all posts post new thread

Barbell Bear Questions/Modifications

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

88NKB

Level 5 Valued Member
I've been running a variant of the Russian Bear routine for the past seven weeks. The two lifts I'm using are dumbbell bench press and conventional double-overhand barbell deadlift.

Dumbbell BP is performed 2x week with a deadlift session in between. So far, I've used sets progression with no regular cycling. By that I mean the top set weights do not change until I can complete ten backoff sets. For dumbbell bp, I stuck with 75s for the top sets and 60s then 65s for the backoffs. Backoffs progressed from 60x7x5 to 65x10x5 over the last month. Deadlifts started with 275x5,3,2 / 225x10x5 and progressed to 295x5,2 / 255x5x5. Rest between the top sets is 2-4 minutes with 1 minute between backoffs.

I've seen this bench/deadlift/bench plan recommended on this forum in other threads. Seeing as the Bear is a variant of PTTP, how would you cycle the weights with such low frequency with this plan? I've contemplated ways to incorporate a heavy-light-medium scheme into the Bear, whereby I would perform both exercises together 3x / week. Does anybody have any experience with this? Would reps on the top sets fluctuate, or would the weights themselves fluctuate? Would switching to snatch grip deadlifts be more conducive to high volume/ high frequency?

The Bear has been a lot of fun and I'm enjoying the simplicity. I'm just not sure if the way I've been doing it is the most beneficial, as I'd like a bit more frequency/practice for the deadlift especially.

I would say the same thing that I said in your blog. Run the Modified DeLorme. It utilizes the heavy/light medium principle you wish to follow. Snatch Grip Deadlift is the exercise I used during the DeLorme as It extends the range of motion and puts more work on the entire back area. However, with high volume, grip does become a limiting factor for some.

I would say the same thing that I said in your blog. Run the Modified DeLorme. It utilizes the heavy/light medium principle you wish to follow. Snatch Grip Deadlift is the exercise I used during the DeLorme as It extends the range of motion and puts more work on the entire back area. However, with high volume, grip does become a limiting factor for some.

Thanks Philippe, I saw your response earlier in my training log and it certainly seems like Delorme is the way to go. The progression and structure are more clear-cut to me than the Bear, in addition to variables such as frequency and cycling etc.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom