all posts post new thread

Barbell Back Squat - elbow issues?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

wespom9

Level 6 Valued Member
I notice when I do back squats, my UCL on my elbows gets pretty tender. Anyone else notice this? It's on both sides. Occurs when I keep the shoulder width -ish grip width taught at the SFL. Noticed it there, wasn't too bad. Finally have put some consistently in my program and really noticing it. Not pain, but definitely tender/sore after each set.

It's usually a sign that you're carrying too much weight on your hands and not your back. Small adjustments can make a big difference, but you have to take a moment to feel the weight on your back when you stand up with the weight, and then also focus on it during the squat as well (hard to do when there's so much going on within it, but necessary). After your set is finished but before you rack the weight, same thing, take a moment to feel where the weight is. You should still feel it on your back and not in your hands. Any chance of a video of your squat? I'd go further into more detail on grip, bar placement, chest, t-spine tighness, lats, etc... but could be barking up the wrong tree depending on what the squat looks like.

Might have a to wait a few days to video, but I find its when I really "become one" with the bar, tight the grip and pull it down. That's what seems to cause the stress. Doesn't hurt to get into the initial position until I create the tension prior to lifting the bar off the rack.

I find its when I really "become one" with the bar, tight the grip and pull it down. That's what seems to cause the stress.

Easy fix, then. Don't do that. Really. I know what you mean, as I learned the same thing at SFL, and while I don't think the cue is necessarily wrong I think that it can be overdone, especially if you are relying on that to create the tension. You want the bar to be tight and locked in on your back but it's a combination of things that do that. If the combo is not there and you try to create it all with the pulling down action, it exceeds the intent.

So I would say lighten up on the pulling down, and ensure these elements are in place: bar is in correct position on your back, big chest and tight upper back create a shelf of muscle on your rear delts for the bar, grip is as narrow as your shoulder mobility will allow, elbows are slightly up (behind your torso) but not too far up, and close to the ribcage. This tight bar position needs to then be maintained througout the squat, not just in the standing position.

Don't forget to properly warm up the muscles on the back side of your shoulder (external rotators). They are partially responsible for putting your shoulder in that position during the rear rack of a back squat.

3x15 face pulls
3x5 prone snow angels
3x10 sec kb arm bar

I get medial elbow pain from back squatting. You may want to try a thumb-less grip, and possibly widening your grip too. Not ideal, but if it lets you squat pain-free, it may worth trying.

Bunch of people I know are dealing with this right now. I had a bad spell of it a while back and had to front squat on my light days and bench and press before squats. I like the way the first video describes tight back but loose arms. I keep telling them to get their hands up on the bar but they revert and the wrists are bent on their heavy sets. Thanks for posting this I will try to describe it to them this way.

I notice when I do back squats, my UCL on my elbows gets pretty tender. Anyone else notice this? It's on both sides. Occurs when I keep the shoulder width -ish grip width taught at the SFL. Noticed it there, wasn't too bad. Finally have put some consistently in my program and really noticing it. Not pain, but definitely tender/sore after each set.

Hi @wespom9!
Focus on extending your thoracic spine. The more you extend it, less stress you get on your shoulders and elbows. If you don't get your T-spine extended you need more mobility in your shoulders.

So, to get your T-spine in that position, you need to stop extending your hips at the end when doing low bar back squats. The weight should be supported by your back and shoulders, not your hands. To keep it on your back you have to keep your hips behind a bit...or flex your T-spine :)

So, first get your hips behind and stop extending them like in Front squats, and then focus on your T-spine.

I hope it helps...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom