all posts post new thread

Barbell Barbell over 50: Easier to do more than less

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
There was a point where I wondered if I should make the decision to stop going to the gym and just continue my home workouts with CB and yoga. And when the weather is good, I do chin-ups and dips on the sports ground. In fact, what do you think about these two exercises when you are about 50 years old and overweight. I am heavy / personal weight 110 kg. I'm currently 178 cm tall/ and I don't know if it's good to do chins. I sometimes have a little tension in the tendons the next day, but it's not fatal. I have no problems after dips. In any case, I need to lose weight to at least 90 kg. I don't feel like it for now.

I'm 52, 182 cm, 102 kg. So I'm not small.

I do chin ups and dips every week.

If you can do them comfortably, safely, and with good form, I think they're great at any age.

There was a point where I wondered if I should make the decision to stop going to the gym and just continue my home workouts with CB and yoga. And when the weather is good, I do chin-ups and dips on the sports ground. In fact, what do you think about these two exercises when you are about 50 years old and overweight. I am heavy / personal weight 110 kg. I'm currently 178 cm tall/ and I don't know if it's good to do chins. I sometimes have a little tension in the tendons the next day, but it's not fatal. I have no problems after dips. In any case, I need to lose weight to at least 90 kg. I don't feel like it for now.
Ho, I was going to forget. Not yesterday, but the previous time when I visited the gym, I tried to squat with an empty barbell overhead. Naturally I failed and my movement ended somewhere 1/3 of the way from it. Previously, while in my office, I tried squatting with my arms straight and overhead, and it worked out easily. But when I picked up the bar in the evening it was a total disaster :) I know this exercise is learned gradually but I just wanted to check where my mobility is at.
Overweight people doing bodyweight exercises can be a magnet for tendon/joint injuries but if you don't experience soreness in those areas go for it. Otherwise try chins stopping with your eyes level with the bar and push ups where your elbows stay tucked close to your body (ie no flaring out to aggravate the shoulder). Done correctly bodyweight exercises are all your regular Joe ever needs but their lack of weight variability can cause problems early on

That's how I generally do chin-ups, and in the gym I do them with a parallel grip. I don't raise myself to very high and I don't lower myself to the lowest position in which the shoulders tense up.
I meant KB and Yoga because I see I got the letter wrong, and you've both already quoted me which is why I didn't want to edit my post.

Something to consider - different people may well respond to volume and intensity differently. It isn't about believing one or the other as much as it is how someone (or yourself) responds. One person responding to volume doesn't invalidate someone else responding to intensity.
There's always the danger of making it an 'either... or...' thing. I know you know this - just pointing it out.

No matter what your chosen method or goals are, I think it's important to have an 'off-season' where you mix things up ('vary your diet' so to speak) and shore up weaknesses and gaps. Probably something to add to the list.

There's always the danger of making it an 'either... or...' thing. I know you know this - just pointing it out.

No matter what your chosen method or goals are, I think it's important to have an 'off-season' where you mix things up ('vary your diet' so to speak) and shore up weaknesses and gaps. Probably something to add to the list.
Good reminder!

How you train differently after a certain age will depend on, the very least:
  • How you trained prior to reaching that age.

• Whether you are keeping the same goals.

• Whether you now have chronic conditions like arthritis or unrecovered-from injuries.
Those are some of the reasons it's tough to find universal principles and practices in this area.

-S-

If it weren’t for my knees, I’d say fairly heavy load Cluster Sets was the perfect way to train for the 50+.

For me the biggest training adversary is full ROM eccentrics on my squat movements. This is something I’ve just learned to accept recently. I can do ATG isometric squat, and even with a partial ROM. For some reason the full range load and unload kills my knees.

I absolutely cannot compromise my mobility at work, upper or lower.

I agree with Steve, there is no universal “older trainee” principles.

Good one.

My training has always been seasonal, but I've done that since I was a kid, so I never thought if it as an >50 thing.

At 59, the more frequently I train the better I feel. Period. Work or family commitments will "insert" a rest day almost always when I honestly need one. Rucking, KB snatching, pullups, heavy cleans: I mix them up in no particular order as I'm not training for anything specific right now. Wait, I am training to be the "wrong old man" if someone is ever looking to cause trouble.

I've lately gravitated toward rucking a lot more, the more I do it the better I feel all over. If I can sneak away, today will be 5 consecutive days with a 24kg rucksack.

At 59, the more frequently I train the better I feel. Period. Work or family commitments will "insert" a rest day almost always when I honestly need one. Rucking, KB snatching, pullups, heavy cleans: I mix them up in no particular order as I'm not training for anything specific right now. Wait, I am training to be the "wrong old man" if someone is ever looking to cause trouble.

I've lately gravitated toward rucking a lot more, the more I do it the better I feel all over. If I can sneak away, today will be 5 consecutive days with a 24kg rucksack.

These days, if my rest days have too much rest, it causes me problems.

I used to be able to train hard, and then spend the next day as a couch potato, and then train again hard on the 3rd day just fine.

Now if I get too lazy on my rest days, it just seems to make things dusty.

I have got to start doing this with a lighter rucksack on my walks everyday.

At 49 years old I just stick to kettlebells. I just recently gave up curls and triceps work. My goals have changed from being big to just being strong and healthy. And instead of getting a rush from lifting heavy, or a kick from getting swole, I find that I have fun doing complicated movements....the Turkish Get Up...and slowly working my way towards enough mobility for a Bent Press.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom