all posts post new thread

Barbell barbell snatch video

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

pet'

Level 8 Valued Member
Hello,

Here is a video of a 59kg Chinese weightlifter doing a 130kg snatch. On the video, there are both slow motion and real motion

Kind regards,

Pet'

The Oldtime Strongman Charles Rigoulet had a challenge bar. The One Arm Barbell Snatch was his pet lift.

I feel like it's easier to go from O-lifting to other strength sports than the opposite. I have given up on aspirations of snatching; power snatching maybe but receiving overhead squat is a unicorn for me. Also, I really like the clean & jerk even if I can't get into a full squat for receiving the weight because I feel like it is the best way to get the most weight overhead.

Wasn't the winner of the first formal worlds strongest man competitions a weightlifter? I saw it on ESPN classics. I think the old time bodybuilders like Lou Ferrigno did very well also if I recall.

@Geoff Chafe You always have top notch video content.

I have not had cable for 5 years. It was too expensive, and we did not use it, so we upgraded our internet. Many top strongmen were Olympic Weightlifters. Weighlifting teaches pure human movement like all the Olympic sports.

I have given up on aspirations of snatching; power snatching maybe but receiving overhead squat is a unicorn for me.

Dude, if I can learn how to do it so can you. I have like zero athletic ability. I was always the last kid picked for a team in P.E. class. And I was once like you. I could power snatch just fine, but a full snatch seemed unattainable. But I figured it out. If anyone is interested I can do a long post, probably in a new thread, about what I've learned about the Olympic lifts. And I've probably made every mistake in the book, and probably some mistakes that no one thought were possible to make. But here's a short teaser:

Doing the full versions of the lifts is actually, in some ways, easier than I originally thought.

Bar path is king and a correct bar path is a prerequisite to being able to do the full lifts. One of the reasons I had trouble with the full snatch, and in some cases the full clean, was that the bar wasn't ending up where it needed to be. I could do the power versions because there is more room for error. In the power versions you're in a quarter squat at most so you can more easily adjust your legs or "take a walk with the bar" to save the lift. Much harder to recover a lift from a squat.

The way to tell if your bar path is correct is this: when you do a power version you should be able to immediately squat down with the bar. If you can't, or you need to make any adjustment, your bar path is wrong.

It takes work, especially for the snatch, and you may need to exercises and drills that are considered "beginner." This was my problem. My ego got in the way and I refused to do the exercises and drills to improve my stability in the bottom position of the snatch. Having back surgery was the best thing to happen to my snatch technique. Once cleared for lifting, I had to go slow. Also, the bad disc in my back had damaged a nerve leading to my leg which resulted in weakness. I was weak, my squat went to the toilet. So I figured I may as well do some "beginner" snatch drills. It was enlightening.

My advice: don't practice the power versions first. It will be very hard to switch to the full lifts you will always try to catch the bar high. Then you'd have to reduce the weight by a lot which is also no fun and even if you do it you'll still find yourself catching the weight high as there is no need to go low.

The Olympic lifts aren't that complicated. A few months of coaching and you will do them ok. No need to find your own path as many people have learned the lifts already.

The lifts itself are really fun as is competing. I have a hard to motivate myself for just strength training but doing the lifts brings a smile to my face. Probably the movement itself, the speed and to hold heavy weight overhead.

The depth of the receiving position is dictated by the height of the pull. As weight increases you need to receive the bar lower, and faster. If you "dive bomb" into the bottom, the weight crashes down causing failed lifts. Receive the bar.

Are you a "flipper" or a "gripper". In classic technique you release the hookgrip in the turnover and flip out the thumb. This allows for a faster turnover, push the bar apart(pull the bar apart is an incorrect external cue) overhead, and puts the weight on the heal of the not all on your poor little thumb and wrist. Flip not grip. This small detail can help your receiving position a lot.

A combo or complex of power snatch+OHS or power snatch+snatch balance is a better option. Paused olympic back squats are the best, and snatch balance variations, and press in snatch are good ways to build flexibility and strength in the receiving position. Also, pause in the receiving position before standing. Pause reps are always in technique driven programs. Pause in the start, pause above the knee, pause in the receiving position, pause at lock out. Most lifts are failed off the floor, so paused snatch liftoff+snatch is a favorite of mine, along with some lots of loaded bar ankle stretch.

Do powers. Depth will come with time, technique, and positional strength. Work on depth, it will come.

A great but tough technique program I have done after a layoff, and reccomend to beginners is:
Bigger Olympic Lifts With Chad Vaughn - Week 1/4

Last edited:
My advice: don't practice the power versions first. It will be very hard to switch to the full lifts you will always try to catch the bar high. Then you'd have to reduce the weight by a lot which is also no fun and even if you do it you'll still find yourself catching the weight high as there is no need to go low.

The Olympic lifts aren't that complicated. A few months of coaching and you will do them ok. No need to find your own path as many people have learned the lifts already.

The lifts itself are really fun as is competing. I have a hard to motivate myself for just strength training but doing the lifts brings a smile to my face. Probably the movement itself, the speed and to hold heavy weight overhead.

Agreed. Of course if you've already learned the power versions and want to learn the full lifts, you may have to take a step back. But the lifts are worth learning and even if you just end up doing the power versions even after learning the full lifts, the knowledge you acquire in the process will improve the power versions. My experience in trying to learn and study the Olympic lifts is that the journey is its own reward.

If you "dive bomb" into the bottom, the weight crashes down causing failed lifts.

"Dive bombing" is part of the problem, at least it was for me. I thought I had to actively switch directions and "dive" to the bottom. This resulted in a failure to "finish the pull." It's not a dive. Instead, you use your arms to pull against the bar and pull yourself under. The difference may be a bit subtle, but once I learned this cue it made a world of difference. First, I no longer have a problem finishing the pull. Second, it's made the lift easier. I no longer have to "think" about diving under. Now it's just extend the crap out of my hips as powerfully as I can, then use the arms to pull under. If the bar path is correct it will just move into the correct position in the squat. It almost becomes automatic. And remember, I was the last kid picked for teams, I have no athletic talent, and I'm far from a good Olympic lifter. If I can learn it, anyone can.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom