all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Basic Program Adjustment

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Nikolaus

Level 1 Valued Member
Hello StrongFirst Community !
Short introduction: I started kettlebelling last year and reached Simple last week. I am quite happy with that but I am also happy that I can continue with something different aswell. After internalizing Dan Johns phrase “Sitting on a whale, fishing for minnows”, I decided to return to Mark Wildman's basic program which got me started (i guess he gets mentioned here and there in this forum). The program is structured as following:

Monday: Swing, TUG​
Tuesday: Squat, Clean & Press​
Wednesday: Rest​
Thursday: Swing, TUG​
Friday: Squat, Clean & Press​
Saturday: Rest​
Sunday: Rest​
Here is my actual request:
  1. I want to swap TUG with another exercise (harder to progress within my limited training time). I guess TUG would apply the most as a pressing exercise, therefore I thought of Push-Ups as a substitute (not a fan of gymball-kettlebell bench press). On the other hand, the program lacks a bit of pulling (I believe). Should I swap the TUG with Push-Ups or Pull-Ups ?​
  2. I want to implement Farmers Walk into my training. On which day should I put it ? Or could I do it even on every training day ? I imagine that it would be a great warm-up exercise to activate the whole body.​
Thank you !
-Nikolaus

1. I want to implement Farmers Walk into my training. On which day should I put it ? Or could I do it even on every training day ? I imagine that it would be a great warm-up exercise to activate the whole body.​
Thank you !
-Nikolaus

I've seen lots of discussion around alternating TGUs and carries (farmer, waiter, suitcase), either by week or every other workout.

A lot, though, depends on how heavy / long you're doing the carries.

"I've seen lots of discussion around alternating TGUs and carries (farmer, waiter, suitcase), either by week or every other workout.
A lot, though, depends on how heavy / long you're doing the carries."

Coincidentally, just been reading about S Bacarri's early PM for boxers another site and this was as follows:
Swings 2 days per week 6-15 mins (with 1 minute active rests skipping\jogging) followed by 3 minutes of overhead carries, 30 second swaps. A 3rd day of swings & overhead carries can be added but no more.
On different 2 days continuous TGUs for no more than 5 minutes, use time, don't count reps. Bacarri also mentions the use later on of GTG TGU to minimise\manage fatigue of the hard working boxers.

The above is a summary of the evolution of Bacarri's own program at that time as designed for professional or dedicated boxers and so is done within the context of all the other skills and other training ie sparring, heavy bag, skills drills, a couple of slow runs weekly (or long walks if injured), joint mobility in the morning, some miscellaneous training (neck, grip, other?) and so on.

@Nikolaus, welcome to the StrongFirst forum.

Your programming seems reasonable. Try it and let us know how it works out for you.

-S-
Probably not the answer that is satisfactory, but maybe it still has some added value for someone: The program turned out to be too time-consuming for me, which meant that I hardly followed it any more. So I went back to doing S&S before going to work, which serves its purpose: I feel sufficiently strong and happier than starting the day without training at all.

Nevertheless, thanks again for your answers and I hope to implement your suggestions in the future.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom