all posts post new thread

Barbell BB Getup

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Jeff Roark

Level 7 Valued Member
Hit 100lbs left and right on the barbell getup last night. Not easy. I can do getups with the 40kg bell like its nothing in comparison to the barbell at the same weight. I'm going to try and work my way up to 135lbs over the next year on this lift. No rush though and I'll just let it happen when it happens.

what seems harder about it?

balance and the torque of the bar. I found it really slows down the movement. There were spots I didn't know if I was ready to move or not. Best way to find out is just to get under the bar. Eye opener for me. Now the old time strongmen telling the students to work up to 100lbs and come back to them make sense to me.

managed to hit 100lbs for 3 singles on each arm Wednesday. Watched a video of Levi M. doing a getup with 206lbs and I noticed a few things with his form that would help me a bit. I'll be trying it out tomorrow.

Respect for 100lb BB Get Up @Jeff Roark!

I can do the Beast Get Up quite confidently, but 40kg barbell was a real challenge. Balance and rolling is making it much harder than kettlebell or even dumbbell version.

Respect for 100lb BB Get Up @Jeff Roark!

I can do the Beast Get Up quite confidently, but 40kg barbell was a real challenge. Balance and rolling is making it much harder than kettlebell or even dumbbell version.

Agree Sir. In comparison, I can basically jump up with the 40kg KB in comparison with to the barbell with the same weight. As for KB's, I'd say they are definitely the safer option, but I don't always prefer safer.

I'f I can a few little technical details ironed out, I think I'll be good for 135lbs within the next year or so, maybe sooner.

I'm intrigued with the BB get-up myself. I've been doing get-ups for 5 years now and I just tried my first one with the barbell (empty 45 lb bar) last week. Challenging in a new way! I want to try more with this. My heaviest kettlebell get-up is 36kg, so I should be able to work up to 80 lbs or so.

@Jeff Roark Keep us posted on your progress!

I'm intrigued with the BB get-up myself. I've been doing get-ups for 5 years now and I just tried my first one with the barbell (empty 45 lb bar) last week. Challenging in a new way! I want to try more with this. My heaviest kettlebell get-up is 36kg, so I should be able to work up to 80 lbs or so.

@Jeff Roark Keep us posted on your progress!
Did you find that you had to move a bit slower and be much more calculated in your movements?

Did you find that you had to move a bit slower and be much more calculated in your movements?

Yes, I did. And I liked that about it.

Getting the bar balanced on the hand is a big part of it. I have a big advantage having large hands.

awesome. I hit 3 singles on each arm tonight with 100lbs. Its going to be a bit before I am ready to move up in weight for sure. The roll to the elbow is the hardest part for me with the barbell. If I can manage that cleanly the rest of the lift seems to go smooth as silk. Controlling the rotation of the bar is really tough too.

Luckily I am like you, I have huge hands and wrists for someone of my stature.

Anna Cannington on Instagram: “Easy play today for recovery. Bringing the barbell and kettlebell worlds together with some barbell get-ups. These could be addicting...”

Just the 45 lb bar there, but wow it sure lights up the little stabilizing muscles in the shoulder! It's like an arm bar in every plane.

I played around with just the 45lbs bar yesterday. I just needed a break from the heavy stuff. I also added a bent press with the bar at that top of each getup. Just like the getup, the bent press is totally different as far as feel than the KB. I wanted to bent press my Kbs so bad, but I want to learn this BB Bent Press again. I think I may have done up to around 120-125lbs on it back in the late 90s.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom