all posts post new thread

Barbell Barbell Bolt Missing (and general barbell maintenance)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

kodo kb

Level 6 Valued Member
Hi all,

Getting back into barbell training and I realized one of the bolts that go on the end of the sleeve is missing, allowing the sleeve/collar to completely slide off.

Guessing I just need another one. Would a matching one at my local hardware store work, or do I need to special order it?

Also, anyone have basic barbell maintenance tips?

I'd try the hardware store, and/or the manufacturer of your bar. Most of my bars need to have the tightened pretty often, but they come in more than one size.

-S-

Last time I had one missing I found it in the corner where I put one end of the bar while doing Russian twists with it. If you can't find it, unscrew the bolt from other side of the bar and take it to a good hardware store and get a duplicate. Sometimes a bar can use a little grease on the bearings, but the motion isn't hard on grease and it lasts a long time.

Remove the bolt from the other end of the barbell. Go to hardware stores or industrial supply stores, find a match for thread type, pitch, and diameter. Just put the threads together to check that they perfectly match. If you can only find a bolt that is too long you can always cut or grind it down. When you reinstall the proper bolt put some thread locking compound on the threads. Blue Loctite is the best option. Do not use Red Loctite it requires heat to get it apart after setting.

While you have the collars off clean and regrease the bearings. I have an expensive Elieko bar I have had for over 15 years that is as good as new with some respect, care and easy maintenance.

Hey Kodo kb, if you've got an extra $20, look online, they have some top notch collars with levers and stuff that lock up really well.

Hi all,

Getting back into barbell training and I realized one of the bolts that go on the end of the sleeve is missing, allowing the sleeve/collar to completely slide off.

Guessing I just need another one. Would a matching one at my local hardware store work, or do I need to special order it?

Barbell Bolt

It unlikely that you will find a barbell bolt at any local hardware store. Nor will you be able to purchase one from any barbell company. That because it's not a item that in demand.

Those type of bars are termed "Disposable". They are inexpensive to the point that replacing it is usually cheaper than "fixing it".

You may be able to locate another bolt but it going to take some work and time on your part.

Another solution is to purchase a new bar. That leaves you with two options:

1) Purchase a similar inexpensive bar, like you have.

The downside is that that bar (as will all inexpensive bars) will eventually have the same issue with the bolt coming lose and constantly needing to be tightened. As you may have determined, they need a special oversized Allen Key to keep tightening them.

2) Purchase a good quality bar.

You wont have any bolt issue with a good quality bar. The virtually last forever.

Kenny Croxdale

The downside is that that bar (as will all inexpensive bars) will eventually have the same issue with the bolt coming lose and constantly needing to be tightened. As you may have determined, they need a special oversized Allen Key to keep tightening them.

Constantly retightening those bolts is extremely annoying. I had a bar like this once that I got to use with a group of students at the school where I teach. Not only did the bolts constantly come loose, but the surface of the sleeves actually became dented from the edges of the hole in the plates and eventually the metal cracked completely. @Geoff Chafe's suggestion of loctite might help the bolt loosening problem, but I still think it's worth it to invest in a decent bar.

My own bar has been going strong since 1985, and it's a relatively modest bushing bar, not a high end weightlifting bearing bar like Geoff's Eleiko. But it's lasted me for over 30 years where the sporting goods store bar with the bolted on sleeves didn't make it six months.

@kennycro@@aol.com Yes, a high quality bar will have the collar held in place with a snap ring, not a bolt. Just because you have a low end bar I do not see that as a reason not to maintain it. I have a $100 made in China bar and a $1500 Eleiko Weightlifting Bar. I treat both the same. Except I do not use my good bar out of the rack as it wears down the knurling, but I use it for almost everything else. For the weights we average people use the bar quality has little impact on training.

Finding a bolt is a much cheaper and sensible option than buying a new bar. If you are worried about the bolt coming out again use Red Loctite, or Black if you never want it to come loose again.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom