all posts post new thread

Barbell Balancing the Daily Dose Deadlift plan with other strength training

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Yemout

Level 1 Valued Member
I'm in the test week of the 5TRM back squat programme, and intending to start the Daily Dose Deadlift plan next week. I'm wondering how best to balance the rest of my training with the programme. At the moment I'm lifting 3 days a week – squats every session (as per the 5TRM programme) followed by some variation of press (overhead / bench), a big pull (deadlift / power clean / farmers carry) and a selection of other movements – TGUs, swings, pull-ups, dips and box jumps. Most days I'll do between 4 and 5 movement variations. Any advice on how to balance the squatting and deadlifting so I don't burn out my back and legs? I'm planning to deadlift mon-fri, and add pressing / squatting / pull ups etc. on mon/wed/fri. Any pointers or experiences would be much appreciated.

I suggest you read the original article to get the author's take on why he created this program. Although it may not answer your questions directly, it should give you some direction in which to head as you plan for yourself.

-S-

I suggest you read the original article to get the author's take on why he created this program. Although it may not answer your questions directly, it should give you some direction in which to head as you plan for yourself.

-S-
Thanks Steve. I've read the article a couple of times and while I think I understand the sentiment, I'm curious to hear experiences from people who have tried combining DDD with other training schedules for different skills. I suppose there will be an element of trial and error, as always when programming for myself...

Thanks Steve. I've read the article a couple of times and while I think I understand the sentiment, I'm curious to hear experiences from people who have tried combining DDD with other training schedules for different skills. I suppose there will be an element of trial and error, as always when programming for myself...
It sounds like you might simply want a powerlifting program - the DDD keeps your deadlift going while you're doing lots of kettlebell snatches, e.g., but if traditional DL training isn't contraindicated, then I don't know that the DDD is the best choice.

Is there a particular goal you're trying to achieve?

-S-

It sounds like you might simply want a powerlifting program - the DDD keeps your deadlift going while you're doing lots of kettlebell snatches, e.g., but if traditional DL training isn't contraindicated, then I don't know that the DDD is the best choice.

Is there a particular goal you're trying to achieve?

-S-
This is a critical question. There are probably a host of programs out there better suited to your goals.

However no one can effectively advise without know your goals.

@Steve Freides and @Starlord Thanks both for taking the time to reply, much appreciated.

My goal is to hit a 2x bodyweight deadlift this year (currently at around 1.75x). I've never prioritised deadlift because I always found the fatigue outweighed the benefit, but the result is that my deadlift has stagnated. I train BJJ 2-3 times a week, I have a young son who I run around after, and I do a bit of open water swimming, so the appeal of the DDD was that it would leave me fresh for all of that other stuff, while offsetting my sedentary day job. But the more I look into Easy Strength the more I feel that it might be more suitable for what I'm after.

@Steve Freides and @Starlord Thanks both for taking the time to reply, much appreciated.

My goal is to hit a 2x bodyweight deadlift this year (currently at around 1.75x). I've never prioritised deadlift because I always found the fatigue outweighed the benefit, but the result is that my deadlift has stagnated. I train BJJ 2-3 times a week, I have a young son who I run around after, and I do a bit of open water swimming, so the appeal of the DDD was that it would leave me fresh for all of that other stuff, while offsetting my sedentary day job. But the more I look into Easy Strength the more I feel that it might be more suitable for what I'm after.
DDD may be ideal then. It is made for those balancing different training sessions during the week and potentially on the same day.

Definitely a good way of adding strength training into the mix while having a low additional stress.

An addition I would recommend is some sets of hanging knee raises post deadlifts. I am a big fan of additional ab work as well as tractioning the lower back. Hence my recommendation.

Just make sure you are eating to fuel your sessions and to supply the body with adaptations that you want that session to elicit.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom