all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Basic Fundamental=TGU

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Patrik Novák

Level 3 Valued Member
I greet all the good people here on the forum.
I have already written with many in person and thank you for all the valuable advice.

After a long time I started to reclassify gold TGU K to my Snatches weekly dose usually 3x a week A + A format with 32kg or 40kg according to feeling and around 100-150reps

in ,, off "days - I never have such days for me that because like Brian Mackemzie said we are designed to move every day so in my off days I do crawling / rucking / walking and I started with TGU again. ..

just for the sake of interest,what do you see the advantages of regular TGU in training?
I feel mobility in the top position snatch and better activation"core"

thankyou very much

Hello,

TGU train a lot of things
- shoulder strength, mobility and stability
- overall stability and multidimensional core
- coordination
- some mobility
- overall balance (having a bell OVH makes centre of mass higher so this is harder to control)
- train the focus because the move lasts long

Kind regards,

Pet'

Patrik, you said it yourself, we have to move if we are humans. The TGU has more movement in it than any other lift. Comparing it with the military press, the military press is better for making one's torso leaner and having harder arm muscles, but the TGU is for training to bear weight in every conceivable position for the human body. It is the best preparation for "anything" in the weight lifting world that there is.

I greet all the good people here on the forum.
I have already written with many in person and thank you for all the valuable advice.

After a long time I started to reclassify gold TGU K to my Snatches weekly dose usually 3x a week A + A format with 32kg or 40kg according to feeling and around 100-150reps

in ,, off "days - I never have such days for me that because like Brian Mackemzie said we are designed to move every day so in my off days I do crawling / rucking / walking and I started with TGU again. ..

just for the sake of interest,what do you see the advantages of regular TGU in training?
I feel mobility in the top position snatch and better activation"core"

thankyou very much

I get the best results from doing a lot of TGUs for a 5-10 week period, and then not doing them at all for another 5-10 weeks.

Why?

They're a great "polishing exercise" for other strength work, fix a lot of imbalances, build up the stabilizers, and help you better coordinate and utilize strength you already have but......paradoxically.....are only mediocre for actually building strength in the prime movers.

So during a barbell vacation, I'll KB clean, press, squat, and swing for a while to build strength 5-10 weeks.....and then dial those back to focus on TGUs to link it all together for another 5-10 weeks...then rinse and repeat until barbell season starts.

Last edited:
I get the best results from doing a lot of TGUs for a 5-10 week period, and then not doing them at all for another 5-10 weeks.

Why?

They're a great "polishing exercise" for other strength work, fix a lot of imbalances, build up the stabilizers, and help you better coordinate and utilize strength you already have but......paradoxically.....are only mediocre for actually building strength in the prime movers.

So during a barbell vacation, I'll KB clean, press, squat, and swing for a while to build strength 5-10 weeks.....and then dial those back to focus on TGUs to link it all together for another 5-10 weeks...then rinse and repeat until barbell season starts.
The TGU can take on more meaning for people involved in complicated strength applications like judo or BJJ, maybe other sports too(?).

I look at tgu as a ”swiss army knife of exercises” (a quote from someone else). I play golf and billiards, two sports/games where you put your body in weird one sided positions repeatedly. Dedication and focus on tgu has made my whole body much more balanced. Although I dont know how much is to thank for goblet squats and swings, but I think tgu has played the biggest role in this one.

Hello,

@Kozushi & @Patrik Novák
What you both saying guys makes me think about this article: How to Get Better at Everything by Training Multiple Get-Ups | StrongFirst

I think the GU is beneficial for all sport, at least to a certain extent. Of course, what is specific and / or optimal for a sport, can be general / "just nice supplement" for another sport. For example, this is wonderful for BJJ, judo, wrestling. In this case, this could be considered specific. However, if your sport is cycling, this is just a "nice to have".

IMHO, GU is one of the few moves which has "a little bit of everything" in it. It is one of the best strength baseline one can practice. If low intensity steady state is a baseline for cardio vascular training, TGU could be the baseline for kb grind.

It is difficult to find something as "well rounded" without doing a complex, such as ABC.

Kind regards,

Pet'

My Ulnar nerve flips out of its groove at the elbow when doing bent arm exercises. For me, hangs and TGUs are great ways to build pressing/pulling strength without aggravating my elbow issue.

@Patrik Novák - I like get ups (and bent presses) as I have seen them do a good job on me on restoring healthy (non-pain causing) movement in my shoulder (multiple shoulder injuries, more dislocations than I can count). I find great benefit in daily or near daily moving my shoulder through those ranges of motion to restore healthy movement patterns and to counteract the effects of too much desk work. A lot of this seems to me to come from improving mobility in my thoracic region, restoring stability in my scapulothoracic articulation, and learning how to move the shoulder in a full range of motion.

So for me the advantage is I get a healthy pain free shoulder, which has allowed me to focus on pressing far more and far longer than I've ever been able to with no pain.

For there is no God but Swings, and TGU's are His Prophet(Gains be upon Him)?
All hail Odin??‍♂️? and Thor??⛈️! Odin is the swings and Thor the TGUs. Good way to put it.
Military presses build bigger upper body muscles ?and a leaner torso though than the TGU. The TGU is more practical though for real world applications (other than stacking shelves, haha!) The TGU puts strength first, the press appearance first.

Last edited:
Yeah I feel so...

Espacially my snatching technique is stronger and my shoulders Are more stabile in final position.

And Also Iam see some dramatic change in my body (upper body hypertrophie)
,,V" but I dont know thankfully TGU or Snatching heawier Bell

Yeah I feel so...

Espacially my snatching technique is stronger and my shoulders Are more stabile in final position.

And Also Iam see some dramatic change in my body (upper body hypertrophie)
,,V" but I dont know thankfully TGU or Snatching heawier Bell
The leaner appearance and bigger muscles are from the snatches. TGUs build up the little connecting muscles, not the big showy ones. Ironically, it's the little ones that make you stronger for real life. That's why I think a lot of athletes are not "big".

The TGU can take on more meaning for people involved in complicated strength applications like judo or BJJ, maybe other sports too(?).

Well, I think a barbell clean & jerk and snatch are pretty complicated strength applications, too. :)

But, yes, I think fighters have very different TGU priorities from barbell strength athletes like weightlifters and powerlifters.

At the end of the day, for my sport, I have to lift more weight on the bar and practice the competition lifts with the bar.

For a barbell athlete, that barbell-specific ability will always be most important.

Well, I think a barbell clean & jerk and snatch are pretty complicated strength applications, too. :)

But, yes, I think fighters have very different TGU priorities from barbell strength athletes like weightlifters and powerlifters.

At the end of the day, for my sport, I have to lift more weight on the bar and practice the competition lifts with the bar.

For a barbell athlete, that barbell-specific ability will always be most important.
I'd think the barbell would make people a lot stronger than the TGU.The barbell athletes I train with are the strongest people in the sport. However, the length of limbs seems to count as much as strength, which is kind of weird. I know people who are much heavier lifters than me, but they are significantly shorter, and my leverage advantage does wonders for me. And of course, technique and experience rule the day at the end of it all, above and beyond strength and limb leverage.
One of the pro judoka (twice world cup champion) who trained us and trained with us was going to beat us all anyhow because he's a pro and he's amazing, but something remarked on by one of our coaches is that his thigh bones are unnaturally/unusually long for his size (which is not short to begin with!) The extra-long thighs are going to add a heck of a lot of leverage strength to the equation. I also have longish legs compared to the average, although a bit smaller torso, which has both advantages and drawbacks, for sports and for kettlebelling.

Last edited:
All hail Odin??‍♂️? and Thor??⛈️! Odin is the swings and Thor the TGUs. Good way to put it.
Military presses build bigger upper body muscles ?and a leaner torso though than the TGU. The TGU is more practical though for real world applications (other than stacking shelves, haha!) The TGU puts strength first, the press appearance first.
So I'll be getting the best of both realms. Due to low ceilings I tgu to half kneeling, lower the bell to rack, stand up, lunge back to half kneeling press the bell up, and finish the get down.

I stack shelves for a living. Maybe I should start doing Military Press instead of TGU. ;)

So I'll be getting the best of both realms. Due to low ceilings I tgu to half kneeling, lower the bell to rack, stand up, lunge back to half kneeling press the bell up, and finish the get down.
Yes, adding a press into the TGU is a recognmized "add-on" to the move.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom