all posts post new thread

Barbell Balance in barbell exercises

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Michael D

Level 1 Valued Member
I started doing some basic barbell exercises: bench press, squat, overhead press. I noticed that I have a hard time keeping the barbell parallel to the floor, especially on presses. I know that my left hand/arm is a bit weaker, but I am guessing most of the imbalance comes from the lack of proper coordination... This happens even when I work with an empty 20kg barbell.

Is there anything I can do to fix this during the lifts? Also are there any complementary exercises I can do on the off days to improve the balance?

If you don't feel any pain, try and find an FMS in your area to run a screen. If in pain, a medical visit is in order.

I think we all develop imbalances for a bunch of different reasons. I would stick with higher reps (8-12) for fixing imbalances. Heavier seems to make imbalances worse for me. Also the added movement pattern practice will help. I think single arm presses are too easy to press a little different on each side and potentially make it worse. Double unilateral presses, has been more effective for me to identify and fix imbalances. (attempt to anyway, I still have imbalances also.) Really contract your abs and glutes to keep the body straight so the imbalances don't get worse and never struggle, wait for the weaker side to catch up - which could be a long time; however long it took you to develop it anyway.

You could approach bent-over rows the same as well to help with your back and rear shoulder.

Sounds like a good cluster of exercises. There is a fair amount of technique to the press - consider reading starting strength by rippetoe. Take it slow with weight progressions .

@Bro Mo, thank you for elaborating! I will take it slowly and really focus on keeping everything in check!

@Norcoaster, I started StrongLifts 5x5 program which uses several simple barbell exercises to build strength, starting with light weights and adding to it slowly. He has a very detailed description for each exercise. It looks similar to Rippetoe's stuff. Really focused on technique.

Sounds good, I wish you luck with your program. Part of the satisfaction is learning the new lifts and building confidence with the movement, not just reaching the higher weights.

@Bro Mo, thank you for elaborating! I will take it slowly and really focus on keeping everything in check!

@Norcoaster, I started StrongLifts 5x5 program which uses several simple barbell exercises to build strength, starting with light weights and adding to it slowly. He has a very detailed description for each exercise. It looks similar to Rippetoe's stuff. Really focused on technique.
k

Until the imbalances are fixed I would use caution against going too heavy as @Bro Mo said. I'm sure you're aware of that. Could be a dangerous situation.

Hello,

@Michael D
Do you also have the problem for other presses like dips or push ups ? (on bodyweight)

I would go for high rep sets with light weights, but avoid failure. It will help you to build endurance and strength, with safety. Plus it will create muscular habit. Only after, start going heavier.

Kind regards,

Pet'

@Michael D This is a scenario I have never heard of. When you do one handed lifts is your left significantly weaker? Is you left side significantly less flexible?

Going close to fatigue sometimes one side goes up slightly slower than the other, but you describe it happening all the time.

Hello,

How about pull ups ?

Left side is somewhat weaker
In terms of strength only ? On flexibility ?

If you have access to some dumbells, maybe you can try to reinforce your weak arm with specific work ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

@pet' , in pull ups I noticed that sometimes, not all the time, right arm is working a bit more. It might not be visible to bystander, but I definitely feel some imbalance.

I will try and play around with dumbells, and also pay special attention to how much work each arm gets to do. I will report on the finding in a week or two!

Thank you all for excellent suggestions!

Hello,

@Michael D
Then if need specific work, here are some ideas:
=> for the push ups : find something to support one of your arm. and do the move.
=> for the pull ups : put a towel or something. and do the move

By varying the ROM of your weaker arm, you will progressively make it stronger.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Sounds to me like problem in the coordination. You are a beginner as I understand and thus it might simply be a lack of coordination, given that the problem occurs even with an empty bar.
Ideally train together with an experienced lifter than can correct you.
Second best option is to film yourself and check afterwards. You can also used the mirror a bit, but not all the time as you should develop the feeling for your position and not have to rely on your eyes.

Perhaps post your lifts here and get some feedback. Good luck!

If you're just starting out, this is normal.

As mentioned, start slow and relatively light. Focus on the "zip" on all reps - root the feet and flex the Holy Trinity (quads, glutes, abs).

Assistance moves that may help - Farmer/Waiter/Suitcase carries and bottoms up presses.

To your strength!

As promised, I am reporting on the progress made.

Balance issues are improving even though I've done very little in assistance exercises. It must have been the coordination issue, also the fact that I didn't know how to keep my whole body involved in the lifts. I guess it does make a difference whether you are benching for the 3rd or 30th time in your life :)

I still get my arms shaking a bit that contributes to imbalance on heavier weights, but I am guessing this is normal.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom