all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Back on track - questions about programming

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

erwin

Level 2 Valued Member
Hello guys!

I am coming back from a longer break of strength training and I need some advice from you. In the last months I did only some running with almost zero strength training. Now I am back with new ideas and goals.
I want to focus on the following exercises: military press, dips or push ups, pull ups. I want to do a program that focus on strength and hypertrophy. So I have diceded to do the russian bear (with some changes) and the fighter pull up program.
Here is my plan:
Mo: Militarypress + Pull ups
Tue: Deadlift with a snatch grip
Wed: Dips or Push up + austrailien pull ups?
Thu: Rest
Fri: Repeat

Russian bear changes:
only 8-10 backoffsets (instead of up to 20)

My question:
Should I do push ups or dips?
With what back exercise can I complement my wednesday workout?
How can I implement running in my program, so I can conserve my running performance?

My goals:
Looking better (leaner + more muscle mass)
having fun (getting stronger in the exercise + doing the exercises that I like)

All the best
Erwin

Being as you haven't been lifting, and Pavel recommends the Bear after reaching some fair strength, I would just do your lifts spread over 2 or 3 days per week for now, keep volume low to moderate, and give yourself time to adapt to running with the lifting. You could probably do well with Tactical Barbell's Fighter or Operator. Then when you get stronger and know you can conserve your running performance, if you want to run the Bear, note that Pavel has that for 3 days a week - 1 day DL, 2 days press. I wouldn't try to do more than what Pavel suggests and expect to conserve running performance, the Bear is supposed to be a bit of a bear to do.

Thank you for the input.
@Steve A
I think its okay for me to do the russian bear program (with some adaptations), because it workout really well for me the last time I used it. I got pretty good strength gains and muscel mass.
I havent really good experiences with the tactical barbell programs. Its to low on volume for me.

@Mark Limbaga
yeah I can do this (started yesterday).
any advice on my questions?

Since we're working withe minimal data, our inputs are educated guesses at best..if you can give us your lifting numbers, we can give better answers:)

Hello guys!

I am coming back from a longer break of strength training and I need some advice from you. In the last months I did only some running with almost zero strength training. Now I am back with new ideas and goals.
I want to focus on the following exercises: military press, dips or push ups, pull ups. I want to do a program that focus on strength and hypertrophy. So I have diceded to do the russian bear (with some changes) and the fighter pull up program.
Here is my plan:
Mo: Militarypress + Pull ups
Tue: Deadlift with a snatch grip
Wed: Dips or Push up + austrailien pull ups?
Thu: Rest
Fri: Repeat

Russian bear changes:
only 8-10 backoffsets (instead of up to 20)

My question:
Should I do push ups or dips?
With what back exercise can I complement my wednesday workout?
How can I implement running in my program, so I can conserve my running performance?

My goals:
Looking better (leaner + more muscle mass)
having fun (getting stronger in the exercise + doing the exercises that I like)

All the best
Erwin
Before recommending pushups or dips, my question would be what are your baseline? How are your shoulders and elbows? I personally like both but I honestly feel more people can work pushups with better form for longer periods of time. Dips can get tricky for those who are restricted in shoulders, tspine mobility and of course elbows. I would be happy to help further with the above questions answered. Without those answers ...my go to would be a progression of the OAPU.

How long did you go without strength training?

How long did you strength train before that layoff?

@Mark Limbaga
@WxHerk
Right now my numbers for the lifts are:
Militarypress 1x45kg
Deadlift 1x90kg
other lifts i dont know

My best was:
Militarypress 1x45kg
Deadlift 1x145kg
Squat 1x120kg
Benchpress 1x90kg

@Karen Smith
I have no problems with my shoulders, elbows or tspine mobility. I have already done dips for a longer period.

Hey guys,

I have been training according to my new training plan for the last few days. It is pretty nice, although my latissimus is already getting a lot of abuse (=feels tired). We will see where it will go.
Another thing is, that I can't cope with the australien pull ups. The are ok, dont get me wrong. But I cant go to my limits with this exercise. I dont know who to discripe this well. If I do pull ups, I can push myself harder.
Can you recommend a better exercise for me (pls no barbell rowing)?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom