all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Back spasms again when i get going

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Joeyboy

Level 4 Valued Member
I am getting back in to kettlebells and overdid it, as usual. I got back spasm bad enough to call off from work.

My questions are:

1. Will riding a stationary bike help recovery from back spasms?
2. In the program swings really aren't used. Should I add swings? Before when I used kettlebells, I did 10x10 swings plus other....snatches, cleans, etc with no issues every time I exercised and worked up nicely.

I was using doubles when I caused this. Doubles are new for me. I purchased another 12kg and just received another 16kg so I will have lighter doubles. Getting close to 60 years old is tough.

Thanks

1. Will riding a stationary bike help recovery from back spasms?
Not really.
First you need to know what triggers those back spasms and fix that. Usually back pain is developed over time by performing a movement incorrectly, using heavy loads too often and too soon and weak abdominal muscles, are some commune causes.
Make sure you work on your abdominal muscles (stronger abs protect your lower back), The McGill big 3 is a great way to fix that.
Perform some light work for 2 weeks or so and see how you feel.
Make sure you keep good technique when training.
Review your training program and make adjustment if necessary.
2. In the program swings really aren't used. Should I add swings? Before when I used kettlebells, I did 10x10 swings plus other....snatches, cleans, etc with no issues every time I exercised and worked up nicely.
What program is that?
But yes you can add some swings in your training, but for now keep the volume low.

Not really.
First you need to know what triggers those back spasms and fix that. Usually back pain is developed over time by performing a movement incorrectly, using heavy loads too often and too soon and weak abdominal muscles, are some commune causes.
Make sure you work on your abdominal muscles (stronger abs protect your lower back), The McGill big 3 is a great way to fix that.

What program is that?
But yes you can add some swings in your training, but for now keep the volume low.
I have to agree with @daniel vintila on McGill Big 3. I do them daily, and as a warmup before kbells, barbells or bodyweight exercises, and I'll be 71 in about 4 months. Sounds like you've been inactive for a while and overdid it with double cleans or snatches. If you were de-trained for a while, even double 16's may be too much. On the McGill B3, there's actually a warm-up move, called something like a cat-stretch or something like that. I thought originally that it was kind of pointless, but after watching or listening Stuart McGill say how it's important and to be done gently, to get blood flowing into your back muscles. So I do about 20-25 of them before starting the other three. The whole thing probably only takes a few minutes. Right now if your back spasming, even McGill may be too much. Easy walks always helped mine. I remember Larry Bird, the great basketball player, suffered back spasms and eventually had back surgery. His recovery had him walking up to 10 miles a day. Take it easy, get well, and hope to see you posting.

Not really.

What program is that?
I got one of Chandler Marchman's programs. It has routines, which I like, and beginner up to advanced. I got both the basic and hard-core version. The hard-core version uses more double kettlebells.

I have de-trained. My heaviest kb is 24kg. When I was training in was ready to go up to 32kg but stopped training. I was easily doing oh swings, presses and snatches.

My mind doesn't compute that two 16kg is heavier than one 24kg. My back isn't ready and I knew this was going to happen.

This is all great advice and I will follow it and look at the McGill Big 3. My abs are weak. I used to do supermans and lower ab before but did not reincorporate that in. Supermans seem to help me but I need to be careful right now.

I have to stay strong for my wife because she can't lift anything. Just when I started to make gains with my legs.....lol.

I did find out I have slight arthritis in my lower back when I retired from from the military 13 years ago and strained the same area that gives me issues in 1994.

I have to stay strong for my wife because she can't lift anything
That's a great reason to be strong. Strong people should lift others or in your case lift for others :).
Reduce a bit the intensity of your work and get that abs work in. Also if you're gonna go lower in weight, just do it slower and work on that movement pattern. The weights will go up slowly slowly in the next few months as long as you keep yourself healthy. At the end of the day is not about how much we lift but how we lift.
Anyway keep it up with the great job and massive respect for your work.

Just tried the Big 3 and I like them.

Thinking about my training maybe I should stay with single cleans and single snatches. I should be able to incorporate double alternate 12 and 16kg presses using low numbers. I can do OH 16 kb swings for a while.

I will also decrease my reverse lunge weight to improve form.

If I stick with this for a good month to two months, longer if needed, I should be good. No need to rush to immobilization.

Just tried the Big 3 and I like them.

Thinking about my training maybe I should stay with single cleans and single snatches. I should be able to incorporate double alternate 12 and 16kg presses using low numbers. I can do OH 16 kb swings for a while.

I will also decrease my reverse lunge weight to improve form.

If I stick with this for a good month to two months, longer if needed, I should be good. No need to rush to immobilization.
Yeah sounds good. Try to listen to your body and your main focus shouldn't be numbers but mainly form. When form is not on point anymore on a certain exercise call it a day. As I said numbers will eventually go up, but you need to be healthy for that to happen.
Keep Living Strong !

I am getting back in to kettlebells and overdid it, as usual. I got back spasm bad enough to call off from work.
See a doctor and make sure you've not done serious damage to yourself. Recover first, then concern yourself with exercise. In meantime, if you can walk, do that.

See a StrongFirst Certified Instructor for instruction on your form.

2. In the program swings really aren't used. Should I add swings?

What program? If you add swings and they're not in the program, then you're not following that program any longer. Good for us to know what program you were attempting to follow.

Getting close to 60 years old is tough.

Better thinking can help compensate for a slightly less better functioning body, specifically making better choices in exercise and program selection, and in adapting to how the rest of life affects your exercise.

-S-

See a doctor and make sure you've not done serious damage to yourself. Recover first, then concern yourself with exercise. In meantime, if you can walk, do that.

See a StrongFirst Certified Instructor for instruction on your form.

What program? If you add swings and they're not in the program, then you're not following that program any longer. Good for us to know what program you were attempting to follow.

Better thinking can help compensate for a slightly less better functioning body, specifically making better choices in exercise and program selection, and in adapting to how the rest of life affects your exercise.

-S-
I hurt my lower back in 1994 lifting weights. The same area is the area that gives me issues when I get stupid with kettlebells and don't use logic.

I hurt my left rotator cuff in 2013 getting on top of a 6ft fence. I could not raise my arm. I was doing kettlebells at that time but only up to 16kg. My strength was good for what I had. I took NSAIDs used ice and rested. Then I rehabbed my shoulder using kettlebell training. I have a 8kg and 12kg, also. Using those, it took me two years to get back to my original strength and form with my left shoulder. I worked up to a single 24kg kettlebell with no issues doing OH swings, snatches, cleans push press to stick press. Then I stopped training.

I also have issues with my lower back and shoulders if I don't workout, which is where I am now and the reason I started back. I have been to the doctor about my shoulders when I was kid and was told I have weak joints.

That really is the crux of my issues.....stopping training and stupidity.

Seeing a certified instructor may not be a bad idea.

Concerning following a program, I am getting better.

@Joeyboy, it sounds like you have a good handle on what causes you problems - I wish you success in following what you know will work and will keep you healthy.

Seeing a certified instructor may not be a bad idea.

Yes, it's a very good idea.

-S-

+1 to walking and to the Big3

Dr McGill recommends walking at a brisk pace, the rhythmic movement of the arms seems to decompress the discs of the lumbar region. Multiple short walks of 15mins or so seem better than a long one.

For the Big3, this clip from another thread is a very good detailed description.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom