all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Ban the Bench/Curl!

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
there's a bodybuilding gym that went to once. I was setting up to deadlift and was told by the owner "no you have to do it in the rack! so if you drop it it won't roll away." I proceeded to blink several time in general confusion but hey his gym his rules.

We have similar rule at the gym I visit but it usually gets ignored in the evening when all the bros lift. But the 2 racks are the only places with a proper weightlifting platform. The rest of the floor space is simple plywood with a rubber mat. So if you deadlift anywhere else you damage the floor and the gym has to replace the damaged parts every 2-3 months. They have tried more plywood, thicker rubber and even sheet metal on the most commonly used spots. But eventually the weights will dig a small crater and the floor needs to be replaced. They would need to change the layout of the rest of the gym to make enough space for 1 or 2 extra platforms. But the gym owner reasons that it will be cheaper to just replace the plywood floor.

Personally I rather like the bench press and also quite often train the military press, finding the two lifts complement one another rather well. This, admittedly, is a legacy of training under both Wendler 5/3/1 and the Greyskull Linear Progression for several years.

As for bicep curls I find that pullups (weighted and unweighted) are the far superior exercise for the arms and several other muscle groups to boot. That being said, I also see their utility under certain circumstances (i.e. injury recovery).

[QUOTE="Kaisersemmel, post: 234052, member: 11160"So if you deadlift anywhere else you damage the floor and the gym has to replace the damaged parts every 2-3 months. They have tried more plywood, thicker rubber and even sheet metal on the most commonly used spots. But eventually the weights will dig a small crater and the floor needs to be replaced.[/QUOTE]

Really? I've deadlifted for a long time on 1/2" mats for a long time with no holes made in the mats or the tile floor underneath them, and many dropped deadlifts. And a number of commercial gyms, e.g., LA Fitness, will let you deadlift on whatever flooring they have, which seems to be thick rubber in the few I've been in.

-S-

there's a bodybuilding gym that went to once. I was setting up to deadlift and was told by the owner "no you have to do it in the rack! so if you drop it it won't roll away." I proceeded to blink several time in general confusion but hey his gym his rules.
Was the gym on a slant? Side note to self: new personal goal - deadlift a weight that is too heavy to roll...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom