all posts post new thread

Barbell Barbell Form Check

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
If I just bend down and grab hold of a bar my lumbar spine is bent (not that i can tell except by watching it back). If I try and extend my spine, bring my chest up etc then I get a flat back that I can hold rigid with my abs as I lift. Because of my deficient flexibility 'chest up / back extension' serves me quite well as a 'cue' to get to neutral spine.

I agree, the cue of extending the spine to set the back for deadlifting can be interpreted different ways, and is not meant to direct someone to literally arch the back. It's meant to teach someone to "cause the erector spinae mucles to contract under your concious direction." (Rippetoe, Starting Strengh: Basic Barbell Training 3rd ed.). He clarifies on p. 108-109 that lumbar overextension is not desirable, in fact is "unnecessary and counterproductive" but "an inflexible person might need to try to hyperextend just to get into a correct lordotic position." As for the upper back, the "chest up" cue is to get someone to use the muscles of the upper back (note, NOT squeezing the shoulder blades together) so that the entire back is contracted and positioned properly to pull without moving the hips.

So I also agree there's not a difference in the actual recommended back position for the pull, though I would say there is more emphasis on the contraction of the back muscles and "chest up" from SS.

The StrongFirst method will not only get you strong, but in a safe and effective way.

I concur; the StrongFirst method is fine, safe, and effective. Thank you, Doc Hartle....

Set 2

Set 3

Hi. Are there notable differences in my technique between these two sets? Which set is better by SFL standards as far as technique goes? Are they up to the technique test standard?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom