all posts post new thread

Barbell Back Squats and Running

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Update: I'm into week 4 of this now - I'm following Tactical Barbell Operator template for my squats, meaning 3x a week, mostly 3x5. And I've been doing long, easy running 3-4x a week (never on the same day).

The first 3 weeks were no problem at all - in fact my running felt really good. But coming out of the 3rd week, I'm experiencing a bit of an energy crash - has been really difficult for me to wake up in the morning to get my runs in. I've missed one for this week, and kept today's short just based on how I tired was feeling. Week 3 is heavy squats (3x3 @ 90%), so it's not terribly surprising - may just be telling me that after heavy week, I should plan for a lower-volume run week. Could also just be that my run on Sunday was harder than it should have been (i.e. too long, too fast).

But, aside from the energy crash, things seem to be OK. I'm not experiencing any soreness in the legs. But I think part of it is also that I'm not pushing the squat that hard yet - this is the first time back under the bar in many years, and I feel like right now there are a bunch of little stabilizer muscles that are acting as the limiting factor on my squat weight - need to keep working to recovery that strength and stability before I get to any big weights.

So... jury is still out.

I have to double check my copy of TB2, but every third week of conditioning’s supposed to be “Easy Week” to coincide with the heavy strength days. Volume and/or intensity are halved for the conditioning sessions.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom