all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Baths - hot or cold?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Chrisdavisjr

Level 7 Valued Member
A number of old-school physical culturists used to swear by cold baths. Does anyone here experience any particular benefits from either hot or cold baths before or after training?

Gone down the cold shower route recently, far too much of a wimp for the cold bath option. I like hot baths with smelly soft stuff and soaking until I osmotically dissolve and I become one with the water, candles, music and a glass of red. Bliss. No one is taking that away from me, I'm not planning on having anymore kids.

Recently did an ice bath at a Wif Hof workshop and have been doing contrast showers since.

Like taking vitamins, I can't say I can identify specific benefits (outside of mental fortitude), but anecdotally I haven't been sick or suffered low energy.

I've been doing the Hof stuff as well. Interestingly enough, I find a 10 minute ice bath easier than a 10 min cold shower.

I think that both have their place. Best would be to alternate between the two.

I do not have a bath tub at home but I do, naturally, have a sauna. I find that it is great for recovery.

I have always preferred cold showers. I really don't like hot water over me.

Hello,

@Chrisdavisjr
Here is the Wim Hof thread link. There is very good information here: Wim Hof

I used to do cold bath only. I recently switch to contrast shower with pretty good results too. To a certain extent, it teaches to your body how to manage wide range of temperatures. I also get a good energy boost from that.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I've been doing the Hof stuff as well. Interestingly enough, I find a 10 minute ice bath easier than a 10 min cold shower.

Probably because during an ice bath more surface area of your body is submerged, so your body can calibrate against a near constant temperature. Also, your body heat probably marginally warms up the water around you.

Hello,

@Wesker11
@Questionfear 's explanation is perfect ! I would also add that in a shower, there is a relative movement (movement of the water on your skin). This fluid movement makes you feel it even colder. In a bath, water does not move. This is the same thing that being outisde with wind or not. If there is no wind, -10° C is cold, but not that cold. But - 10°C with wind seems colder (here is a link about air: Wind chill - Wikipedia)

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom