all posts post new thread

Barbell Bar Speed article

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

BJJ Shawn

Level 6 Valued Member
I just came across this and it looks pretty interesting. I’m not sure what they used to measure bar speed, but as part of the study they used bar speed to find out what your 1RM was for THAT day and based the training off that number.

Bottom line, is that they found doing the concentric part of a bench press as fast as possible improved strength gains by 2x over focusing on TUT and slowing the reps down.

This is good to see.

My weightlifting coach, Alfonso Duran, taught me this 25 years ago after asking him about Poliquin's tempo training.

He had me stand on a scale and watch the dial while moving the weight "at tempo" vs. moving it explosively.

The first, the dial remained constant - my weight + dumbell.

The second, the dial jumped all the way to the left and back.

Not "proven," to "2x the gains," but the point was to prove increased force production/output with a "fast as possible" concentric movement.

And we all know that F = M*a or F = m*A, but NOT F = m*a.

Thanks for posting.

I just came across this and it looks pretty interesting. I’m not sure what they used to measure bar speed, but as part of the study they used bar speed to find out what your 1RM was for THAT day and based the training off that number.

Bottom line, is that they found doing the concentric part of a bench press as fast as possible improved strength gains by 2x over focusing on TUT and slowing the reps down.

Dr. Greg Nuckol's Speed Training

Nuckol's provide some good information in his article.

You want to push/pull a weight as hard and as fast as you can; regarless of the load is light or heavy.

"The Intent" To Move Heavy Load Quickly

With a heavy load, it isn't going to move quickly. However, what matter is "The Intent" to be explosive with it. Doing so, innervates Fast Twitch Muscle Fiber. Source: McBride, J. M., T. McBride, A. Davie, and R. U. Newton. The effect of heavy- vs. light-load jump squats on the development of strength, power, and speed. The Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research: 16(1): 75-82. 2002.

Dr Fred Hatfield's CAT

Hatfield Compensatory Acceleration Training came out in 1982. As per Hatfield, Compensatory Acceleration is defined as pushing/pulling a weight as hard and fast as you can throughout the entire range of the movement.

Dr. Craig Maker's goes into his in...

Compensatory Acceleration Training: Speed Up Your Strength Gains

"If we take the simple equation of force = mass x acceleration, the more we accelerate, then the more force we can put into a movement. Thus, we need to move light weight quickly in order to equal the force we put into moving heavy weight."

"...You should be applying maximum force through the entire range of motion; maximum force."

The Issue With Moving Light Loads Quickly

In a movement the requries that you hold to the bar at the end of the movement with a light load, as in a Bench Press, the bar decelerates as you near the lockout end of the range of the movement.

"Research has shown as much as 75% of a movement can be devoted to slowing the bar down." (Flannagan, 2001). Elliot et al. (1989) revealed that during 1-RM bench presses, the bar decelerates for the final 24 % of the range of motion. At 81% of 1-RM, the bar deceleration occurs during the final 52% of the range of motion. The accompanying deceleration phases result in significantly decreased motor unit recruitment, velocity of movement, power production and compromises the effectiveness of the exercise." (Berry et. al., 2001)
Source: Plyometric Bench Press Training For More Strength and Power, Plyometric bench training for 1rm increases

Resolving The Issus

Two method will ensure Speed and Power are maintained throughout the entire range of a movement, like a Bench Press, Squat, etc.

1) In Bench Press the bar must go airbore with a Bench Press Throw. This can be safely accomplished in a Smith Machine.

A Squats with a light load become a Jump Squat.

2) Accommodation Resistance. Attaching Band and/or Chain to a bar allows you to continue to accelerate throughout a greater range of the movement.

Velocity Based Training

Dr Daniel Baker is one of he leader in this area.

Essentially Velosity Based Training is Power Training.

As per Baker

For a strength exercise to develop power, use 50-70% 1RM for explosive power, perhaps with bands and chains added, or keep these exercises solely for strength development with appropriately heavier resistances.

Use jump squats, bench press throws, and similar exercises to train power with resistances 50% 1RM of the strength exercise.

Eccentric Bar Speed For Strength

Lowering the bar faster, rather than slowly, has a similar effect to moving the bar quickly in a Concentric Contraction...

Ask The Muscle Prof: 'How Should I Use Eccentric Training For Growth?'

1) Research shows that faster speed eccentric contractions result in a release of more growth factors, more satellite cells, and greater protein synthesis than slow speed eccentric contractions.

2) ...Short eccentric phase of a lift, like 1-3 seconds maximum.

For Maximum Strength

Conclusions

Studies comparing the effects of slow and fast eccentric-only training show that faster (i.e. heavier) eccentric-only training leads to greater gains than slower (i.e. lighter) eccentric-only training.

Chances are, this is because lowering a weight slowly requires you to use lighter loads, while lowering a weight faster allows you to use much heavier loads. And heavier loads will always make you stronger, probably because they involve greater mechanical loading. Whether the strength gains are mediated solely by greater gains in muscle size, or by other (peripheral and central) changes as well, is less clear.

Higher movement speed increases tension on the muscle and tendon.

Moving a heavy load slowly but with intent to move quickly is also important but does not develop power as much as having actual fast movement speed.

The biggest issue I had with this is the "slow" group intentionally went slower than they needed to. If they had used a load heavy enough that their movement speed was a reaction to the load and not a tempo, they likely would have had comparable gains, maybe better.

Take-away, don't intentionally slow your cadence - movement speed should be a function of loading, not pre defined tempo.

Conclusions

Studies comparing the effects of slow and fast eccentric-only training show that faster (i.e. heavier) eccentric-only training leads to greater gains than slower (i.e. lighter) eccentric-only training.

I always suspected it was the effect of rapidly decelerating at the bottom. Just as a rapid concentric increases tension at the start of the acceleration, a rapid eccentric will increase it at the end. Speculation anyway.

The biggest issue I had with this is the "slow" group intentionally went slower than they needed to. If they had used a load heavy enough that their movement speed was a reaction to the load and not a tempo, they likely would have had comparable gains, maybe better.

Take-away, don't intentionally slow your cadence - movement speed should be a function of loading, not pre defined tempo.

I think that was the main point of this study, as they both used loads based on a percentage of the day's 1rm so the load was equal. If a program calls for 80% of 3 x 3, they both performed the same amount, but some people I have seen (including Pavel in PTTP) recommend 3 sec concentric and 3 sec eccentric to add TUT. If the load is equal, performing the movement faster had a strength gain advantage vs moving it slower, but if you used a heavier load would you have been able to perform the same number of sets/reps? Would it matter if you did?

The idea of moving slow in PTTP is to teach the lifter to maintain maximum tension during movement. I believe that it also helps in finding the correct bar path and body position during the move. After you hone the technique you can increase speed, but be wary that you can keep the technique.

I haven't seen a bar speed study that I've liked.

I will just point out that there's a big difference lifting weights slow because it's heavy compared to lifting more slowly for tempo reasons.

Effort and intent are the key things.

some people I have seen recommend 3 sec concentric and 3 sec eccentric to add TUT.
Time Under Tension

This is more effective for Hypertrophy Training than Speed, Power or Maximum Strength Training.

The longer the contraction of muscles are maintained during a movement, the greater the restriction of Venous Blood Flow back to the heart. Blood is trapped in the muscle producing "The Pump" and "The Burn".

The Burn occurs due to the build up of Lactate, not Lactatic Acid. There's a difference.

Lactate produces a downstream effect that increase an anabolic effect; Growth Hormone.

Occlusion Training

That is the underlying mechanism behind Occlusion Training. Occlusion Training ensure there is constant Time Under Tension.

If the load is equal, performing the movement faster had a strength gain advantage vs moving it slower,

The Size Principle

The Muscle Firing Sequence in a movement is: Slow Twitch Type I > Fast Twitch Type IIa > "Super Fast" Type IIb/x.

Slow Movements

Slow Movements with light loads promoted more innervation and development of the Slow Twitch Type I Muscle Fiber.

Slow Twitch Muscle Fiber don't contribute much for increasing Speed, Power, or Maximum Strength.

Slow Twitch Muscle Fiber are limited in their contribution to Hypertrophy.

Fast Movements

The Muscle Firing Sequence does not change with Explosive Movements. It is still the same, Slow Twitch Type I > Fast Twitch Type IIa > "Super Fast" Type IIb/x.

However, Exposive Movement engage the Fast Twich Muscle Fiber faster; developing greater Speed, Power and Maxium Strength.

Concentric Contraction

That means a Concentric Contraction that is pushed/pulled as hard and fast as possible, innervates and develop Fast Twitch Muscle Fiber to a greater degree than a Slower Movcement.

Maxium Strength Development

Maxium Strength is developed with a load of 85% plus of 1 Repetition Max.

Loads in that 1 Repetition Max Percentage are going to produce Slower Movement Velocities.

Eccentric Strength Development

As noted in the previous post, greater Strength as well as Hypertrophy is elicted with a Heavier Eccentric Load and Faster Eccentric Speed; around 2 - 3 seconds in lowering the weight.

In a Fast Concentric Contraction, the harder and faster you push the weight, the more the force (bar weight increases).

In a Faster Eccentric it allow you to use a Heavier Load; around 20% and maybe up to 30% greater than you Max Concentric Movement.

Thus, if if someones Max Concentric Bench Press is 300 lbs for 1 RM, a Max Eccentric would be around 360 lb or greater.

Force = Mass X Acceleration

As someone once said, "Jumping out of a 5 story building won't kill you. It is the sudden stop you need to worry about."

The Force in a Eccentric is increased when the bar is allowed to accelerate.

Dr. Tom McLaughlin's Reserch

McLaughlin (PhD in Bio-Mechanics, former Powerlifter) determined that Powerlifters who allowed the bar to drop to quickly in a Bench Press, increased the Bar weight 147%.

That meant that the Reversal Force needed to drive the bar off the chest was the eqivalent of 447 lbs.

When lifters lowered the bar more slowly, the bar weight only increased to 112%.

That meant that the Reversal Force needed to drive the bar off the chest was 336 lbs.

Side Note

In performing a Heavy Bench Press or Squat that means a lifter needs to ride the brakes in lower the bar.

However, once the bar is approximately 2 - 3 inches off the chest or from parallel in a Squat, the Eccentric Bar Speed is allowed to increase.

This ensure the Stretch Reflex is elicited; more weight is lifted.

The Beneift of Fast Eccentric With Light to Medium Load

This develop the Stretch Reflex as well as Speed and Power.

Speed is developed in Traditional Exercise with Loads of 10 - 40%, with around 30% being the optimal Load.

Power is developed in Traditional Exercise with Loads of 48 - 62%.
if you used a heavier load would you have been able to perform the same number of sets/reps? Would it matter if you did?
Unsure of What You Are Asking

The key to ensuring Speed or Power is in how fast the bar moves.

The Speed and Power Guideline Percentages provide you the range you need to be in.

In training Power, the upper limits of the Power Percentages have a more direct effect on the development of Maxium Strength.

Power Training Percentage Recommendation

Training Speed or Power Percentages develop Speed and/or Power in that one specific area.

To ensure that Speed and/or Power is developed in the Full Spectrum of the Movement, progressively increaseing the Load of a Movement ensure that Speed and/or Power of each Set is key.

Bar Speed and/Power

The focus of the development of Speed and/or Power develoment is on Bar Speed.

Many individuals are consumed with using the Load that are too Heavy.

When that occurs, these individual are moving the bar too slow to elicit/develop Speed or Power.

They have turned a Speed or Power Movement into a Maxium Strength Movement.

Last edited:
Effort and intent are the key things.
I believe this contrasts with q&d power goals. The effort there is not the proper barometer . It's the output that is measured for power.

Maybe for strength it's different.

After a certain threshold level of challenge was met for me, I never felt that speed of the reps was a deterrent or a boost in my GtG protocol. Push press, quick reps, strict press, slow reps; the press just kept getting stronger.

The overall volume had a huge effect on my progress though.

I believe this contrasts with q&d power goals. The effort there is not the proper barometer . It's the output that is measured for power.

Maybe for strength it's different.

After a certain threshold level of challenge was met for me, I never felt that speed of the reps was a deterrent or a boost in my GtG protocol. Push press, quick reps, strict press, slow reps; the press just kept getting stronger.

The overall volume had a huge effect on my progress though.

It's been a while since I read the book. I won't comment on it.

In my book, effort and intent should correlate with power. Of course, fatigue plays into it.

For strength and power, a trainee should use maximal effort on all lifts. Bar speed can guide set/session length for both, but more so for power.

Of course, there are many ways to go about it, and we can only debate on the importance of variables.

You guys no much more than me in all aspects of strength, so I have no problem defaulting to your experience. What really made excited me was this part, because I never even thought of this as a possibility (not that I have the equipment to measure this anyway, but still it is intriguing):

The way they made their weight selections for each day was *very* interesting. Prior research had found that average concentric bar velocity (how fast you can push the bar up) correlated very strongly with given 1rm percentages for bench press.

An average maximum bar speed of 0.79m/sec means you’re lifting about 60% of your 1rm, 0.70 m/sec is about 65%, 0.62m/sec is about 70%, 0.55m/sec is about 75%, and 0.47m/sec is about 80%.

Average concentric velocity (m/sec)Percentage of 1rm

I never even thought about the fact that your daily 1rm could change so frequently, but then you add on that really you could program your work to that days 1rm using bar speed is amazing to me. Will j ever use it? Doubtful. Is it cool? Yes.

hat really made excited me was this part, because I never even thought of this as a possibility (not that I have the equipment to measure this

dSpeed and Power Training Percentages

For those who don't have the equipment, the Speed and Power Training Percentage line up well.

Speed Training

10-40% of 1 Repetition Max, with around 30% being the sweet spot.

Power Factor Training Device

About 10 years ago, I puchased the Power Factor Training Device for just around $100.

It was a device with a wire that attaches to the Barbell. It measure Watts.

The Power Factor equated to a bathroom scale it provide a fairly close measurement of Power Output.

It measured Power Output for 1 Repetition. Then needed to be reset for measuring another Repetition.

In measuring my Power Output in Jump Squat for Speed Training, my optimal Training Percentage was 27% of my 1 Repetition Max.

Thus, the feedback it provided indicated that the optimal Speed Training recommended was close to the 30% Sweet Spot. There was probably a plus or minus factor with the reading the Power Factor provided; like a bathroom scale.

Power Training

48 to 62% of 1 Repetition Max.

This is a good Guideline for Power Training that I have used that produced my Personal Best Powerlifting Meet Squat, Bench Press and Deadlift.

Thus, both the Speed and Power Training Percentages provide are effective, if you don't have the equiment to measure it.

Practical Experience

In working with the Speed and Power Training Percentages over time, you learn to feel and see it.

While it doesn't provide the accuracy of equipment that measure it, it ensures that you are in The Zone.

Car Example

Let's use the example of learning to stop your car when a light turns red that you are coming upon.

Through Practical Experience you learn how much pressure to apply to the brakes based on how far you are from the red light.

You don't use any equipment for the feedback on it.

To some degree, in a Speed or Power Training Program, you eventually learn, as well.

However, a device that provides you with Watts would allow you learn faster; associate the number with the feel of what Speed and/or Power is and in working with other to be able to see it, as well.

The Westside Speed (really Power) Training Method

The Power Training Percentage is the Method and Protocol for the Westside Speed (Power) Training Method.

No equipment is used to measure Watts.

PUSH To Measure Power

Brett Jones, Craig Maker and Fabio Zonin use PUSH to measure Power.

This appear to be a very cool device but more than, at this point, I want to spend.

Brett may want to chime in here with more information on PUSH.

I never even thought about the fact that your daily 1rm could change so frequently

Bulgarian and Russian Training Percentages

Your 1 Repetition Max, as you read, can vary from one training session to the next.

With that in mind, let look to methods that are used.

1) Russian Training Percentage

The Russians base their Training Percentage off their 1 Repetition Contest Max.

That means a lot of their training revolve around training in the 80% plus of 1 Repetion Max Zone.

2) Bulgarian Training Percentages

The Bulgarian Training Percentage are based on their Gym Training Max for that session. I am not sure how they come to determine that.

However, this method is much more accurate; since your strength varies from one training session to the next.

The Bulgarians then use Training Percentages for that Training Session that are in the 90% of 1 RM; this essentially equates to the Russian Training Percentage of around 80% of 1 RM Competition Max.

With that in mind, let's look at

Autoregulate Training

This simply means if things are hard one day, you back off.

If the Bar Speed isn't moving as fast as it should, decrease the load to the Bar Speed that does feel right.

If things feel easy, increase the weight for that particular day.

Power Measurement Devices

1) These device are very cool and provide you with great immediate feedback.

These devices provide immediate feedback so that you are able to learn the feel of it and to see it when others are in The Zone.

2) If you don't have one, over time, Practical Exerience in the feel and being able to see it with other works.

Practical Exerience (via Autoregulating) with Olympic Lifter, The Westside Powerlifters, etc. has been used for decades because it work.

Filming Your Movement

If you have someone who can film your movement, this provide some good feedback on the Speed and Power of the Movement.

It allows you to match up how fast you are moving the weight, linking it to the feel of it.

you could program your work to that days 1rm using bar speed is amazing to me. Will j ever use it? Doubtful. Is it cool? Yes.

When I started using Cluster Sets I had to decide how to determine the rep count per repeat, which is supposed to be a % of 1rm. I couldn't think of a non-fussy way to determine this, settled on executing concentric (and eccentric) as fast as possible and stopping on the first rep that the speed slows. This winds up being about 1/2 to 2/3 of my 1rep max depending on the exercise. I reset this every time I train Clusters.

I use the PUSH system to measure bar speed.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom