all posts post new thread

Nutrition BCAA recommendations?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
MyProtein is where I got mine, they rated pretty well on labdoor when I looked, but it's been awhile

What do you want to use it for, i.e. under which circumstances?
In most cases, you (or rather your wallet) would be better off without it.

What do you want to use it for, i.e. under which circumstances?
In most cases, you (or rather your wallet) would be better off without it.
True, I just do Leucine if anything, usually nothing

Muscle Pharm 3:1:2 before hard training sessions or if unable to recover from normal training.

Thanks all.

This would be used when training early in the morning and don’t want to have food first.

Still, I don't consider it useful or worth the money. If you are training early in the morning then there is even less time between your last meal and your training session.
Just train fasted and save the money, just my two cents.

Thanks all.

This would be used when training early in the morning and don’t want to have food first.
Hey all, you might interested to know that the whole concept of using BCAAs while fasted to prevent muscle catobolism has been busted. A leading researcher (Rob Wolfe) did a massive review and showed the net protein synthesis from BCAAs is NEGATIVE in the absence of all other EAAs. In other words, taking only 3 essential amino acids (the BCAAs) causes the other 6 eaas to be pulled from EXISTING MUSCLE to form the new protein (BECAUSE ALL ESSENTIAL AMINO ACIDS ARE NECESSARY FOR MUscle growth- not just 3). Therefore it’s like taking 1 step forward 2 steps back, bc existing muscle is catabolized to form the new muscle. Conclusion, EAA supplements are superior. I’d be happy to address any questions on this. Crazy what marketing can do.
Cheers,
Chett

Is it only BCAAs when taken solely when fasted or at all even with additional protein and EAAs? How do they behave with post-training meals?

My own experience (ie just me and in no way double blind placebo controlled) is that a few supplements actually perform as claimed - BCAAs post workout, Creatine daily and high volume Fish Oil have certainly appeared to deliver for me. I have rheumatoid arthritis and even more so the Dr Mercola stack of krill oil, astaxanthan and curcumin I swear by. But it's all just my experience

Is it only BCAAs when taken solely when fasted or at all even with additional protein and EAAs? How do they behave with post-training meals?

It’s only when BCAAs are taken ALONE, because that provides only 3 amino acids and this is when the other amino acids will be pulled from muscle.

The problem doesn’t exist if you consume the BCAA alongside whey protein or meat bc they provide the other amino acids.

But of course then the question is do you even need the BCAAs? Maybe /maybe not

I personally notice a nice boost in mental energy and focus (towards the end of a workout) when using EAAs, compared to BCAAs.

I would speculate it's because more precursors for neurotransmitters are getting to the brain, like L-phenylalanine. The precursor for dopamine which has been shown to be depleted during longer training sessions and this contributes to perceived fatigue.

That's true but people need to remember that the bioavailability of protein sources differ, meaning even if you are technically "hitting your numbers" the amount of amino acids actually going towards muscle growth and repair could still be deficient.

That's true but people need to remember that the bioavailability of protein sources differ, meaning even if you are technically "hitting your numbers" the amount of amino acids actually going towards muscle growth and repair could still be deficient.

Even still I wouldn't use BCAA. I'd use whey protein powder. Cheaper and more versatile.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom