all posts post new thread

Recommendations/Reviews/FS/WTB Barbells with non-rotating sleeves and other 'old school' gear

Products recommendations and reviews, items For Sale or Wanted To Buy
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Chrisdavisjr

Level 7 Valued Member
I've noticed with the current lockdown situation in the UK and the lack of availability of exercise equipment for sale that a number of sellers on eBay and other outlets have started selling locally-manufactured barbells etc. albeit with very rudimentary construction (presumably to keep costs down).

I've seen weight discs of flat milled steel (must be a nightmare to pick up from a flat floor) and oly-sized barbells with welded-on sleeves. I'm wondering if 'niceties' such rotating sleeves make that much of a difference to people doing squats, bench press and deadlifts (I wouldn't dream of using them for the Olympic lifts).

Some of the equipment on sale is kind of pleasingly old-school (read: 'rough and ready') and might appeal to old-time strength enthusiasts. Has anyone been tempted by some of this type of kit?

I'm wondering if 'niceties' such rotating sleeves make that much of a difference to people doing squats, bench press and deadlifts (I wouldn't dream of using them for the Olympic lifts).
I have a thick bar that’s basically a two-inch length of pipe with collars welded on. I confess to never having thought about the fact that it doesn’t have rotating sleeves. I deadlift with it. So I’ll guess you’re right that, for powerlifting, most of us could get by alright without those niceties.

-S-

I've been teaching myself to weld....

This gives me an idea ?

There's a video by Mark Rippetoe about his dumbbells and how they are freely rotating in the hand to allow the wrist to not be compromised in exercise. While I think deadlifting with a very fixed bar should be OK, I agree I wouldn't try to do any olympic lifts or curls using a fixed bar. I can visualise it could make squats a little bit harder, but I could very well be wrong too.

The old fashioned York style "exercise bar" that takes 1 inch plates is pretty old school but it does work.

I've still got one of those, cement-filled discs and all! I've been using it periodically for cleans and presses: You have to actually release and re-grip the bar at the turnover phase in the clean but it's not that hard to learn and, even when loaded collar-to-collar the weight is only about 45kg/100lbs.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom