all posts post new thread

Barbell Barbell Recommendation for Tactical Strength Challenge

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

rjworth

Level 1 Valued Member
Hi all!

Having recently reached the Simple Standard, I'm branching out a little bit with my programming and am looking into preparing for the TSC. Most of my recent training has been S&S with the simple standard but have started pressing. Overall goal is general fitness, weight loss, and having a goal to strive for. (I'm already working on nutrition as well for weight loss).

A friend of mine is giving me his old collection of plates along with a barbell (not sure what brand or type yet). I was considering purchasing my own bar to go along with the weight, specifically for deadlifts and the Tactical Strength Challenge. I am not planning on doing heavy squats or bench press any time soon, as there's still so much to explore with KB's on that front for me, and KB's have helped me recover from a number of longstanding aches and pains from prior service in the military.

With that in mind, I've narrowed it down to something like a Rogue 2.0 bar or an Ohio Bar. But at the same time, I'm tempted to get a barbell that's tailored to deadlifting since that's the only barbell lift I'm planning on training into the foreseeable future. Perhaps incorporating something like front/zercher squats or else switching things up with a trap bar for DL.

Any thoughts?

Hello,

I am not a competitor in powerlifting, so I don't know everything about this, but I have looked into it for similar reasons (I want to start doing PTTP after I hit Simple) and I think I will personally be going with an Ohio Power bar. While you may only do deadlifts, you might NOT and you'll be better off with a bar that is more well rounded. The deadlift bars are thinner and NOT IPF approved, so if you ever decide you want to compete, you will need a different bar to practice on. It also makes them more bendy so you can lift more in deadlifts, but not as good for presses should you ever want to do them.

With that in mind, I've narrowed it down to something like a Rogue 2.0 bar or an Ohio Bar. But at the same time, I'm tempted to get a barbell that's tailored to deadlifting since that's the only barbell lift I'm planning on training into the foreseeable future.
I think either one of those would work great for deadlifting and could be used for other things as well, when/if you want to do more. I don't think you need one tailored for deadlifting, but I suppose there could be reasons I'm not aware of. Mostly for deadlifting you just need a really strong stick that will hold plates on the end ;)

I think I will personally be going with an Ohio Power bar
That was the one I got and it was a good choice! It was great for all powerlifts. I did get an Oly lifting bar after spending a few months trying to do Olympic lifts with it though... not great for that.

Thanks for the advice! I'll probably go with the Ohio bar. @BJJ Shawn you're right I may end up catching the barbell bug, best to be prepared for that. @Anna C yes definitely it's helpful to think about it that way before I spend too much money on something I don't need.

I would just get a stiff powerlifting bar. That's what's used in competition in the big, drug tested international powerlifting federation, on every lift.

The deadlift bars are something I don't really see a point in personally.

But likely the bar your friend will give you will be fine.

A friend of mine is giving me his old collection of plates along with a barbell (not sure what brand or type yet). I was considering purchasing my own bar to go along with the weight, specifically for deadlifts and the Tactical Strength Challenge.

There is no need for you to purchase another bar unless and until you find reason to do so. Many of us, me included, lifted merrily for years on the kind of bar that people call "junk."

With that in mind, I've narrowed it down to something like a Rogue 2.0 bar or an Ohio Bar. But at the same time, I'm tempted to get a barbell that's tailored to deadlifting since that's the only barbell lift I'm planning on training into the foreseeable future. Perhaps incorporating something like front/zercher squats or else switching things up with a trap bar for DL.

Again, no need for you to buy anything that I can see.

A deadlift specialty bar, compared to a standard bar, will have the following characteristics:
  • Greater length.
  • Thinner grip area.
  • More bendy.
All these things combine to let most people pull more weight.

You can have a look here at the spec's for the Okie DL speciality bar, one I used for a number of years because it was used in the federation I lifted in most often: BAR_SPECS

Most PL federations specify a bar diameter between 28 and 29 mm. The bar above is 27 mm in diameter, and therefore required (and received) special approval by each federation that uses it in competition.

It's about 3-1/2 inches longer than standard. Standard is 2.2 m; bar above is 2.29 m

You can read the description at the link above. Everything about it is designed to help you deadlift more weight.

Here's another link to read if you want to know more about bars (and plates, benches ...) Legal Powerlifting Equipment Specifications and Rules | PowerliftingToWin

-S-

Having recently researched and shopped around for another barbell, I came across the One Basic bushing bar made by Vulcan Strength. It is rated well and comparable to the Rogue Echo bar, moderate knurling and good whip, 28mm...good all around home gym bar about $250 but with free shipping from Vulcan.

Having recently researched and shopped around for another barbell, I came across the One Basic bushing bar made by Vulcan Strength. It is rated well and comparable to the Rogue Echo bar, moderate knurling and good whip, 28mm...good all around home gym bar about $250 but with free shipping from Vulcan.
I think the Rogue Ohio Power Bar is $245 + shipping, and it's 29 mm.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom