all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Bear wrestling

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Apologies for a bad joke, in no way I meant to take the threats to both humans and bears lightly!
I did not take offense, nor imply you were taking it lightly. I was just agreeing with Geoffs commentary. I had seen that sign before, and it is funny, but kind of true at the same time.
Like Geoff, I have spent a lot of time in the same Grizzly country he mentions, and have had several benign encounters over the years. I also have a close friend and Climbing partner who is a wildlife field biologist in Alberta who has first hand experience from the bears side of the story. I also had a close family friend who survived a grizzly encounter badly mauled. He was lucky, another member of his group died in the event.

How we ever got onto wildlife management...on a strength form...?:)

Grizzlies are definitely a symbol of strength.

@offwidth Have you spent time in the Canmore area? I have dabbled in climbing with some of my more nimble friends, but I am a typical fat Olympic Weightlifter, and I do not have a frame suited to climbing. It's quite fun and challenging though.

I ice climbed in Field, BC a few times with friends. I enjoyed Ice Climbing more, and one place in particular we Nordic Skied into. That was one of my more memorable days in the Mountains. They say it's a great place for novice and advanced climbers and is not as busy as many other more well known locations. Field, like Lake Louise, also has a very long snow season because of its location.

Last edited:
Grizzlies are definitely a symbol of strength.

@offwidth Have you spent time in the Canmore area? I have dabbled in climbing with some of my more nimble friends, but I am a typical fat Olympic Weightlifter, and I do not have a frame suited to climbing. It's quite fun and challenging though.

I ice climbed in Field Alberta a few times with friends. I enjoyed Ice Climbing more, and one place in particular we Nordic Skied into. That was one of my more memorable days in the Mountains. They say it's a great place for novice and advanced climbers and is not as busy as many other more well known locations. Field, like Lake Louise, also has a very long snow season because of its location.
Geoff...
I have been to Canmore many times over the years, but never climbed there or at Yamnuska. But I have climbed a fair bit in Banff, Lake Louise, The Columbia Ice Fields, and around Jasper. Also further west in the Rogers Pass area.
Ice climbing is a lot of fun too. You live pretty close to some of the best ice climbing on the planet.
At one time an average Joe could consider being able to buy a place in Canmore. These days... not so much. I walked into a real estate office there last summer... holy smokes! I was pretty shocked at prices in Revelstoke and Golden as well.

Do you know how to tell a black bear from a grizzly bear? When you see one, go buy the most expensive pair of boots you can afford, put them on, walk up to the bear, and kick it in the face as hard as you can. Then run up the nearest tree.

If the bear is a black bear, it will climb up the tree to get to you. If it's a grizzly bear, it will tear down the tree to get to you...

(old joke)

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom