all posts post new thread

Barbell Barbell squat everyday experience?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I get near my max all the time and I haven't been squatting everyday for 2 weeks yet. I do have experience with pttp and the 40 day program so that could be key. The article that Mr. Chafe posted was dead on. One heavy squat single doesn't take that much out of you. I feel stronger after a heavy single that's very near my max. I know I'm stronger because the back off sets are easier than they were warming up. The back off sets are where you have to be careful. They fatigue you.

I don't know about this idea that over training is so hard to reach. I could easily do 5x5 for days in a row (with lighter and lighter weight probably, over train, and get weaker. I'm sure it's different for people who have been doing this for a long time. You adapt more and more.

As far as it not working forever, your supposed to keep increasing the volume as you get stronger. And even if it doesn't work forever, even 4 weeks is long enough for a solid program. Mike Malher wrote an e-book where almost every progam wasn' meant to be longer than 4- 6 weeks.

But it really is true that a garbage man or someone who loads trucks all day works 5 days a week and doesn't stay over trained. He get's over trained for the first week or 2 and then he adapts and gets stronger. I loaded trucks in college for UPS. You start with the boxes that go up to like 70# but they moved me to the heavy stuff and that's 5 days a week. Your basically dead lifting and you fail all the time.A max squat is nothing for 1 rep. It's not even dead weight. You'll be lifting heavy again the next day but best not to max again.

Last edited:
I suggest not getting too wrapped up in terminology - some people use "overtraining" is a very specific sense, while others use it more generically to mean they've done too much and need to back off before moving forward. As long as we know what we're talking about, it doesn't matter what one calls it, IMHO.

And, of course, we're all different, and the training load we can accept is going to be different based on our training background, our genetics, our stress levels, and other things.

-S-

I did a version of Squat Every day after listening to Cory Gregory talk about it and had some really interesting results. 90-95% of my squat variations were High Bar Squat so take this for what its worth if your focusing on Low Bar Variations. All of my lists went through the roof (O Lifts, Presses) and I got stronger then I had ever been at that point in time, except for my deadlift which went backwards. From best I can tell I had become so overly quad dominant I lost my form when deadlifting b/c my posterior chain wasn't firing as much. Some time later I took a nasty fall with a heavy Barbell Back Squat and decided to lay off of that a while and focus on some other qualities. At this point in time I have almost brought my deadlift back to where it was and interestingly enough I have retained my squat strength even during the layoff. Now when I squat I am doing a lot of Overhead Squats which I love and have noticed a lot of carry over to other things all without the detriment of too much neural fatigue due to heavy, heavy back squats. So short answer, don't knock something till you try it and if it works for you great and if not throw it into the scrap pile and learn from it. Just my 2 cents.

At least 450lbs on the bar every day: A Years Challenge Dedicated to Amanda Miller and Skin Cancer Awareness

Another nugget to consider is Dave Lipson's blog, title above, from 2011. Dave Lipson comes from the CF community. If you are not familiar with him then you may have heard of his wife, Camille Bazinet-Le Blanc.

Here is a link: 365 Days of Squatting

I did a version of Squat Every day after listening to Cory Gregory talk about it and had some really interesting results. 90-95% of my squat variations were High Bar Squat so take this for what its worth if your focusing on Low Bar Variations. All of my lists went through the roof (O Lifts, Presses) and I got stronger then I had ever been at that point in time, except for my deadlift which went backwards. From best I can tell I had become so overly quad dominant I lost my form when deadlifting b/c my posterior chain wasn't firing as much. Some time later I took a nasty fall with a heavy Barbell Back Squat and decided to lay off of that a while and focus on some other qualities. At this point in time I have almost brought my deadlift back to where it was and interestingly enough I have retained my squat strength even during the layoff. Now when I squat I am doing a lot of Overhead Squats which I love and have noticed a lot of carry over to other things all without the detriment of too much neural fatigue due to heavy, heavy back squats. So short answer, don't knock something till you try it and if it works for you great and if not throw it into the scrap pile and learn from it. Just my 2 cents.

Everyone must be different. I hit another squat Pr at 345# today and I hit a deadlift Pr at 445# yesterday. That's the 3rd time I hit a squat pr the day after deadlifting and the second time after a deadlift pr.

@Ny Wc, my experience, and I don't think it's unique, is that low-bar, powerlifter-style squatting has good carryover to the deadlift, but other squatting styles do not. The PL squat- vertical shins, sitting back - has been described (quite accurately, IMHO), by former MSFG Mark Reifkind as a "deadlift with a bar on your back."

-S-

If you want to squat more, squat more. If you want to deadlift more, deadlift more. I've done squat everyday before and what worked for me was 3 days front squat, 1 day back squat:
5@55%
3@65%
3@75%
1@85%
1@95%

Add 10# every couple weeks. The body likes homeostasis, if lifting heavy is the daily normal, the body will not only adapt, it will not regress as easily when you stop.

It was true, the days I felt tired were the days the lifts went easiest. The days that I felt good, my legs would sometimes cramp up on the early sets. What I liked the most was that 90+% wasn't "scarry" and I was able sit in the hole and still be able to push out. It really helped with confidence pushing when it gets heavy.

Then I would work up to a single heavy deadlift 1-2x week after squating.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom