all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Back to Basics. Need some guidance.

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Jason Wentworth

First Post
Hey SF family,

This is my first post on the forum since completing my SFG1 in May.

I hate to admit it, being the "strong fit guy" in my family and group of friends, but I am strangely more comfortable coming forward with my problem to a group of strangers, because I know it will be so well received by the StrongFirst community. So here it goes.

Somewhere along the line, I became so busy and focused on opening my own gym and training my students that I somehow managed to regress in my own physical condition. And it came on very strong, with lots of complications.

According to my physical therapist my hips are now crooked, for lack of a better word. She's prescribed some corrective exercises, so I am working towards relief on the clinical side.

With constant pain in my left knee from the imbalance in my hips, I haven't been able to train. My experience is telling me that it's time to dial back my training and get back to basics. Can anyone recommend some programming to help me redevelop my foundational strength and movement patterns? I'm so out of whack right now. I just need to start over. I've heard good things about gold medal bodies floor and fountains courses. I'm just looking for some guidance.

Thanks for reading everyone. Stay strong. Happy holidays!

Sometimes a step backward to go forward is needed. Don't hesitate to take some time slowing down and rebuilding for your future.

Being in the healthcare field, I feel the pressure to be and act healthy, and also have constraints on my time and energy. Some things to think about:
1. Being real about the struggles have helped me connect to people, lend empathy, and possibly have a bigger impact.
2. Practicing what I preach is good motivation.
3. Time and energy challenges have led me to be creative/smarter about my training and lifestyle. Embrace this. Win.

Hopefully that helped you feel better about your situation.

Check if you have clearance from your therapist to do other training/mobility stuff outside of therapy.

In my personal experience, if something is not working right, it is sometimes compensating for a problem elsewhere in the body. After you get this issue worked out with therapy, I'd recommend exploring movement issues over your whole body. See if the rest of your body moves well. The body is connected.

@Jason Wentworth Crooked hips? What type of exercises has your PT prescribed for you?

Not knowing anything about you I would still recommend checking out the Original Strength website and their books. This would be a good place to get back to basics.

Hello,

my hips are now crooked
With constant pain in my left knee from the imbalance in my hips
Can anyone recommend some programming to help me redevelop my foundational strength and movement patterns?
I would go for slow and deep squat (first unloaded, and then, once you get proper technique, with a load). Some crawling, and "frog jumps" may also be worth considering.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Thanks everyone,

I realize without having a clinical diagnoses for you it's hard to get help in regards to actually addressing the issue. I have been approved for light/moderate exercise so long as in not loading the knee with heavy weight on a regular basis. Bodyweight and resting squats are totally ok. Training the knee seems to make it feel better. Yoga has been amazing for keeping me moving.

I guess I am asking for some program/guidance on some bodyweight and floor movement. Gold Medal Bodies has some programs that involve a lot of crawling, resting squats, and other work on the floor. So does MovNat.

So Ill rephrase my question. If you had someone who needed to work on overall mobility and movement patterns, and they couldn't lift heavy weights, what would you suggest for them?

Prying goblet squats. If no weight, hold onto something in front of your for support as needed.

-S-

Feldenkrais is worth exploring......
Check out the book better movement by todd hargrove and the related website with feldenkrais sessions downloads. I've had some really wonderful movement 'events' that have made a difference in themselves and made me more aware of myself and all the stupid ways I move, or don't..
As you stay well clear of pain, the lessons are very gentle and restorative.

A few years I won the trifecta with a bad elbow, shoulder and knee all coming on at once. In recuperation, a physiotherapist gave me a copy of Body By Science (in summary, five machine-based compound exercises with the weights moved slowly) and recommended I start with the lowest weight that caused no pain and move the weight as slowly as possible, increasing weight the minimum when I surpassed 90 seconds on any exercise. I tell you, it worked like a charm. It got me back in the swing of exercise, provided full-body workout with the right amount of tension/frequency to get me back into regular training stronger than before. I wouldn't train that way normally but in terms of recovery from injury it worked wonders for me

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom