all posts post new thread

Barbell Balance in barbell exercises

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I would assess if you have a asymmetry in your mobility from one side to another then proceed accordingly with extra mobility work/other correctives (FMS screening) then build the strength to be more symmetrical.

Hello,

Good to hear !
I still get my arms shaking a bit that contributes to imbalance on heavier weights, but I am guessing this is normal.
Yes it is normal if this is above all a matter of coordination. At the beginning, try to focus on moderate weight to have a perfect coordination. Plus it will also build strength. Then, you may add weight with a far better safety.

Good job !

Good luck for you next sets !

Kind regards,

Pet'

As promised, I am reporting on the progress made.

Balance issues are improving even though I've done very little in assistance exercises. It must have been the coordination issue, also the fact that I didn't know how to keep my whole body involved in the lifts. I guess it does make a difference whether you are benching for the 3rd or 30th time in your life :)

I still get my arms shaking a bit that contributes to imbalance on heavier weights, but I am guessing this is normal.

I've been following stronglifts 5x5 for about 7 weeks having never used a barbell before but with some KB experience.

I would say that the weight starts light but gets heavier very quickly.

It is worth being very strict with yourself on form, if you are wobbling then stick with that weight for the next session. I've been training with my son and we've been strict on when to move up, better to stick for another session than progress and risk an injury.

The other thing that helps is 'getting tight' eg when pressing make sure your abs and glutes are tense, crush the bar etc.

Finally Mehdi's website is great and really focuses on technique but in my opinion it is well worth getting the starting strength book and Pavel's PTTP as well, there are lots of underneath the hood anatomy bits in there and pieces on using whole body tension.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom