all posts post new thread

Barbell Back squat vs deadlift

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Lyssusus

Level 4 Valued Member
Hi,

do you guys have any opinions on the differences between back squat vs deadlift benefits for overall strength and health?

I've always been a kind of a back squat guy, mostly because I was really inspired by mr. Mark Rippetoe work and his style of programming (Starting Strength, Texas Method etc.). I still think that he's great in terms of teaching barbells but while doing his programming - focused mostly on back squat - I always ended up beat up, overtrained and injured which seriously hindered my progression and frustrated me long term.

I can see that Strongfirst community is much more deadlift - oriented. I have to say, that when I switched to more of a deadlift/swing focused programs I feel much better and stronger overall. I know that its's mostly because of Pavel's programming approach focused on lifting as fresh as possible, but maybe ditching the back squat was also a big factor here? What do you guys think?

Hello, @Lyssusus, and if I haven't said so before, welcome to the StrongFirst forum.

do you guys have any opinions on the differences between back squat vs deadlift benefits for overall strength and health?
Yes. The back squat is most people's choice for getting bigger and stronger both. The deadlift rewards tension skills and is a better choice for people who want to stay in their current weight class.

That said, lots of people do both, typically squatting more than they deadlift because there is carryover from the squat to the deadlift - the most carryover is from the low-bar back squat, and there is less when the bar is carried higher, and less when you're doing the front squat, IMO.

So the choice will depend largely on that you're trying to accomplish. Powerlifting? Do both. Trying to add 20 lbs. of muscle this year? Squat.

I've always been a kind of a back squat guy, mostly because I was really inspired by mr. Mark Rippetoe work and his style of programming (Starting Strength, Texas Method etc.). I still think that he's great in terms of teaching barbells but while doing his programming - focused mostly on back squat - I always ended up beat up, overtrained and injured which seriously hindered my progression and frustrated me long term.
You have yourself a fine reason, then, to try different programming.

I can see that Strongfirst community is much more deadlift - oriented. I have to say, that when I switched to more of a deadlift/swing focused programs I feel much better and stronger overall. I know that its's mostly because of Pavel's programming approach focused on lifting as fresh as possible, but maybe ditching the back squat was also a big factor here? What do you guys think?
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If you feel much better and stronger overall following Pavel's programming approach, I'd do that. It's worked well for a lot of us and helped restore functionality to a lot of broken bodies.

In your place, I'd consider ditching the back squat and putting another squat in its place, e.g., S&S has goblet squats as part of the warmup. Some world-record-holding powerlifters have been happy front squatting a pair of 40 kg kettlebells - I think the double kb FSQ is a great movement, and I throw in sets of 5 with a pair of 24's as a "variety" kind of activity into my lifting regularly. (For a great tutorial on the 2-kb FSQ, look up More Russian Kettlebell Challenges online - it's pirated but it's also unavailable for purchase any longer. If memory serves, from about 9:30 to 17:30, Pavel covers this movement in great details.)

-S-

There is no harm in temporarily changing your focus from the squat to the deadlift. When you get back to the squat you will go through a period of time where you will need to refine your technique again and then you will be able to progress past your previous point.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom