all posts post new thread

Nutrition Ballpark Calorie Reduction Method

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Neuro-Bob

Level 10 Valued Member
Despite the word “ballpark” being in the title, sadly this is not about hot dogs, nachos, or beer hats.

I read somewhere last year about an easy way to ballpark calorie intake (as opposed to strictly tracking ad nauseum). It popped into my head again recently as we as a people naturally look to eat less in Jan after a month+ of feasting. It’s for regular folks, not bodybuilders that need a specific aesthetic.

Learn the average calorie amount you eat at each meal and snack. Add/remove snacks or meals as necessary to achieve the target.

Armed with data, the question of “cutting/bulking by X calories per day” is easily ballparked by adding/removing a snack or a meal for an extended period. This also prevents the need to rework one’s normal menu/ingredients to meet the new calorie target.

Bulking? Add a triple-decker PBJ sandwich to whatever you’re currently doing.

Cutting? Just skip lunch for several weeks.

It’s not quite intermittent fasting, because it’s not a time restricted feeding window. But it is the concept of skipping meals. It’s still adjusting calorie intake one meal at a time. It just doesn’t matter which one or when, as long as the ballpark figure is your target.

For Example:

the general recommendation for losing 1/2 to 1lb per week is to cut 500 calories each day.

I know from my experience through the years that my habitual eating tends towards ~800 calorie breakfast, ~500 calorie lunch, ~150 calorie snack, and ~800 calorie dinner. I like big breakfasts and dinners, and survive with smaller lunches.

so using the ballpark method, to lose 1/2 to 1lb per week I would just skip lunch every day. It’s going to be close enough to the 500 calorie recommendation for the regular joe.

It’s nothing new and not rocket science. But maybe it’s helpful to someone out there.

I'm a big fan of this approach. If you're regular in your eating habits, trying to make changes across the board is really tough but making 'adjustments' like this is much more manageable.

I've had good results from switching between either PB and banana on toast for breakfast or oatmeal/porridge depending on whether I'm weighing in a little heavy or a little light.

so using the ballpark method, to lose 1/2 to 1lb per week I would just skip lunch every day. It’s going to be close enough to the 500 calorie recommendation for the regular joe.

It’s nothing new and not rocket science. But maybe it’s helpful to someone out there.
This is great coaching. People want solutions that actually feel achievable and this is way more effective over the long haul than "eat this, don't eat that." THAT doesn't work for more than maybe a month. Great post, thank you.

Really, you've cracked the code.
There's so much more to it, though.....so it goes.

So yeah, if I may over complicate things and elaborate...?

Eat about right. If you've over eaten, then under eat for a bit until about right. If you've under eaten, over eat for a bit until about right.

In 100% agreement.....when's the book out??

That's just crazy enough to work...
If you can eat sweets like I can eat sweets, it's a big difference in calories ... I can still really pack away the goodies: cakes, cookies, ice cream - yum!

One story: when I was in my early 30's, we lived near the top (North end) of Manhattan, across the street from Inwood Hill Park, a pleasant place to run, and I was a runner. I used to run about 10 km every morning, 6 days a week. And I would eat an entire cake - Entenmann's, comes in a box in the grocery store - every night for dessert. No cutting a piece of the cake - it was take the box, and a fork. I just looked one of them up - it's about 2,000 calories for a cake.

Those were the days:

-S-

If you can eat sweets like I can eat sweets, it's a big difference in calories ... I can still really pack away the goodies: cakes, cookies, ice cream - yum!

One story: when I was in my early 30's, we lived near the top (North end) of Manhattan, across the street from Inwood Hill Park, a pleasant place to run, and I was a runner. I used to run about 10 km every morning, 6 days a week. And I would eat an entire cake - Entenmann's, comes in a box in the grocery store - every night for dessert. No cutting a piece of the cake - it was take the box, and a fork. I just looked one of them up - it's about 2,000 calories for a cake.

Those were the days:

-S-

Steve, you went deep for that one. And overkill is underrated.

And I would eat an entire cake - Entenmann's
What is it about Entenmann’s that is so good! I could eat an entire cheese danish cake no problem....
tall can of chilled Asahi Super Dry carefully poured into an iced beer
This reminds me of Okinawa. Sadly no beer Stein I’ve owned is exactly the same size/shape as seemed standard there. Thanks for nothing, IKEA!

What is it about Entenmann’s that is so good! I could eat an entire cheese danish cake no problem....

This reminds me of Okinawa. Sadly no beer Stein I’ve owned is exactly the same size/shape as seemed standard there. Thanks for nothing, IKEA!
Bob, I'm guessing a significant bit of science goes into creating those cakes.

It's always more effective, when your question is "what" and "why" rather than "how". When you properly work the first two, the third comes much easier. So it applies to mostly everything...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom