all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Backyard gym for bodyweight exercises?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Smile-n-Nod

Level 5 Valued Member
Can anyone recommend a simple backyard "gym" that can facilitate doing bodyweight exercises that cannot be done easily without an apparatus of some sort? Thanks.

s-l400.jpg

I gather you're after a pull-up bar and some parallel bars for dips. I've found a number of tutorials online for how to build one yourself using fence posts and lengths of metal pipe (Garden Pull-Up/chin-up Bar). You could also just build the pull-up bar and use a pair of gymnastic rings for dips.

Or, there are versions built out of scaffolding tubes and clamps that will hold-up quite well under a variety of weather conditions, are fairly easy to assemble and may not require you to make holes in your lawn.

If you're not in the mood for constructing something yourself, you might want to look on ebay, craigslist etc. for anyone selling a squat cage or similar, as these often have a pull-up bar built-in and, if you can find one locally for a good price that's already a little dinged-up, it doesn't really matter if the bolts get rusty from being left outside.

If you have a sturdy tree in your garden that's of a decent height, a TRX or set of gymnastic rings will let you perform a variety of pulling movements (pull-ups, rows, curls etc.) as well as dips, unstable push-ups and so on. If you have access to two trees that are close together, a length of bamboo and some sturdy, weather-proof rope you can lash together a primitive, Robinson Crusoe pull-up bar.

I hope this is helpful.

Basically you only need a sturdy branch where you can hang your gymnastic rings at. That way you can do pull ups, dips etc.

But you can make yourself a pretty solid pvc pull up bar if you use 40-55mm thick pipes. And def use special pvc glue. This construction is lightweight and you can store it in your garage or basement

Can anyone recommend a simple backyard "gym" that can facilitate doing bodyweight exercises that cannot be done easily without an apparatus of some sort? Thanks.

This is a bit of a strange question. It all depends on what you want to train right? The more involved in Calisthenics you get, the more equipment you might need.

For the most basics training, you'll simply need a bar and a dipping station. Rings could cover both, provided you're strong enough to do Ring Dip correctly.

If you're a bit more advanced, you might acquire some parallettes. They're useful for some L-sit, Straddle L regressions, as well as Handstands. Also a wood board for Handstands (grass and cements aren't great for HS work).

If you're even more advanced, you might start to think about a set up for Flags. But Flags are pretty overrated and 99% of people do them with terrible form anyways o_O.

For the really serious people, then Handstand blocks (for One-arm Handstand preparation) are a must.

Your level and goals dictate your equipment choice, not the other way around!! :)

This is a bit of a strange question.
It's the kind of question that beginners ask...because I am one. :)
Actually, I don't even know what my goals should be, from a beginner's standpoint. I've been doing kettlebells for a couple months, but it seems that adding some bodyweight exercises, like pullups, would be helpful--as would being able to hang from a bar to help my spine. I'm just trying to figure out what kind of "gym" I should consider making to facilitate some of these bodyweight exercises.

It's the kind of question that beginners ask...because I am one. :)
Actually, I don't even know what my goals should be, from a beginner's standpoint. I've been doing kettlebells for a couple months, but it seems that adding some bodyweight exercises, like pullups, would be helpful--as would being able to hang from a bar to help my spine. I'm just trying to figure out what kind of "gym" I should consider making to facilitate some of these bodyweight exercises.
Gotcha. I still stand by what I said. Your exercise choice should dictate the equipment.

As a beginner, I think a Pullup bar and a set of rings is what you'd want. The rings for rows and the bar for Pullups. I wouldn't get too exotic with Dipping. Kettlebells work has little bent arm pulling (so calisthenics pairs up well) but it has bent arm pushing so if you're pressing regularly, you might not need to dip much.

Simple one......if you have a fixed structure. One upright post concreted in the ground. Fix a bar to it and to your fixed structure, ie side of your house. Depending on your building skills, confidence (?) and state of your fixed structure you could use an additional support for the bar, an angle underneath to take further load, giving you more piece of mind. Pretty easy to do.
For something removable. Fix a clamp to the wall of your house. 2 upright scaffold poles with a bar/pole joining them. 2 lengths of scaffold on the floor the same height as the uprights with a T junction halfway to fix the uprights. Take it all down if you need to want to, leaving the clamp attached to the wall.
I was going to make one myself but found a pull up station nearby, so no need. And I have rings hanging in my conservatory anyway, so double no need. But if I do, it'll be a 4" treated timber post with a bar attached to the side of my house. I'd make it fairly wide and plant a nice climbing plant for it to travel up the post, for a bit of gardening splendour and nice smells to maintain the marital bliss. Or in builder's parlance, to keep the missus happy.

s-l400.jpg
I'm very happy with my doorframe pullup bar and a set of rings that I hang from the bar. Pullups, rows, ring pushups, straight arm ring supports, and dips are all within reach with just rings and a bar. I have a set of parallettes that I made but I don't use them much. The rings are a great substitute for them, though much more challenging, at least at first. Parallettes can help with L-sit holds if you can't do them on the floor. And if you advance to full depth handstand pushups, they can help you there too. But overall, the bar and rings alone will keep you busy for a long time.

Hello,

Like @Baron von Raschke I use a PU bar with a pair of rings in a flat. To work on bdw, this is all one needs. If you eventually add some kb, you get a perfect gym ;)

Kind regards,

Pet'

This is indeed an excellent set up for bodyweight training. FYI, you get amazing pec activation doing push ups on the rings if you cross your arms in front of your chest in the top position of the movement. It's similar to bringing the dumbbells together at the top in dumbbell flyes on a bench but a lot more satisfying and you'll get great abdominal activation to boot.

Here's a vid demonstrating what I'm talking about:

He demonstrates the push ups on the rings at 5 minutes and 20 seconds.

Hello,

Rings also give an impressive core work because you are oblige to always stabilize your position. This is the same for arms when you are doing push ups for instance. I tried a OAPU using ring. It tends to be a very difficult challenge !

Rings also permit a natural position of joints when you do OA Chin ups, or FL / BL.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I also advice to use rings or something similar that allows movement. With a fixed bar most people experience sooner or later elbow problems.

Hello,

TRX can also be an option. Nonetheless, some technique will differ due to the grip change.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

TRX can also be an option. Nonetheless, some technique will differ due to the grip change.

Kind regards,

Pet'
I have a TRX (a cheaper imitation, in fact, but the build-quality is excellent) and I've trained with it a bit in the past. I would say that, overall, gymanistic rings offer more flexibility and more moves (you can't do dips or pull-ups with a TRX), however the TRX is a little easier/quicker to set-up as it needs only one anchor point and setting it up in the park on a sturdy tree branch for a training session outdoors on a sunny morning is a very enjoyable way to train.

It might be worth bringing both the TRX and gymnastic rings to the park once the weather improves here and do a proper side-by-side comparison.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom