all posts post new thread

Barbell Barbell circuits

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

movestrength

Level 4 Valued Member
I am looking for barbell circuits that can be done for both performance and strength as a pre-workout. So far, I have found a few workouts.

Bear Complex
5 rounds for load
1 Power clean
1 Front squat
1 Push press
1 Back squat
1 Push press

DT
70kg Deadlift, 12 reps
70kg Hang power clean, 9 reps
70kg Push Jerk, 6 reps

Does anyone have any other barbell circuits that they like to do as a pre-workout?

I have a series of drills to prep for both snatch and clean & jerk training sessions, but most of those are specific to the movements and positions of Oly lifting. Happy to share them here if anyone's interested.

Complexes are great. I've brought it up more than once here but the Javorek complex one is a go-to for a lot of S&C coaches as a great one-stop shop for getting a lot done in a short time. It's meant to be done with heavy weights (50% C&J 1RM, as a guideline) so it's definitely a workout as opposed to a pre-workout. You could do it with an unloaded bar and really focus on form and rhythm as a way to get everything moving.

I'm also a fan of the super basic: clean/power clean + front squat + jerk/power jerk. It's a clean & jerk with a squat sandwiched in the middle. As complexes go it's about as simple as they come but it can be done light, medium or heavy in any rep range you like. It also works a single or double kettlebells. You could even do it with a sandbag if you wanted to.

For entertainment value, there's also this complex for 'Olympic lifting and Crossfit'. I don't know what the heck this boy's doing but those are like no power snatches or power cleans I've ever seen (unless you count these, from Lolo Jones)! Looks like he's about ready to puke after one circuit too.

Okay, I'm done throwing shade. Somewhere out there a teenage girl is warming up with my 1RM; I've got some catching-up to do.

I am looking for barbell circuits that can be done for both performance and strength as a pre-workout. So far, I have found a few workouts.

Bear Complex
5 rounds for load
1 Power clean
1 Front squat
1 Push press
1 Back squat
1 Push press

DT
70kg Deadlift, 12 reps
70kg Hang power clean, 9 reps
70kg Push Jerk, 6 reps

Circuit Training

Complexes like this fall more into the category of Circuit Training.

Circuit Training is Metabolic Training. It is effective for...

1) Increasing you metabolism long after your workout is over.

That increase in your metabolism has to do with EPOC, Excess Post Oxygen Consumption.

It amounts to over charging your "Metabolic Credit Card". Since you cannot immediately pay it off, your body (like a Credit Card company) allow you to pay it off over time, with interest; meaning you burn more calories/body fat for hour after your workout.

2) It is an effective conditioning method, GPP (General Physical Preparedness ) Training Method.

3) It can be employed as a means of warming up; as long it isn't so taxing that it kills your strength training session.

However, it is...

Ineffective for Strength and Power Training

1) Maximum Strength is developed with load of 85% of 1RM, Repetition Max.

2) Power is developed with load of...

a) 48 - 62% of 1 RM, Repetition Max with Traditional Strength Exercises; Squat, Presses, Deadlifts, etc

b) 70 - 80% of 1 RM, Repetition Max with Olympic Movements: Power Cleans, High Pulls, Power Snatches, etc. Kettlebell Swings also fall into this category.

Fast Twitch Muscle Fiber

Strength, Power and Speed Training develop the Fast-Type IIa and "Super Fast"-Type IIb/x Muscle Fiber.

These Fast Twitch Muscle Fiber are "Shooting Stars". They are exhausted in approximately 10 - 15 seconds.

This in part has to do with the Fast Twitch Muscle Fiber "Running out of gas", ATP/Adenosine Triphosphate. More to come.

Once they are exhausted, they are no longer being trained or developed.

The Slow*Type i Muscle Fiber engaged and trained.

The Phosphagen Energy/ATP System, AKA: Alactate

Maximum Strength, Power and Speed Training utilize ATP, Adenosine Triphosphate for fuel.

As noted above, is it pretty much depleted in 10 - 15 seconds.

Thus, Circuit Complexes are ineffective in the development of Maximum Strength, Power and Speed.

Anti-Glycolytic Training

Circuit Training falls into the Glycolytic Energy Training System.

Strong First is an advocate of A + A Training and avoiding the Glycolytic Energy System; Anti-Glycolytic Training, minimizing lactate production. Lactate build up lead to a decrease in Maximum Strength, Power and Speed.

Bodybuilders training revolves around training in the Glycolytic Energy System. That because lactate production (The Burn) triggers anabolic muscle growth.

With that in mind, research by Dr Jonathan Oliver found a hypertrophy training protocol that allows to you increase muscle mass while maintaining and/or increasing Power, Speed and Maximum Strength via Anti-Glycolytic Training.

Cluster Set Training

Cluster Sets are set of repetition with in a set.

An exercise is performed for 1 - 3 Repetitions. A short rest period of 10 - 45 seconds is taken. It is then followed by another sub set of 1 -3 Repetition. Additional sub sets of 1 - 3 Repetition can be continued.

Squat Cluster Set Example

Sub Set 1: 135 lbs X 3 Reps

Rest: 20 Seconds

Sub Set 2: 135 lbs X 3 Reps

Sub Set 3: 135 lbs X 3 Reps

This concludes 1 Custer Set.

ATP Restoration

These brief Rest Periods between each Cluster Set allows for ATP Restoration; you refuel your muscles. The longer the Rest Period between Cluster Reps, the greater the restoration of ATP.

1) 30 Second Rest Period: Research show that up to 50% of Muscle ATP is restored.

2) 45 Second Rest Periods: Research (Dr Greg Haff/former Olympic Lifter) found that up to 79% of Muscle ATP is restored.

3) Anti-Glycolytic Training: Taking short rest period between sub sets of repetition is ATG, It decreases lactate build up. Metaphorically speaking, these short rest period allow the body to take out the garbage (lactate) rather than letting it build up to the point of muscle fatigue.

EMOM, Every Minute On The Minute

A much more effective method of increasing Power and Speed and to some degree Maximum Strength is the EMOM Method.

This is Cluster Set Training. If falls into the same category as HIIT (High Intensity Interval Cardio Training) and HIIRT (High Intenstiy Interval Resistance Training).

Take Home Message

Complex Circuits are an effective method for Metabolic Training, GPP Method and can be employed for Warm Ups.

They do promotes some increased in Maximum Strength, Power and Speed to a small degree. However, not as well as other methods.

Last edited:
the Javorek complex one is a go-to for a lot of S&C coaches as a great one-stop shop for getting a lot done in a short time.

Circuit Training

This falls into the category of Metabolic Training, which was addressed in the previous post.

there's also this complex for 'Olympic lifting and Crossfit'. I don't know what the heck this boy's doing but those are like no power snatches or power cleans I've ever seen (unless you count these, from Lolo Jones)! Looks like he's about ready to puke after one circuit too.

"This Complex" and "These, from Lolo"...

This article is, as you noted a Circuit, Metabolic Training.

CrossFit often uses Olympic Movements for Metabolic Training with multiple repetition pushed to failure or near it.

The issue with that is as fatigue set in, technique falls apart rather than being developed.

Secondly, it does more to develop Slow Twitch Muscle Fiber rather than Fast Twitch.

Olympic Movement are Power Movements and need to be trained, as such.

Puking

For some reason many individual consider this to be a yard stick that measures how effective a training session is.

If that were true, Rhabdomyolysis in which muscle pain, muscle weakness, vomiting, irregular heart beat, kidney issues, etc would be the objective of training.

Last edited:
The issue with that is as fatigue set in, technique falls apart rather than developed.

I'm in complete agreement with you there. In both of those clips however it appears that the technique was never there in the first place. Poor technique leading to inefficiency isn't a problem if you're only concerned with doing 'work' as opposed to moving maximal weights; it only becomes a problem if it leads to an increase in the risk of injury, acute or chronic. I'm way off topic now though.

Thank you for the responses, Chris, Kenny and Craig.

I currently do a variation of Stronglifts 5x5 and ICF but with weighted calisthenics exercises which is as follows.

A.
5 x 5 Squats
5 x 5 Bench press
5 x 5 Weighted pull-up
5 x 5 Weighted chin-ups
4 x 10 Weighted dips
4 x 10 Barbell shrugs
4 x 10 Triceps extensions
4 x 10 Incline curls
B.
5 x 5 Squats
5 x 5 Bench press
1 x 5 Deadlift
5 x 5 Overhead press
4 x 10 Weighted dips
4 x 10 Barbell shrugs
4 x 10 Incline curls

I don't do any Olympic lifts as part of the routine but a 5-10 minute 1RM complex of the power clean and jerk circuit mentioned above could work.

It appears that low-rep circuits or 1RM circuits with the Olympic lifts and training them as power movements preworkout would build more strength and performance than the metabolic style of training that crossfit competitors do.

Would traditional Olympic lifting considered to be more of a combination of strength-speed and maximal strength while crossfit could be defined as speed-strength with power at the highest level of crossfit?

A.
5 x 5 Squats
5 x 5 Bench press
5 x 5 Weighted pull-up
5 x 5 Weighted chin-ups
4 x 10 Weighted dips
4 x 10 Barbell shrugs
4 x 10 Incline curls
B.
5 x 5 Squats
5 x 5 Bench press
1 x 5 Deadlift
5 x 5 Overhead press
4 x 10 Weighted dips
4 x 10 Barbell shrugs
4 x 10 Incline curls

Are these exercise all performed in one workout?

If so, that is too much.

It appears that low-rep circuits or 1RM circuits with the Olympic lifts and training them as power movements preworkout would build more strength and performance than the metabolic style of training that crossfit competitors do.

Circuit

If you are defining Circuit as non-stop exercises, that fall more into metabolic training.

Metabolic Resistance Training increases strength but not to the same extent a Maximum Strength Training Program will.

Would traditional Olympic lifting considered to be more of a combination of strength-speed and maximal strength while crossfit could be defined as speed-strength with power at the highest level of crossfit?

Olympic Lifting

Yes, it is Strength-Speed.

Some of, if not, the greatest Power Outputs registered are from Olympic Lifters.

Dr John Garhammer's Research

During Entire Snatch or Clean Pull Movements:
34.3 w/kg Men
21.8 w/kg Women

Second Pulls:
52.6 w/kg Men
39.2 w/kg Women

Squat and Deadlift:
12 w/kg Men
Source: The No Deadlift Program to Improve Your Deadlift

Olympic Lifers: The Poster Children For Conjugate Training

Olympic Lifter develop Maximum Strength with Traditional Exercises: Squats, Presses, Deadlifts, etc.

Strength: Foundation of Power

The foundation of Power is built with Maximum Strength Training.

As Dr Mike Stone (formerly with the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, CO) stated in an interview, for American Olympic Lifter to place higher and win medals, they need to get stronger.

A reference of strength being the foundation is Dr Fred Hatfield's analogy, "You can't shoot a canon from a canoe."

In other words, you need a strong foundation to shoot it from.

CrossFit

Many of there training method are counter productive.

A example of that is their use of Olympic Movements for Metabolic Training. The Lolo video of her Power Clean for Repetition posted above is an example.

Performing Olympic Movement for Reps and going to failure, as Lolo did, is definitely effective for Metabolic Training.

However, the downside is

1) Poor technique is developed. The mentality is to get as many repetition in any way you can.

2) Power drops like a rock after 1 to 2 Reps. With each additional rep, more Power/Strength is lost.

As muscle fatigue set in technique falls apart.

The Fast Twitch Muscle Fiber are no longer involved. That in part due to the depletion of ATP.

Power is produce by the Fast and especially "Super Fast" Muscle Fiber. Once are exhausted, Power is not being trained nor developed.

What happens is the Slow Twitch Muscle Fiber are engage.

"...Crossfit could be defined as speed-strength with power at the highest level of crossfit?"

A lot of CrossFit's training revolves around Metabolic Conditioning.

I would not categorize or define most of their training as "speed-strength" training. While some Power is developed, it in the shallow end of the pool, so to speak.

Power Movements

Olympic Movement definitely develop Power. However, they require skill.

Other movement that develop Power and are quickly and easily learned are...

1) Kettlebell Swings. Power is optimally developed with Heavy Kettlebell Swings or by Banded Kettlebell Swing with a lighter Bell.

2) Trap Bar Jump Squats: Research demonstrated that Power Outputs are similar to Olympic Movements.

That because Trap Bar Jumps are essentially an Olympic High Pull Movement.

For someone who doesn't have a Trap Bar, holding Dumbbells and performing Jumps elicits the same training effect.

Last edited:
Personally, I don't like using the Olympic lifts for barbell complexes because it messes with my technique for competition.

Instead, I'll just do doubles or triples of C&J or snatches with short 30 second rest periods, which simulates a worst case scenario of having to "follow myself" on the platform at a meet.

Or I'll do complexes that consist only of assistance exercises: OH squat + Sots press, for example.

If you're not competing, this probably isn't much of a concern.

Circuit Training

This falls into the category of Metabolic Training, which was addressed in the previous post.

"This Complex" and "These, from Lolo"...

This article is, as you noted a Circuit, Metabolic Training.

CrossFit often uses Olympic Movements for Metabolic Training with multiple repetition pushed to failure or near it.

The issue with that is as fatigue set in, technique falls apart rather than being developed.

Secondly, it does more to develop Slow Twitch Muscle Fiber rather than Fast Twitch.

Olympic Movement are Power Movements and need to be trained, as such.

Puking

For some reason many individual consider this to be a yard stick that measures how effective a training session is.

If that were true, Rhabdomyolysis in which muscle pain, muscle weakness, vomiting, irregular heart beat, kidney issues, etc would be the objective of training.

Yes.

USA Weightlifting has an article on the specific types of conditioning that is useful for competitive weightlifters:

1. EMOM of the Olympic lifts noted as:

"You could do things such as on the minute (OTM) training or simply sets with limited or timed rest periods to mimic a competition setting. This will also force the athlete to have attempts taken while under some fatigue. This could help an experienced athlete learn to call on good technique even while under some stress and hopefully allow it to transfer in competition. Be careful using this with beginners."

2. Lactic conditioning not much use for maxing power output.

3. No mention of puking.

That being said.....

In my experience, a mild amount of glycolytic "metcon" training can be useful to weightlifters about 2-3 weeks out from a meet to make sure you can make weigh-in and nudge up competition day endurance to give a little more staying power across a whole day doing warm ups, getting on the platform, going back to warmups, getting on the platform again, etc. Much more than 3 weeks, though, and the hormonal price starts to kick in, reducing competitive readiness.

Aerobic conditioning in moderation also aids in recovery, but regular LISS is fine for this.

Last edited:
1. EMOM of the Olympic lifts noted as:

"You could do things such as on the minute (OTM) training or simply sets with limited or timed rest periods to mimic a competition setting..

Cluster Set Training

To reiterate, this is an effective method of increasing Power.

Cluster Sets - Current Methods for Introducing Variations to Training Sets, with Greg Haff

Dr Greg Haff's, a formerly Olympic Lifter, presentation at the National Strength and Conditioning Clinic goes into this in more detail

Haff's Power Point Presentation
file:///C:/Users/Admin/Downloads/Cluster%20Sets%20Haff%20Power%20Point%20(5).pdf

This Haff's Power Point NSCA Presentation is the Cliff Note of the video above.

Conditioning

As I've noted in previous post, Cluster Sets provide a conditioning effect. The same principle of High Intensity Interval Cardio is employed with Cluster Sets. Cluster Set elicit some a similar HIIT Training Effect effects: increasing anaerobic and aerobic capacity.

Aerobic Training for Recovery

Some type of Aerobic Training definitely enhances recovery.

This will also force the athlete to have attempts taken while under some fatigue. This could help an experienced athlete learn to call on good technique even while under some stress and hopefully allow it to transfer in competition.

Muscle Fatigues Impairs Technique

Training in a fatigued state, especially for highly technical movements, like the Olympic Lift is contraindicated.

One of the covenants of developing Technique is to stop once fatigue set it.

Continuing in a fatigued state promotes poor technique.

Muscle fatigue decrease Power. When Power Output is decreased more than 20% occurs, the movement shifts from being a Power Movement to more of a Strength Movement.

Training in a fatigued state isn't going to transfer well in competition.

...a mild amount of glycolytic "metcon" training can be useful to weightlifters bout 2-3 weeks out from a meet to make sure you can make weigh-in and nudge up competition day endurance to give a little more staying power across a whole day doing warm ups, getting on the platform, going back to warmups, getting on the platform again, etc. Much more than 3 weeks, though, and the hormonal price starts to kick in, reducing competitive readiness.

Metabolic Conditioning

Some Metabolic Conditioning is going to occur with EMOM/OTM Training.

2 - 3 Week Out

Exercise does little for weight loss. Making weight is more about calories.

Thus, 2 - 3 Weeks of Metabolic Conditioning prior to competition only minutely helps with cutting weight.

Cutting water weight is more effective than relying on Metabolic Training to make weight; that depending how long the weigh in before competition.

Aerobic conditioning in moderation also aids in recovery, but regular LISS is fine for this.

LISS

Yes, low to moderate Low Intensity Steady State works; The Strong First A + A Protocol.

Metabolic Conditioning

Some Metabolic Conditioning is going to occur with EMOM/OTM Training.

2 - 3 Week Out

Exercise does little for weight loss. Making weight is more about calories.

Thus, 2 - 3 Weeks of Metabolic Conditioning prior to competition only minutely helps with cutting weight.

Cutting water weight is more effective than relying on Metabolic Training to make weight; that depending how long the weigh in before competition.

Yes, of course, diet, but minute matters when your margin of error is in the range of 2 kg and the weigh-in is 2 hrs before competition that you get in small meets.

I've never been able to re-hydrate enough, quickly enough, to not have performance suffer if I try to just go all-in on diuretic approaches.

minute matters when your margin of error is in the range of 2 kg and the weigh-in is 2 hrs before competition

Weight In

If the weight in is 2 hours before the competition, cutting water weight isn't an effective approach.

That is why I stated that it "depending how long the weigh in is before competition."

2 - 3 Week Out

Performing some type of Metabolic Training to increase you metabolic rate with 2 -3 week before a competition provides a very marginal effect.

A easier and better outcome is achieved by decreasing your calorie intake. It is easier, less demanding and move effective than increasing your training prior to the competition.

As you know, in training for a competition, tapering your training down is one of the keys. The taper provide a greater rebound in recovery; "Supercompensation".

Adding more intensity training to a program deceases Supercompensation.

6 - 8 Weeks Out

This is a more effective approach would be to slightly be this method...

Intermittent energy restriction improves weight loss efficiency in obese men: the MATADOR study. - PubMed - NCBI

Research in this article shows that it takes around 2 weeks for the body to adapt to a calorie restricted diet. Once adaptation occurs weight loss stops.

The research determined this approach increased body fat weight loss while preserving muscle mass.

Research (Ivy and Norton, independent of each other) found that decreasing caloric intake approximately 20% ensures more fat loss occurs and more muscle mass is maintained.

Thus, Calorie Rotation by altering two weeks of decreasing calories approximately 20% then increasing calories 20%, back maintenance calorie intake, ensures the right kind of weight loss; decreased body fat while maintaining greater muscle mass.

I've never been able to re-hydrate enough, quickly enough, to not have performance suffer if I try to just go all-in on diuretic approaches.

I Never Advocated That

Because it doesn't work well for anyone unless you are able to re-hydrate over a 24 hour period rather than 2 hours.

I Never Advocated That

Because it doesn't work well for anyone unless you are able to re-hydrate over a 24 hour period rather than 2 hours.

I didn't infer that you had.

But nonetheless, it's a persistent tactic among some lifters that survives via folklore and is a somewhat common part of the chatter when standing in the morning line on meet day for weigh in.

Last meet, some guys right next to me were talking about how awful they felt because of the diuretics they had taken and how they couldn't wait to get weighed so they could immediately drink and eat the 32 oz of Gatorade and 4 candy bars they had in their bags.

Last edited:
Are these exercise all performed in one workout?

If so, that is too much.

Yes, it is a variation of ICF by Jason Blaha.

I am currently writing a routine which emphasizes the various types of training.

Circuit
If you are defining Circuit as non-stop exercises, that fall more into metabolic training.

Metabolic Resistance Training increases strength but not to the same extent a Maximum Strength Training Program will.

Olympic Lifting

Yes, it is Strength-Speed.

Some of, if not, the greatest Power Outputs registered are from Olympic Lifters.

Dr John Garhammer's Research

During Entire Snatch or Clean Pull Movements:
34.3 w/kg Men
21.8 w/kg Women

Second Pulls:
52.6 w/kg Men
39.2 w/kg Women

Squat and Deadlift:
12 w/kg Men
Source: The No Deadlift Program to Improve Your Deadlift

Olympic Lifers: The Poster Children For Conjugate Training

Olympic Lifter develop Maximum Strength with Traditional Exercises: Squats, Presses, Deadlifts, etc.

Strength: Foundation of Power

The foundation of Power is built with Maximum Strength Training.

As Dr Mike Stone (formerly with the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, CO) stated in an interview, for American Olympic Lifter to place higher and win medals, they need to get stronger.

A reference of strength being the foundation is Dr Fred Hatfield's analogy, "You can't shoot a canon from a canoe."

In other words, you need a strong foundation to shoot it from.

CrossFit

Many of there training method are counter productive.

A example of that is their use of Olympic Movements for Metabolic Training. The Lolo video of her Power Clean for Repetition posted above is an example.

Performing Olympic Movement for Reps and going to failure, as Lolo did, is definitely effective for Metabolic Training.

However, the downside is

1) Poor technique is developed. The mentality is to get as many repetition in any way you can.

2) Power drops like a rock after 1 to 2 Reps. With each additional rep, more Power/Strength is lost.

As muscle fatigue set in technique falls apart.

The Fast Twitch Muscle Fiber are no longer involved. That in part due to the depletion of ATP.

Power is produce by the Fast and especially "Super Fast" Muscle Fiber. Once are exhausted, Power is not being trained nor developed.

What happens is the Slow Twitch Muscle Fiber are engage.

"...Crossfit could be defined as speed-strength with power at the highest level of crossfit?"

A lot of CrossFit's training revolves around Metabolic Conditioning.

I would not categorize or define most of their training as "speed-strength" training. While some Power is developed, it in the shallow end of the pool, so to speak.

Power Movements

Olympic Movement definitely develop Power. However, they require skill.

Other movement that develop Power and are quickly and easily learned are...

1) Kettlebell Swings. Power is optimally developed with Heavy Kettlebell Swings or by Banded Kettlebell Swing with a lighter Bell.

2) Trap Bar Jump Squats: Research demonstrated that Power Outputs are similar to Olympic Movements.

That because Trap Bar Jumps are essentially an Olympic High Pull Movement.

For someone who doesn't have a Trap Bar, holding Dumbbells and performing Jumps elicits the same training effect.

They have 1RM qualifiers and competitions in Crossfit as well.

Yes, the majority of crossfit training could be described as metabolic training but I have also seen people at the crossfit games snatch 300lbs or more and while that may not be greater than the current Olympic standards, it is an impressive feat of strength.

Thank you for explaining the different methods of training. I find it difficult to combine the various types of training as I enjoy them all and while some people have said to only focus on one type of training, I prefer a hybrid of training. Previously, I did bodybuilding type training which was 5x5 for compounds and 3x10 for hypertrophy exercises.

Last edited:
I think one thing to be noted when it comes to complexes or circuits or however you call them, is that they were used by very successful athletes and coaches, for example Vasily Alekseyev as both. Now, we can of course ask whether they were successful because of the complexes or despite them. Something to consider.

When it comes to the complexes, I haven't really seen many original examples apart from the Javorek complexes. I would suspect that they would fall under the repetition method and that they would also work as warm up or cool down.

I agree that I would hesitate using competition exercises in complexes. There isn't one in the Javorek complexes.

I have little personal experience with the barbell complexes, but I have tried out the Javorek complex #1 some times and I think it's worth a try.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom