Bar Dips vs. Ring Dips

John Crotty

Still New to StrongFirst Forum
Certified Instructor
Hello Everyone,
I am debating buying rings for my pull-up bar or a dip station. I'd rather get the rings, but I would like to know if there is a major difference between the two modalities for doing dips. Am I splitting hairs?

Thank you,
John Crotty

Last edited:

Marc

Quadruple-Digit Post Count
Ring dips are lot harder. You should not attempt them if you don't have a solid tecnique and rep count on bar dips.
With that being said, rind dips are awsome and (assuming you got your tecnique down) more shoulder and elbow friendly.

q.Hung

More than 500 posts
You need more stabilisation for ring dips- which means more tension. With the same bodyweight, the ring dips is like the bottom up press and normal dips is like normal press :D That could be a good thing. Plus, it is shoulder and elbow friendly. That could also be a good thing :D

Dave s

Second Post
You will likely find the rings more challenging initially. Once youve sorted out the top position dips will fall into place. You can also use rings for countless other exercises that standard dip bars cant be used for.

Steve Freides

Forum Administrator
Senior Certified Instructor
New York Barbells has a nice dip attachment for a power rack - I have it and it's been good, been using it since last Fall.

-S-

Top Bottom