all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Beards. Glorious Beards

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

wespom9

Level 6 Valued Member
For the first time, I am letting my beard grow to see its natural capacities. I always walk around with beard, ever since high school, but its always been clean, cut relatively short (4-5mm for those who have a trimmer). I'm currently at about 2.5 weeks from clean shaven. Nothing like seeing someone have their beard game on point.

Anyone here a beard lover/grower/aficionado? Recommend me any oils to keep it nice?

I have been growing mine since last November. No trimming. Just brush it once or twice a day. Beards rock and kick a#@. Give er buddy and join us beardos lol

@natewhite39 thanks for the tip! there's a bunch of beard sites out there but this one looks good!

@HUNTER1313 That is amazing. I don't think I could do the to trimming - once I get going for about a month and a half to two months I'm likely going to get to a barber shop to get it shaped. Not sure how long yet I'm going to let it go. You gotta be at least half a foot by now!

About eight inches lol. I put in some beard oil and stuff once in awhile when I remember.

Good on you, man! I don't know if I'll let mine get that far, but enjoying the process so far.

My girlfriend just got me some beard oil to try and my lord, does it make it feel so much better. I think this is going to be a staple moving forward haha.

Beards make guys look like they know their stuff. They just bring a certain dignity to things. I personally prefer to shave, and to shave my head too, however.

I think it's funny when random strangers compliment me on my beard. Or when older guys say it looks nice when the younger generation has one. Mind you, I'm on my way to turning forty despite people thinking I'm late twenties.

My girlfriend just got me some beard oil to try and my lord, does it make it feel so much better. I think this is going to be a staple moving forward haha.

Please explain... the longest I've ever let mine go is a couple months and I think the longest its gotten is maybe an inch... seems like I can grown a quick short scruff in a week but then growth seems to almost slow to a halt.

I've also wanted to let mine grow for a couple years.

I think it's funny when random strangers compliment me on my beard. Or when older guys say it looks nice when the younger generation has one. Mind you, I'm on my way to turning forty despite people thinking I'm late twenties.
I get the same comments from random people too

With most of my gray hair in my beard area - beards now make me look 10+ years older - and at 50, I look old enough! Maybe when it all turns white, I'll go back to being a bearded man.

Please explain... the longest I've ever let mine go is a couple months and I think the longest its gotten is maybe an inch... seems like I can grown a quick short scruff in a week but then growth seems to almost slow to a halt.

I've also wanted to let mine grow for a couple years.

Beard oil is essentially a mixture of essential oils (for scent) and things like jojoba oil, which helps moisturize the beard as well as the skin below. When hair gets long, the sebaceous glands under the hair follicles aren't able to reach the oils to the end of the hairs. It helps prevent itching and "beard dandruff" and whatnot. I started using it a few days ago and it instantly makes my beard feel less scratchy and smoother.

What The Heck Is Beard Oil, And How Does It Work? | Huffington Post It's been all the rage for a few years now, with beards becoming more in vogue and accepted in the business world

As far as how long it grows - that's different in everyone. I've always been able to grow a beard well, so mine is about 1/2 inch after about 3-3.5 weeks

Thanks for the info on beard oil. The itching when it gets to a certain length is another of the reasons I end up shaving it off. I'll get some of that on my next attempt.

Like @Bonkin, there is more salt than pepper in my goatee. I, however, have had my facial hair for over 20 years. My kids, and my grandson have never seen me without my goatee. There are pictures, but never in person. It has been as long as 4 or 5 inches, but I usually keep it around 1 inch long. I am participating in No Shave November for the first time. I am sure there will be more white hairs than black coming out.

Not happy. Decided to go for a trim just to snip the ends off. He took a good inch or two.

Ouch, that sucks. I feel for you man. On the plus side I bet it looks clean. I'm now 6 weeks in and still resisted the urge to go for a trim, I'm just letting it go. Personal update - now past an inch for sure, maybe close to an inch and a half. I'm in need of a haircut though, and I'm slightly worried how it's going to look once I get the sides of my head back to their usual length as my beard will be much much longer than that. Thinking I may have to go to a proper barber shop for the hair + beard combo.

It'sso short, my wife noticed right away. The same for the hair on my head. I had said just a trim to basically get rid of split ends. She says I could have trimmed it and would never have done what the barber did. Let's just say he didn't get a tip and I won't be back.
I miss my beard

It'sso short, my wife noticed right away. The same for the hair on my head. I had said just a trim to basically get rid of split ends. She says I could have trimmed it and would never have done what the barber did. Let's just say he didn't get a tip and I won't be back.
I miss my beard

You have my sympathy, you really do: Every time I've been to a barber for a 'trim' it's always been cut horrendously short. If your barber has a long beard themselves then they might be more understanding, although I've seen the price of a beard-trim alone go beyond £30.00 ($37.00) in the trendy 'hipster' areas of London.

For £30 you could buy yourself a decent set of hair clippers and trim your beard with those. Brush your beard in the direction the hair grows and then use the clippers with a long guide-comb (number 4 at least) in the same direction and it'll trim down the straggly, wild hairs without eating into the bulk of your beard. That's what I do when my beard's long anyway. It's been a while; I may have to grow it out again. It always makes the lady happy.

The sides don't seem to be growing out like the rest now. I'm tempted to shave it all off and regrow it.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom