all posts post new thread

Barbell Barbell TGU/Bent Press Asymmetry. Dangerous?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Football Bat

Level 2 Valued Member
Question:

Under the assumption that I don't mind looking like a lobster, is it a big deal if one side gets significantly stronger than the other?

For example. If my right hand TGU is 150 pounds (just an example, not there yet! ;) ) while my left side TGU is lagging behind at 125 pounds am I setting myself up for an injury?

Hmmm. He mentions that it would be beneficial for the health of his neck and spine to equalize his pressing strength between his right and left arms, but he doesn't expand on that at all. Is there any more information on the negative effects of a large imbalance?

I'm guessing the old time strongmen would favor one side for performances, is there any information on how they dealt with imbalance?

I have not watched the video clip, but IMO, it's good to strive for balance, also good not to make yourself crazy trying to achieve it.

-S-

Usually asymmetry within 10% is acceptable as far as injury risk goes. So in your example, that is about a 17% difference a focus could be spent on balancing it out. We are asymmetric by nature so as @stevefreides says, don’t make yourself crazy

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom