all posts post new thread

Barbell Barbell/Kettlebell Program

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Ryan W

Level 5 Valued Member
Just wanted to put this out there; been doing this program for about a year and I like it.

Monday
Barbell Overhead Press
Back Squat
Pullups

Tuesday
S&S
30 minute run (Maffetone Method)

Wednesday
Ruck March

Thursday
Light Squat
Bench Press
Deadlift

Friday
S&S
30 minute run (Maffetone Method)

Saturday
Ruck March

Sunday
REST

Looks like a good combination. How do you decide what weight to use? Did you make progress over the year?

Looks like a good combination. How do you decide what weight to use? Did you make progress over the year?

I started at a weight that I could easily do 5x5 with. I added 10 lbs a week to the squat and deadlift, 5 lbs per week for the bench, overhead press, and pullups. When I couldn't get 5x5 I dropped to 5x3, then 6x2, and finally 10x1. When I couldn't get the 10 singles I'd deload, find a new 1 RM, and then start at 75% of that for a new cycle.

Made really good progress on all lifts. Got my squat up from 300 to 410; deadlift from 370 to 500. Run and ruck times got a lot better. Best part was that I never felt really beat up or anything.

Should add that twice a week I did the McGill Big Three (Wed/Sat) and yoga (Tue/Fri). Did both of these at home with my kids.

Nothing revolutionary or sexy about it. Pretty simple; just thought some people might be interested in it.

Excellent! That's are solid results. I like your progression scheme.

I think your program needs a clever name. How about "RISC SCP" - "Ryan's Indefinitely Sustainable Combo Strength & Conditioning Program"

That's outstanding, both your design/plan and the results that came. What's your nutrition look like if you don't mind? and did you try and progress S&S at all, or just use it as an "off day" from your barbell stuff? Again, nice work man.

That's outstanding, both your design/plan and the results that came. What's your nutrition look like if you don't mind? and did you try and progress S&S at all, or just use it as an "off day" from your barbell stuff? Again, nice work man.

1 gram of protein per pound of lean body weight. All the veggies/greens I want. Limit starches.

S&S was mostly just supplemental.

I found similar success with yomping. As I got stronger I was able to yomp further, longer, with more weight and even faster.

As well as better aesthetics and body composition. Although that's just a nice bonus to the performance increase.

I also like to incorporate S&S on non strength training days too.

I started at a weight that I could easily do 5x5 with. I added 10 lbs a week to the squat and deadlift, 5 lbs per week for the bench, overhead press, and pullups. When I couldn't get 5x5 I dropped to 5x3, then 6x2, and finally 10x1. When I couldn't get the 10 singles I'd deload, find a new 1 RM, and then start at 75% of that for a new cycle.

Made really good progress on all lifts. Got my squat up from 300 to 410; deadlift from 370 to 500. Run and ruck times got a lot better. Best part was that I never felt really beat up or anything.

Should add that twice a week I did the McGill Big Three (Wed/Sat) and yoga (Tue/Fri). Did both of these at home with my kids.

Nothing revolutionary or sexy about it. Pretty simple; just thought some people might be interested in it.
Looks like a great hybrid program with solid guidelines for load/deloading. I am going to adopt this program as my own for a little while.

How did your pull-ups progress? I am interested in gaining more volume to my max pull-ups just for myself/fun, so I'm curious to know how once a week, 5x5, and, I am assuming, weighted pull-ups worked for you.

Looks like a really great program. 2 questions: How light were your squats and were they also 5x5?

Edit to clarify: on the Light squat day.

Last edited:
@Steve Freides you are right, according the book The Yompers (describing 45 Commando's dismounted advance across the Falklands during the 1982 Falklands War) a yomp is a ruck to the British Royal Marines. The rest of the UK's armed forces calls a ruck a 'Tab'.

I've been doing a very similar program. Gym day 1 is incline bench(flat bench bothers my shoulder too much after tearing my labrum), barbell row and back squat. Gym day 2 is deadlift, military press and weighted chins, then 2x per week S+S.

I'm trying to figure the best way to add double snatches and double clean and jerks in with some barbell lifts.

Looking at doing something similar but with Dan John's armor complex.
I kinda have to do kb on Tues and Sat as it is something I do with my kids and those are the days that fit.

Been running
Sun - Bench, Row and Squat
Tues - 10min Swings 10min Armor
Thursday - Bench, Row and Squat
Sat -10min Swings 10min Armor

I worry it might be too much pressing.

I’m on a similar routine.

Day-1 Barbell squat, Overhead press, Weighted pull-up
Day-2 LISS (run, ruck, walk, or swim)
Day-3 Q&D protocol 015
Day-4 Yoga / mobility

Rest whenever required for recovery, travel, or life. Just keep slowly progressing weight or reps over 6 week blocks. Day-3 can be a short Armor Building Complex from time to time.

Mine goes like this:

Tues, Thu, Sat

Weightlifting practice (C&J, snatch, squats, pulls, accessories)

Mon, Fri

Multiplanar variety day (KB windmills, KB TGU, clubs, maces, Cossack squats)

Wed, Sun

Mobility day, Pilates

Every Day:

Walk & squats
World's greatest stretch
90-90, pigeon
Russian baby makers

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom