all posts post new thread

Barbell Barbell over 50: Easier to do more than less

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Isn't this the truth....this whole game is like the "Little Dutch Boy" trying to plug 10 leaks with 11 fingers. When you change your focus, or even your eating, at least one of your numbers will drop. I've rucked/dieted 18 lbs away in the past couple months. I'm sure the next time I try to snatch the 32kg it will have somehow "gained" ~10kg....!!

Tell me about it.

Dropping from <109 to <102 and my C&J numbers are a disaster.

Snatch is slightly less bad.

back in the day when I was focussed on such things my 1 rep maxes would suffer whenever I lost weight and they would doubly suffer when my body fat dropped below about 20%. I was definitely stronger when heavier and stronger when fatter
This is true, but when you have high blood pressure and you take medicine to control it in a normal way /like me/ and when your blood sugar is more and more above the norm, although it is not in the diabetic range /like me/ and when subcutaneous your fat is over 30% /like me/ you are thinking more and more about what is the priority. I feel great at this weight as well, but the health indicators more accurately show what your health is like. It is true that I have led an unhealthy lifestyle and now I try to cut out bad foods and alcohol, but this is not enough in my opinion. I need to get a lot of fat off my body.

This is true, but when you have high blood pressure and you take medicine to control it in a normal way /like me/ and when your blood sugar is more and more above the norm, although it is not in the diabetic range /like me/ and when subcutaneous your fat is over 30% /like me/ you are thinking more and more about what is the priority. I feel great at this weight as well, but the health indicators more accurately show what your health is like. It is true that I have led an unhealthy lifestyle and now I try to cut out bad foods and alcohol, but this is not enough in my opinion. I need to get a lot of fat off my body.
Just personally I would focus more on the health indicators than the amount of bodyfat you are carrying at any particular point in time, while recognising the benefits of lowering bodyfat sensibly. Lifestyle improvements designed to improve blood pressure, cholesterol, kidney, liver etc will get you further in life than simply cutting calories to affect your scale weight. No-one wants to be fat but you can live to 100 and be fat provided everything else is looking good. Tackle your metabolic indicators and VOILA! that fatness might take care of itself. All the best brother

Just personally I would focus more on the health indicators than the amount of bodyfat you are carrying at any particular point in time, while recognising the benefits of lowering bodyfat sensibly. Lifestyle improvements designed to improve blood pressure, cholesterol, kidney, liver etc will get you further in life than simply cutting calories to affect your scale weight. No-one wants to be fat but you can live to 100 and be fat provided everything else is looking good. Tackle your metabolic indicators and VOILA! that fatness might take care of itself. All the best brother
That's right my friend, I totally agree with you. It's just that things will run parallel. Both to improve health indicators based on a healthier lifestyle, and to look better. Which will happen if I eat healthier food /and in less quantity than until now/, don't drink alcohol, don't smoke cigarettes and do sports.

Isn't this the truth....this whole game is like the "Little Dutch Boy" trying to plug 10 leaks with 11 fingers. When you change your focus, or even your eating, at least one of your numbers will drop. I've rucked/dieted 18 lbs away in the past couple months. I'm sure the next time I try to snatch the 32kg it will have somehow "gained" ~10kg....!!
Its amazing what even a 10 lb difference can make to one’s center of gravity and feeling of stability moving things around.

... when you have high blood pressure and you take medicine to control it in a normal way /like me/ and when your blood sugar is more and more above the norm, although it is not in the diabetic range /like me/ and when subcutaneous your fat is over 30% /like me/ you are thinking more and more about what is the priority. I feel great at this weight as well...
If people felt bad when they were overweight, we wouldn't have an obesity epidemic!

... but the health indicators more accurately show what your health is like. It is true that I have led an unhealthy lifestyle and now I try to cut out bad foods and alcohol, but this is not enough in my opinion. I need to get a lot of fat off my body.

To quote @Dan John, the goal is to keep the goal, the goal. Your goal is to improve your health, and the main way you're planning to get there is by losing weight. So, diet is the first order of business, and exercise to support fat loss and overall health and don't have any other immediate exercise goals besides those. My guess is that a good amount of walking should be your base, and a minimalist strength program of some sort to go along with that.

As far as diet goes, I am personally a fan of what @Fabio Zonin has called a "jolly day" in his article on body composition here. Tim Ferriss advocates something similar. If you'll forgive a flawed comparison, one can become a more spiritual person without moving into a monastery, and one can improve one's health and diet and still be allowed to have a drink or a few slices of pizza, just keep the latter group of foods in moderation and, perhaps most important, keep the feeling of being in control of yourself - have the drink or the pizza when you decide it's in keeping with your goals, and when it's not, toughen up and just say no to those things.

JMO, YMMV.

-S-

If people felt bad when they were overweight, we wouldn't have an obesity epidemic!

To quote @Dan John, the goal is to keep the goal, the goal. Your goal is to improve your health, and the main way you're planning to get there is by losing weight. So, diet is the first order of business, and exercise to support fat loss and overall health and don't have any other immediate exercise goals besides those. My guess is that a good amount of walking should be your base, and a minimalist strength program of some sort to go along with that.

As far as diet goes, I am personally a fan of what @Fabio Zonin has called a "jolly day" in his article on body composition here. Tim Ferriss advocates something similar. If you'll forgive a flawed comparison, one can become a more spiritual person without moving into a monastery, and one can improve one's health and diet and still be allowed to have a drink or a few slices of pizza, just keep the latter group of foods in moderation and, perhaps most important, keep the feeling of being in control of yourself - have the drink or the pizza when you decide it's in keeping with your goals, and when it's not, toughen up and just say no to those things.

JMO, YMMV.

-S-
Following a diet and diet have been the most difficult for me. Visiting the gym is the easiest. I have no problem with lifting weights, even if I overdo it sometimes and even go to the gym every day /just lately I don't feel like working out like I used to/ but I have a harder time resisting food. In many cases, eating for me was not just giving the body the necessary nutrients, but pleasure. For example, some people feel sick if they overeat and go to sleep, but it was the opposite for me. I've been feeling great overfed and sleeping well. These few days I'm on 1200-1800 calories and I have no problem with them being that low if I don't exercise. However, if I work out, the hunger is fierce.
What do you mean by a minimalist strength program? Give an example. However, for me, training is not just about incorporating some strength exercises for health, but something more challenging.
As I already mentioned in my training diary, I will get a KB 20 kg., that the KB 18 kg. I started with is light for me and I am starting again some program including mainly C§P

Following a diet and diet have been the most difficult for me. Visiting the gym is the easiest. I have no problem with lifting weights, even if I overdo it sometimes and even go to the gym every day /just lately I don't feel like working out like I used to/ but I have a harder time resisting food. In many cases, eating for me was not just giving the body the necessary nutrients, but pleasure. For example, some people feel sick if they overeat and go to sleep, but it was the opposite for me. I've been feeling great overfed and sleeping well. These few days I'm on 1200-1800 calories and I have no problem with them being that low if I don't exercise. However, if I work out, the hunger is fierce.
What do you mean by a minimalist strength program? Give an example. However, for me, training is not just about incorporating some strength exercises for health, but something more challenging.
As I already mentioned in my training diary, I will get a KB 20 kg., that the KB 18 kg. I started with is light for me and I am starting again some program including mainly C§P
Remember to keep your focus on your goal.

Minimalist strength training - well, you mention you "overdo it sometimes" in the gym. That's not good for your weight loss, IMO. Fierce hunger as a result of strength training? Change your strength training program if your goal is to weigh less.

StrongFirst has many minimalist strength training programs. Kettlebell Simple and Sinister. Enter The Kettlebell. Power To The People (for barbell). Naked Warrior (for bodyweight). and our Article section contains many other programs. You might consider the article Dry Fighting Weight. The program would be an excellent fit for someone in your situation, IMO.

-S-

It will be something like that. Yes.
Unless you are skilled at programming, I wouldn't do "something like that" - just do that, exactly.

The only modification I might make would be that, if 30 minutes seems to long for you, start at 20, run the full cycle, then run again at 25 or 30 minutes.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom