all posts post new thread

Nutrition bbc, trust me I'm a doctor

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

ali

Level 7 Valued Member
Here is a link to a recent bbc documentary with some stuff that will be of interest to some, esp some recent threads on protein shakes:

Trust Me, I'm a Doctor - BBC Two

I know the beeb have banned non uk peeps, at least I think they have, from watching their telly programmes paid for the great british public, so you maybe prevented from watching the actual programme. And if you do find a way, please consider you may actually get shot by the actual Queen. On the page though are the readable various experiments with their findings and if the powers that be prevent you from doing so, then the upshot: protein shakes don't work, the anti-oxidant effect of health drinks aka juices/smoothies or whatever is BS and sports drinks are expensive sugary watery things (shock). So whey or bcaa? Answer: beef. Juices or smoothies? Answer: an apple. Gatorade v Lucozade? Answer: water from tap, added sugar, pinch of salt, diluting juice in a bottle, homemade for pennies...that is should you want to. I know, I know, not exactly cutting edge HBO primetime drama but thought it maybe of interest to watch with a nice cup of tea (with almond milk) and a (gluten free, sugar free, vegan, nut free, fat free) biscuit. Good evening.

I just want to be careful with studies reporting on the increases in "knee strength" of subjects...

But the idea that natural food could surprisingly be better for you than industrial creations, I'm with that.

I just want to be careful with studies reporting on the increases in "knee strength" of subjects...

But the idea that natural food could surprisingly be better for you than industrial creations, I'm with that.
Good point "knee" strength?

I thought the meta analysis link Protein supplementation augments the adaptive response of skeletal muscle to resistance-type exercise training: a meta-analysis given on the right of the page was interesting -it claims supplementation affects lean mass gains and strength gains but no influence on fat loss.

It contradicts the finding of the BBC research which, as Ali reports says there is zero point in protein shakes - not sure what is scientifically better large meta-analysis or small prospective study?

There is clearly contradictory evidence out there.

Happily, what all studies agree on is that resistance training makes you stronger :).

My opinion on that: How grandpa and grandma nourished themselves....was, and for me is not that bad. They raised their cattle and crops. You do not get this out of a supermarket, even if there is the label of 'organic' on it. Traditionally they got their protein, fat, carbs with every meal. breakfast. lunch. dinner. That was not that bad, I just think so. A good rule of thumb. Pre mass media era. And with all that supplements. Be it. whey. zinc. casein. creatin. fish oil. magnesium. vitamin c. dmae. cfjs. djk. vfl. fc bayern münchen. I took them, some of them not, get more and more rid of them. Because there is no supplement for skill. For skill, you have to spend some time. Some attention. This can not be bought and therefore it is not advertised.

In my experience, whey protein is good stuff. It works well, it's convenient and affordable. Nothing not to like for me.

As for the study in the link, I am not convinced by the results or their methods. Whey protein has been about studied to death. The majority of the research supports the benefits.

There is even a certain pharmaceutical whey protein listed in the Physician's desk reference, called immunocal (which has been vigorously studied). This whey, however, has not undergone the same processing as the kind of whey you find at walmart and therefore has great medicinal benefit in the right circumstances (it does wonders for chronic fatigue syndrome). In general, generic whey supplies all essential amino acids and therefore is a great supplemental protein source on the fly, though due to its processing it lacks the vitamins, minerals, fatty acids and cofactors that make eating things like meat and eggs beneficial and likely superior, IMHO.

Last edited:
Whey has been known to be healthy as far as we have literary sources in western civilization. It is by no means something new. Whey in powder form, as used as a supplement in modern times, is of course a bit more recent innovation, but it does not mean it is somehow worse.

Guys also used to drink a gallon of milk a day to build muscle. No thanks, I'll take some whey :)

How is this for a blend?:

87% water, 8g protein, 13g carb, 8g fat ( or less, or none). per 250ml
290g calcium & 107g sodium.
breakdown of protein:
casein, whey, bcaas: leucine, isoleucine, valine.
+ bonus nutrients: biotin, magnesium, vitamin A, vitamin b-12, vitamin D, vitamin K, riboflavin.

coming to your high street soon!

Reactions: krg
Folks, I think the science is pretty clear, at least it is so me - we can create an environment for muscle growth by supplying, among many other things like proper exercise and proper rest, a proper supply of protein. Whether or not that requires a protein supplement beyond regular food has got to be highly individual, and depend on how much muscle growth a person is trying to achieve, and what their regular diet without supplementation looks like.

Take it if you like, don't if you don't, and if you're trying to get bigger, I think it's fair to say that the worst you'll do is be buying yourself a little hypertrophy insurance and peace of mind while knowing that it's possible you're wasting some of your money.

JMO.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom