all posts post new thread

Barbell Barbell Side Press from PTTP

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Bilal68

First Post
Hello,

I had a couple questions regarding the Barbell Side Press from PTTP:

1. Is the Side Press performed in a lockout position? Similar to the KB military press? The pictures of the Chief in the book don't look completely locked out.

2. Is a slight push press allowed for the Side Press?

Any info or guidance on the SP is much appreciated.

Bilal

@Bilal68,
I am not sure about the first question so I will not answer*. But the answer to the section question is No. I'm sure that the PTTP side press is a strict one.

* Of the record I would say that I think that the key teaching point of the PTTP side press is moving the load over you loaded side hip, than the lockout is secondary and should be improving with time as ROM increases. This thinking is based on the seven reasons why side press and photos from PTTP.

@Bilal68
1. Yes, you lock out the arm and stand upright at the top.

2. No, there should be no leg drive as in a push press. You do use some side lean and thoracic rotation to push yourself away from/under the bar as you press.

Some traditional definitions of the side press specify that both knees be locked out throughout the lift, but I believe it is shown in PTTP with the non-working side knee bent, and in my opinion this is fine. Then the difference between a side press and a bent press is that in the side press the weight is pressed upward throughout the lift until the arm is locked out, whereas in the bent press the weight moves upward as little as possible until the lifter locks out underneath it, and then stands up with the weight locked out.

Hope this helps.

@Bilal68 I use a stance similar to my Windmill. A locked loaded leg, and an unlocked unloaded leg. You could lock both legs of you prefer. There are two styles with this stance:
- bend slightly forward and away at the hips while pressing the weight, then wedge the hips under the weight once the arm is locked out
- bend slightly forward and away at the hips while pressing, then at the mid point of the press start wedging the hips under the weight, locking out the hips and arm at the same time

Then there is the Traditionl Side Press. Set up the same as a Bent Press. Then as you screw yourself under the weight you press simultaneously. Then once the weight is locked out stand by overhead squat or by wedging the hips. Unlike the Bent Press where the upper arm stays in contact with the body as long as possible, and you move under the weight, and is a support, not a press.

You can Side Rack Push Press and Jerk. It depends on what training effect you want. I can handle some pretty heavy awkward weights that way. As demonstrated by the great Thomas Inch

Do some heavy shouldering and side racking to get used to handling heavier weights. It will help your press just as heavy cleans help your Kettlebell military press. Heavy barbell shouldering is a powerful exercise in its own right. Shoulder a heavy barbell and take it for a walk, it's a challenging and unique carry. I will finish my pressing with 3ea x 5-10sec Barbell Shoulders at about 10% or more of my press weight of the day.

Last edited:
@krg It's not called a Two Hands Anyhow for nothing. A Double Bell C&P is a Two Hands Anyhow, just maybe not your heaviest.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom