all posts post new thread

Barbell Barbell back Squat Form

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

josh appleberg

Level 2 Valued Member
Would like to hear any bodies feedback on my squat form, it feel like My knees are going over my feet way too much however my bar path is solid? Any help would be appreciated. I couldn’t upload a video unfortunately

Attachments

• 6EC224A3-6E7E-4FF7-86A9-125C09A2FB0A.png
    6EC224A3-6E7E-4FF7-86A9-125C09A2FB0A.png
    700.8 KB · Views: 33
@josh appleberg, one cannot currently upload a video to our forum. The recommended procedure is to upload your video to a public place, make sure you've set it so other can view it, and then post a link to it here.

Your squat isn't to parallel, and your knees are pretty far forward, I agree. We can say that your bar location looks good relatively to your feet, but the path is another thing - we'd have to see the bar in motion to comment on that.

Welcome to the StrongFirst forum.

-S-

@josh appleberg, one cannot currently upload a video to our forum. The recommended procedure is to upload your video to a public place, make sure you've set it so other can view it, and then post a link to it here.

Your squat isn't to parallel, and your knees are pretty far forward, I agree. We can say that your bar location looks good relatively to your feet, but the path is another thing - we'd have to see the bar in motion to comment on that.

Welcome to the StrongFirst forum.

-S-

-S-

there’s a video Just copy and paste the link

You're trying to stay too upright. At lockout, the bar bar is over your heels. As you descend with this excessively upright posture the necessary forward movement of the bar MUST come from your knees/hips. The whole system ends up on your toes.

"Break" at the knees and hip simultaneously. Lean forward a bit more and reach back with your hips. Initially you'll need to think "butt back".

Turn your toes out a hair and shove your knees out. This will create the space you need to hit depth. These are about 2-3 inches high.

Good work. Keep it up.

My knees are going over my feet way too much

That's not something you need to worry about. As long as you can hit depth (see @Bill Been's advice above), keep your feet flat on the ground, keep the barbell over your centre of balance and maintain a neutral spine then that's a good squat. There was a study by the NSCA in 2003 that looked into knee positions in a squat which you may (or may not) find interesting: https://journals.lww.com/nsca-jscr/..._Knee_Position_on_Hip_and_Knee_Torques.1.aspx
Effect of Knee Position on Hip and Knee Torques During the... : The Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom