all posts post new thread

Barbell Barbell strength aerobics

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Mark Limbaga

Level 8 Valued Member
Elite Certified Instructor
Thinking of ideas how to implement the method..

Some ideas

Use 60% of your 1rm

Deadlift, military press

Squat (zercher or front) military press

Hello,

@Mark Limbaga
What about some kind of "alternate EMOM"
- Minute 1: Deadlift
- Minute 2: Squat + Press

When I use EMOM, I find most benefits using weights which make me work during about 15 minutes. This is often a strategy I use when I want to get both strength and conditioning in a very short amount of time.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

@Mark Limbaga
What about some kind of "alternate EMOM"
- Minute 1: Deadlift
- Minute 2: Squat + Press

When I use EMOM, I find most benefits using weights which make me work during about 15 minutes. This is often a strategy I use when I want to get both strength and conditioning in a very short amount of time.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I was thinking something in that line as well

Hello,

Another strategy I sometime use is the density training, 3 times a week.

If we consider the 3 moves you listed (DL, Press, SQ), and if we keep the 15 minutes frame for the sake of the example, I would do something as follows:
- 5 minutes of DL
- 5 minutes of Press
- 5 minutes of SQ

Squats may also be performed first. Indeed, that way you can get some relative rest for your leg. That way DL is not detrimental for the SQ (or the reverse).

As you progress, you can either:
- use heavier weight in the same time frame
- counting your previous number of repetitions, but performing it in less time.

The idea is to do as much repetition as we can during the time frame. We can rest as much as we need. Form has to be food because this is always tempting to sacrifice it to hit a few reps more.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Or a complex from Geoff Neupert's Rutgers files: 4x (5 clean, 5 press, 5 squat, 5 push press, 5 row, with a light-ish weight) with rest in between each round.

Why not simply go with the same movements that are used for the KB in the article?
There's a certain flow to the combination of Clean - Press variation - Squat variation that you simply don't have with combinations of DL-Press, DL-FSQ, starting with FSQ (presumably out of the rack) or going 5 minutes of exercise 1 followed by 5 minutes of exercise 2 and so on (besides you needed to have multiple bars or switch weights inbetween...).

Power Clean -> Press variation -> Squat variation
Just use an easy enough weight -> 60-70% of 1RM (= 10-15RM) of your Press variation and then go 1 set every 0:30 for as long as you like. Maybe on some days go heavier (70-80% of 1RM) and use EMOM.

Note that I wrote "Press variation" and "Squat variation", because it doesn't necessarily have to be a strict Press or Frontsquat. Push Press and Backsquat work just as fine if you do them in the right order or want to go heavier, because a Push Press doesn't limit the weight as much as a strict Press would do and if you press before the Squat you can just lower it behind your head instead of the front.
Just look up "Barbell Bear Complex" which is Power Clean -> FSQ -> Push Press -> Backsquat -> Push Press. If you like to you can do all 5 exercises in a continous flow-like movement.

15-20 Minute EMOM Bear Complex with 65-70% of Push Press 1RM is what I personally would do for "Barbell Strength Aerobics"

EDIT: @vegpedlr beat me to it while I was typing :p

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom