all posts post new thread

Barbell Barbell programming help

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Andrew Duncan

Level 4 Valued Member
Can someone please recommend a 2 (maybe 3) day per week barbell strength program I can run alongside Simple and Sinister (also 2 days per week)? Preferably something minimalist - I'd rather not be in the local gym any longer than I'd need to be. My first thought was PTTP, but as I do a lot of heavy lifting at work I'm wondering if squats might be a better option over deadlifts, and the more I think about it the more I've just ended up confusing myself.

Goals are to just be strong in general, and some hypertrophy without going too gung-ho with it.

Choose a press (eg bench press) a pull (eg barbell row) and a legs (eg squat, DL or leg press) exercise and do three to five hard (one to two reps shy of failure) sets of each, keep the reps 10+ if you want hypertrophy. Very simple. Very effective.

Day 1 bench and deadlift. Day 2 overhead press and squat. Do one tough set a day, or two, if you can. Some people can, it also depends on the weight of the day. Add weight next week. When the rep range gets too small, like under three, start again lower. Do a thorough warm-up and treat it as serious practice.

Or try the basic cluster from Tactical Barbell. Squat, bench press and pull up. 3-5 sets of 3-5 reps, 2-3x a week. The book goes into more detail about how to program it,, such as adding optional DL.

Or Dan John’s Southwood workout. Clean, press, front squat, bench press done 8-6-4. When I do this one I do the BP with DBs and add a DB row to balance out the pushing and pulling. Or just C+P+FSQ as a complex.

Either one is pretty time efficient, with moves different ffrom S&S.

Or try the basic cluster from Tactical Barbell. Squat, bench press and pull up. 3-5 sets of 3-5 reps, 2-3x a week. The book goes into more detail about how to program it,, such as adding optional DL.

Or Dan John’s Southwood workout. Clean, press, front squat, bench press done 8-6-4. When I do this one I do the BP with DBs and add a DB row to balance out the pushing and pulling. Or just C+P+FSQ as a complex.

Either one is pretty time efficient, with moves different ffrom S&S.
Is the 8-6-4 the reps for each exercise?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom