all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Been Away For Awhile Question On Weekly S&S Frequency

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Benedictine Monk

Level 3 Valued Member
I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts on the following frequencies for a non athlete trainee age 50-59:

(1) 3 times a week
(2) 4 times a week
(3) 5 times a week
(4) 7 times a week

I would start with 3 days a week and go up from there as it feels good.

As a fairly young and in-shape S&S beginner I found I had to work my way up to 7 days, and step back down once I reached the half bodyweight bell.

i am 51 and i gauge sessions per week on my objectives - when i am in a strength building stage i pull back to 3 days a week and use the heaviest bells i can while maintaining proper form - when i am in a normal condition maintenance phase i use a bell that is easier and practice 6-7 days per week - the majority of my year is focused on practice as I enjoy using S&S as part of my daily routine. decide upon your objectives and build or choose a program to meet them.

Training frequency cannot be looked at by itself. What goals does our non-athlete trainee have, and in what priority order? Let's start there.

-S-

Frequency for training depends largely on individual capacity for recovery. You don't want to exceed that, and it can vary widely, especially in the 50's. Following the guidelines in the book for developing form, and then starting out as outlined should be safe-especially paying attention to feeling "recharged" and generally good afterwards and during the day.

Like Steve said... It's all about the trainees goals. I'll be 59 in a weeks time. When I have access to my KB's I typically do S&S 5 days per week (all in a row) But bear in mind I am not a "non-athlete" trainee.

Everyone is different and everyone has different requirements depending upon their goals and situation. Lots of variables in play...

I would like to drop some body fat still but fear that 5 - 7 days a week isn't the answer for me yet given I'm swinging
too small a bell. I am tempted to add hill sprints in an Easy Strength manner daily for 3 weeks and then adjust S&S volume
up or down depending on recovery.

I've had this debate before with people and I think the short answer is that until a certain minimum percentage of body weight
for the bells is achieved in the Swing and the Get Up, supplementary anaerobic work like hill sprints is needed to activate the blow torch.

(Using a 16kg for swings and just started adding a 24 kg for a set or two into the 20 kg for the TGU).

- almost daily
- instead of skipping the training session, use the light day option (light overspeed eccentric two hand swings, lighter get-ups - even "just" with the shoe)
- drop body fat mainly by wise food choices

- almost daily
- instead of skipping the training session, use the light day option (light overspeed eccentric two hand swings, lighter get-ups - even "just" with the shoe)
- drop body fat mainly by wise food choices

I always listen to someone with the first name Pavel. The food choices don't seem to be a problem - though I dropped close to 10 pounds by just eliminating
black coffee (caffeine overdose or dehydration? No one knows) I had forgotten about the light overspeed eccentrics (at one time I was using a 16 kg for 2 hand swings
so I'd written off two hand overspeed eccentrics as impractical till I hit a higher weight, forgetting that I'm now at 16 kg one handed).

I'll assume the eccentrics are adequately described in S&S. Thank you!

(Still love hill sprints, of course. Shout out to the Snideman brothers)

Regarding caffeine - was guzzling 32 oz a day of dark roast Starbucks until I started developing sleeping problems
and a racing heart beat. Googled Starbucks caffeine warnings and immediately switched to light green tea and decaf
coffee.

Lesson learned.

Sidenote: Now that my tennis/golf elbow and trigger points are under control in my right arm, I believe
I have a slight finger weakness in my middle finger that might respond favorably to the single finger devices from
Iron Mind.

My physio suggested the One Wicked Wrist Roller for stretching out my forearms (an SFG detected me goosenecking
the TGU a few weeks ago on my right side) and it worked really, really well with just light doses.

Good one.

I really didn't mean it to be a smart a@# remark. It just depends so much on so many things. I'm not a trainer, but I've come to figure out that at my age I need to really listen to my body and not train just to be getting in another day. You could do really well on a 5/week S&S schedule. I've done it but I waved the intensity with different bells. Something like; 55 lb., 32 K, 32 K, 55 lb., 45 lb. You also said that you are eating less to lose body fat. That's very good, diet is where those changes are made, but how are the lower calories affecting your training? Then there are other things like stress that play into it. It really all depends.

Personally, I would give one of Al Ciampa's A+A high volume swing programs a try.

I really didn't mean it to be a smart a@# remark. It just depends so much on so many things. I'm not a trainer, but I've come to figure out that at my age I need to really listen to my body and not train just to be getting in another day. You could do really well on a 5/week S&S schedule. I've done it but I waved the intensity with different bells. Something like; 55 lb., 32 K, 32 K, 55 lb., 45 lb. You also said that you are eating less to lose body fat. That's very good, diet is where those changes are made, but how are the lower calories affecting your training? Then there are other things like stress that play into it. It really all depends.

Personally, I would give one of Al Ciampa's A+A high volume swing programs a try.

All good ideas. I am not sure about the effect the diet is having. I think not sleeping enough hours at night may be a bigger problem. I dumped a training session last week because my grip seemed to be fried when I tried a 12 kg swing to bottom up press on my left side to lock in and pack my shoulder. I also confess to being a little worried about weekly volume on the swing until I've cleaned up my pattern issues (I have a dysfunction on my lunge pattern with left leg forward, right leg back) but part of that is no doubt a mental game.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom