" buy once buy right... not spend money now and change my mind later and spend all the money a 2nd time to fix the first mistake.

The main reason I'm asking, the bumper plates (competition ones) from aussie strength pretty much cost (maybe a bit less) than rogue's 'non competition' ones. So I thought why spend more for 'worse quality'.... and thats why it all started... and why im asking for anyone with experience if they know anything about Aussie Strength gear (Valkyrie) that can chime in with some real stuff not just "i think" or "well they market themselves as the best" or something rather.

You said you’re going to start with kettlebells then move to barbell as you progress. My suggestion would be to buy a 16kg kettlebell, any 16kg kettlebell. Then if it’s not to your liking then you’ve wasted money on one of the lighter kbs, much better than wasting money on a whole set of kbs plus a whole set of bumpers & bars that to be honest you can’t be sure your going to stick with. I say “can’t be sure” because no one is until they actually start & see if the commitment is really for them. From my experience their seems to two types starting out with training: the person who really wants to train & starts as soon as possible with whatever they got at hand or gym, they learn & get better as they go & gather more equipment as they progress & is needed.
The other person really likes the idea of training, they buy the whole set of the best equipment available before they are even capable of using 90% of it, then they search for the best program ever invented, then they follow said program until they get bored & or the next best program comes along, eventually they quit still not having used 90% of their equipment.
I’ve seen some hardcore home gyms in my time owned by some hardcore lifelong lifters & one thing they all have in common is they are nowhere near “uniform”, most have started by what they could scrap together & used to death & added along the way. Check out the “courage corner “ thread on the forum.
I’m only saying this to try & help, I’ve seen it with friends in the past get excited buy a truck load of stuff then go on to sell it for a loss later cause the phase past.
If you cannot swing or getup with a 16kg kb, then sorry IMO you have no business buying a whole set of kbs up to & above the 48. Or a whole set of bumpers ready for when you out grow the kbs.
So I ask you, what size kb can you swing & getup with? Whatever it is buy one of that weight, when you are progressing well then get the next one up. If they don’t end up being the same brand then don’t worry, you’re following the path of 90% of the real lifters out there. Most serious kb practitioners actually have different brand bells that they prefer for different exercises or weight.
If you are truly serious then please buy a bell & start swinging, trust me the rest will work itself out as you go. If you had just bought one bell a year ago when you first inquired, you’d be so far ahead now you wouldn’t recognise yourself.

Thanks for the reply.

I understand what you are saying fully. Buy one (or 2) KB's to start with, so I can start swinging/getups and 'add' as I progress. If i never progress... no need to spend money on what I cant lift. So that I agree with completely and will only buy one or 2 to start with as suggested.

But my question still remains and isnt negated by that... do I spend the $ on 1-2 rogue KB's or 1-2 Aussie Strength KBs?

In end if I never get past it, it wont matter, if i do and i add the next 1 and the next 1 and eventually add the bumper plates etc... well.. it would of been good to have started with that KB brand to begin with knowing the other equipment (should I get to them) were also top quality. It is just 'planning ahead' instead of just 'buy anything'. If I got the KB's for free, then different story. But when Im spending the $ on it... why spend it on 'anything' when I could of been specific with my purchase with long term in mind.

So again... does anyone have any experience with Aussie Strength? or is it some budget hype claimed company nobody seen/heard of, or worse, have used and found their stuff not to be as good as advertised... or anything?

Considering that some people can get pretty darn strong and fit using bodyweight and/or tossing around odd or found objects... I think it largely immaterial what brand of iron one buys. As Eddy Mercyx the legendary cyclist said... "Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades"

Sometimes I think there is too much hype over things like e-coat vs powder coat vs a chipped rusty hunk of iron.

But yes, I suppose if one is determined to spend their hard earned dollars (Australian or otherwise) on training gear, then it makes sense to purchase the best value for the buck.

You have gotten some good advice above. I can't comment on one brand over the other, other than, I suspect, based on your research, they are both excellent . In terms of one being rated for 195,000 psi and another being 215,000 psi etc, all that stuff is very over engineered and far beyond the specs any home gym will ever need or approach in terms of durability, safety and so forth. So don't worry about that - mostly stuff for the marketing department to impress buyers. Or for you to impress other gearheads.

I suggest you find a location where you can try each out for yourself. Some folks will like one or the other. Sometimes for silly reasons such as they like the color coding or they like all black because it is more masculine. Or just because.

I would suggest as a beginner just buy the one you get the best. Deal on and start swinging. If after 6 months you need to move up and you like what you have, buy that brand again. If something is niggling at you then try the other brand. Worst case you may have one odd KB.( which you can easily resellfor a small loss)

As far as buying all one brand remember, brands come and go. Rogue may decide not to supply the Aussie market next year or just before you want to buy the lasy matching piece. Aussie bells may go under from bad mgmt in a year or two or 5.

I actually recomment most beginners shop second hand. In Canada we have Kijiji and Craigslist as well as eBay and others. It will give you an idea of just how many people give up. And give you some deals to get started. Then once you get consistent you can decide on brands and can sell the used stuff you bought. Likely for the same price you paid for it.

After all you may, if you stick with it, decide you prefer all competition bells.

Just get whatever is cheaper. You'll probably never outgrow even a cheap bar.

Rogue Have 8kg-98kg, I haven't seen many companies (if any) that offer anything larger than 48kg. Even Kettlebells USA only go up to 48kg.

Would anything larger than 48kg ever be used, or once you get to that stage, you would be looking at barbell/dumbell work, in which case bigger than 48kg KB's would never really be used anyway?

So anyway, Rogue KettleBells are powdercoated and claim feel more natural than Epoxy finish.
The Aussie Strength KB's - Have no colour markings on the sides of handles (Rogue Do) but they do have their logo and the weight printed in the middle of the black bell. The Aussie strength one is E coated, which apparently lasts much longer and harder to chip than 'cheaper powder coating'.
First of all I don't know anything about Aussie Strength, but you definitely can't go wrong with Rogue KBs.
Second, you don't know the feeling of either powder- or e-coating, so whatever you'll get you won't know if the other feels better to you, because you have nothing to compare it to. Therefore whatever you get will be the right choice.
Third, there's no difference in chipping resistance between both coatings. It's just marketing bulls...t. You will find people with high quality e-coating KBs from quality manufacturers like DD that chip by just touching them (of course exaggeration) and on the other hand people with powder-coated no-name KBs that are virtually indestructible. You'll also find people that have made the exact opposite experience.
Just buy a 16 from one brand and a 24 from the other and compare how they feel to you. You will always be able to sell the one you don't like on ebay or whatever, because 16 & 24 are probably the most bought KB weights. The loss will also be small as you'll be able to sell the KB at 70% or higher of the original price.
I re-build my KB collection 2 times until I finally ended up with the ones I like the best, so trust me on this. Don't make the mistake of buying a whole collection from the start.

Looking at bumper plates... Rogue have the training bumper plates 2.0 - which are tested to 88 on the Durometer scale.

Aussie Strength say theirs is tested to 95 on the durometer - Seems better?
Higher durometer score doesn't mean it's better or more durable. It's a measurement of how much the bumpers bounce.
Lower durometer score = more bounce.
More bounce = less noise (if noise is an issue)

Then you got barbells - Aussie Strength have 215,000 PSI rated barbells, Rogue have 190,000 on the OHIO bar, while their Olympic bar is 215,000 PSI... etc...
Again see my first sentence and the posted video.
You'll never ever be strong enough to test out or feel the difference between a 190K or 215K PSI steel barbell.
Get the cheaper one or the one that looks better in your eyes, don't just get a 215K PSI bar just because you think the higher number means it's "better".
Things like bushings, the aggressiveness of the knurling or center-knurling/no center-knurling are far far more important than the PSI value.

Overall if you really want a uniform homegym you can't go wrong with Rogue.
You need to finally get going though.

Last edited:
Thanks for that.

I tried the E coated kettlebell yesterday at Aussie Strength. Felt really smooth - I don't see how that will stay in your hand when things get hot. I do prefer a bit more 'rough' if you will. So Powder Coat would be more my thing I guess (which would be rogue)

Both companies dont have centre knurl markings... both have the same type of IWF etc knurl markings on the bars. So that is the same - The Knurl markings to me on the Aussie Strength bars, felt a little... well no different to the cheap 25mm bars which are not olympic but standard bars. Was quite smooth, i could slide my hand up and down the knurl and it felt like 'yeah little rough but quite smooth'. I don't know what Rogues are like, and whether you want rougher/dont want rougher... Anyone on this???? If you do want rougher... just not too much... maybe rogue again then.

PSI was different... but Rogue do have a 215,000 - it is their olympic weightlifting bar... only thing is, that will have more whip than their ohio bar. Having said that...

I think like you have mentioned, it comes down to the fact neither will break. One might be using 11 gauge steel and the other 50 gauge steel (exaggeration), one can sell for a lot more cause it is indestructible even by a bomb... but... reality is... you will never break either one.

I also found out from Aussie strength while i was there, that their competition plates are not calibrated as i thought they were. They are just comp plates but can be out in terms of grams.

I just think Rogue is more 'known' so more likely to be around when you need it. These guys... dunno. Might offer lifetime warranty, but if they go under as a company, that warranty wont mean anything, while Rogue supply the cross fit games, their stuff 'has' to work and if it aint breaking for those guys doing that, it sure hell wont break here.

So I think perhaps staying with a known brand name, is the safest thing to do given price is pretty much same between the 2.

I asked Aussie strength where they make there stuff, it is made south east Asia. Rogue is made in America.
They told me the steel they use they use in the cranes in Asia.... you know those big heavy 100 ton cranes? So their steel will never break, its 4mm thick (which is more than 11 gauge)...

They also paint their power racks inside/outside with a special resin so you can leave it out in the rain and it will not rust. Rogue on other hand powdercoat, and that would rust?

I only have space outside (under an awning) - will my rogue stuff rust?

Thats kinda where im little stuck on what to do.

Buy 16kg kettlebell from Rogue (future uniform kbs covered). Start Simple & Sinister (awesome beginner routine covered). Worry about bumpers, bars, knurlings, PSI’s, steel gauges, resin coated power racks etc, later, you’ll have heaps of time to research that stuff while you’re getting strong with kbs & SS.

If you decide to buy lots of Rogue gear check their prices out near some special occasion as they can vary a lot. I'm planning on getting some barbell gear and I will patiently wait until Black Friday comes up and make the purchase then. The sale was a big one last year.

Lot of words in this thread

1.) Not everything Rogue makes is 3x3 (unless that's all they ship to Aus)
2.) I've done a lot of research on barbells and it seems like once you get to 190k tensile strength, you have nothing to worry about unless you're an elite lifter. Also from what I understand, yield strength is more importantly than tensile but companies don't list that for some reason.
3.) Does Strength Shop have an Aus shop? I know they have US, UK and some other shops. I've had my eye on a lot of stuff from them to buy.

So Powder Coat would be more my thing I guess

Powder Coating in general terms does not necessarily mean a rough surface. It depends upon the type of powder used. You can get very smooth high gloss surfaces with powder coating.

I think I am going to stick to Rogue in the end.

Aussie Strength may be 'all that extra' - But... it isn't a company that has been around very long and whether it survives for years to come or not is a ?.

My gut feeling simply says "Rogue are the official supplier for the cross-fit games... if Rogue gear can handle that level of strength/fitness and volume of people using it daily, then it will never break at home with just one person using it for 30min a day.

I feel its like saying should I buy Eleiko or a name (one you never heard of) because that unheard company has XXX amount more tensil strength than Eleiko.

Now Eleiko would be nice... but at $100000000000 - I think Rogue is the next best option lol

I spoke to rogue usa to ask about their stuff. 11gauge steel is not as thick as 4mm. it is rated to over 1000lbs - aussie strength (A.S) is rated to 6000lbs.

I asked rogue about the finish on uprights... the uprights are bare steel on inside. A.S on other hand have the inside coated so it wont rust in or out.

Would be nice if Rogue made the effort to coat the inside.

How prone is that to rust?

My stuff will be outside under the awning, rogue said their powder coat wont oxidize outside... but when it gets dew from cold mornings.. wont the insides of uprights go to sh#% because it is bare or will the insides not get wet from dew/moisture in air?

You said you’re going to start with kettlebells then move to barbell as you progress. My suggestion would be to buy a 16kg kettlebell, any 16kg kettlebell. Then if it’s not to your liking then you’ve wasted money on one of the lighter kbs, much better than wasting money on a whole set of kbs plus a whole set of bumpers & bars that to be honest you can’t be sure your going to stick with. I say “can’t be sure” because no one is until they actually start & see if the commitment is really for them. From my experience their seems to two types starting out with training: the person who really wants to train & starts as soon as possible with whatever they got at hand or gym, they learn & get better as they go & gather more equipment as they progress & is needed.
The other person really likes the idea of training, they buy the whole set of the best equipment available before they are even capable of using 90% of it, then they search for the best program ever invented, then they follow said program until they get bored & or the next best program comes along, eventually they quit still not having used 90% of their equipment.
I’ve seen some hardcore home gyms in my time owned by some hardcore lifelong lifters & one thing they all have in common is they are nowhere near “uniform”, most have started by what they could scrap together & used to death & added along the way. Check out the “courage corner “ thread on the forum.
I’m only saying this to try & help, I’ve seen it with friends in the past get excited buy a truck load of stuff then go on to sell it for a loss later cause the phase past.
If you cannot swing or getup with a 16kg kb, then sorry IMO you have no business buying a whole set of kbs up to & above the 48. Or a whole set of bumpers ready for when you out grow the kbs.
So I ask you, what size kb can you swing & getup with? Whatever it is buy one of that weight, when you are progressing well then get the next one up. If they don’t end up being the same brand then don’t worry, you’re following the path of 90% of the real lifters out there. Most serious kb practitioners actually have different brand bells that they prefer for different exercises or weight.
If you are truly serious then please buy a bell & start swinging, trust me the rest will work itself out as you go. If you had just bought one bell a year ago when you first inquired, you’d be so far ahead now you wouldn’t recognise yourself.

Well... I have concluded my search.

I have decided over all I want to do a 5x5 strength program, not kettlebell work. This has been something I started to do back in 2006 but had an unfortunate accident which stuffed my entire upper back area (car accident) to which I had to stop.

Anyway, I have decided to return back to good old faithful and go 5x5 again.

Having said that, I have also considered what you have said... and I have found a cheap gym supplier (good quality just costs little in comparison) to buy the squat stand, barbell, weight plates (cast iron) and bench.

Having looked at rogue, just to get a standard squat stand (not a power rack) a pair of 1.25, 2.5, 5, 10, 20kg olympic cast iron plates, the flat bench they offer and the Ohio bar... it would be around $2000-$2100 +/-

This 'cheaper' place, I can get a squat stand rated to 600kg, for $175 (Rogue charge $1100 with spotting arms), their weight plates are $3 per kg (fair bit less than rogue), Bar is rated to 1500lbs (650kg) with needle bearings and hardened chrome with a 205,000 PSI tensil strength ($235 for the bar vs $500 +/- for the rogue one with 190k PSI tensil strength).

Anyway, all 4 items will end up costing me around $700 compare to $2000.

Gym membership here is nearly $600 for a year, + petrol to go 3 times a week, would cost over $1300 for 1 year... at least this way, buying this equipment for 700, it is less than going to a gym and I can keep it for life or sell it in the future and get some of my cost back (gym membership I cant get refund on). If I love training and go really hard at it, I can always buy rogue or whatever I find in the future to replace this, or may never need to replace it and just add to it and dont worry about it, ain't broke don't fix it. If I find gym training is not for me... well at least I can get 60-70% of my money back selling this stuff, while gym membership is non refundable. So in a way, im paying myself the gym membership by getting the stuff with the ability to keep it for life or sell for a partial refund. Beats the gym either way!

So thank you and I look forward to starting next week.

I'd like to see that one in its original language (if he didn't say it in English).

-S-
Might be one of those apocryphal quotes...
It probably doesn't work in Flemish, or French. But if anyone would have the sentiment of that quote he would...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom