all posts post new thread

Recommendations/Reviews/FS/WTB Barbell recommendation

Products recommendations and reviews, items For Sale or Wanted To Buy
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Phil12

Level 8 Valued Member
Hey gang, my generic cheap-o CAP bar has given up the ghost and I need to start looking for a replacement. Budget is a factor. I'm just doing basic powerlifting and the worst I will be doing to it is deadlifting 400.

I'll be keeping an eye on Craigslist, but despite the fact that I live in the 4th largest city in the US, it seems good equipment is rarely posted on there. Maybe I'm not good at using it, I don't know. Plus everybody on there wants to sell me an "olympic bench press" along with the bar. :rolleyes:

+1 for the Rogue Bar. That is what I own and I love it. I have used bars that cost three times as much, and the Rogue feels just as good to me. Definitely better than most others in its price range.

With Rogues reputation I would even get their "beater bar" if I needed a less expensive option. I really could not reccomend anything else in that price range. It is probably worth saving up for a decent barbell. A good bar will give you years of training. Cheap bars always have either super slick or super sharp knurling and have collars that don't rotate well. And I hate collars that don't turn smoothly.

One good thing about Crossfit is that there are a bunch of equipment vendors catering to Crossfit that sell a range of decent to excellent barbells at a range of price points. A quick Googling of "crossfit equipment" will yield most of the popular ones (Rogue and MuscleDriver/Pendlay being two of the biggest).

We have one of the Rogue Beater bars and it is OK, but the knurl is definitely softer than most bars. My double OH deadlift is 20kg (44 lbs) less on that bar compared to any other b/c the knurl is so soft. Rogue in general makes good stuff and we have tons of it, but if a good knurl for deadlifts is a factor then the Beater may not be your best bet. With that said, I often use that one purposefully to help strengthen my grip.

$250-300 is okay for me. Would rather save for a bit and spend the money than have to replace it in under a year again. I have my kettlebells to entertain me for the time being.

Rogue Bar is what I was eyeing and probably would've ordered but I thought I should check first.

I have a rogue Ohio bar that is excellent for every lift, best bar I have ever used. I am saving up for the rogue Ohio Power Bar. Both bars made in the USA via Columbus OH.

So I got my Rogue Bar 2.0. The knurling was so sharp, it kinda threw me off my game today and I had to take some weight off for overhead press. I assume this is something I'll get used to quickly? I've really only ever used that one bar before.

To answer my own question, I'm on my third workout with this bar and it didn't bother me today.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom