all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Been Away For Awhile Question On Weekly S&S Frequency

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Straight from the StrongFirst About page. “Strength is the foundation for developing the rest of physical qualities,” stated Prof. Leonid Matveev. To reach high levels of power, endurance, sport skill, and fat loss you must become strong first. Period.

I am on a weight loss adventure while on my extended down time. Start by reading the labels and/or searching Google for the calorie count. You might be surprised at some of the numbers. Second, set a daily calorie goal and stick to it. Third, chose your food wisely. In my opinion eat foods you like as it is easier to stick with your program. Like chocolate cake? When you realize one 95 gram slice is 352 calories it doesn't taste near as good as 85 grams of lean ground beef at 213 calories.

"Adapt but do" a twist of the well known Russian phase. If hill sprints don't cause problems then they a good choice. Spice them up with a kettlebell or two in a rucksack it your conditions allow it. We did those in the Army with all our gear and they were tough.

Straight from the StrongFirst About page. “Strength is the foundation for developing the rest of physical qualities,” stated Prof. Leonid Matveev. To reach high levels of power, endurance, sport skill, and fat loss you must become strong first. Period.

"Adapt but do" a twist of the well known Russian phase. If hill sprints don't cause problems then they a good choice. Spice them up with a kettlebell or two in a rucksack it your conditions allow it. We did those in the Army with all our gear and they were tough.

Missed this the first time. Could you give me more detail on rucksack weighted hill sprints?

@Benedictine Monk It was in 1969 in US Army combat training. There were two versions, the first was a bayonet assault where we ran up the hill and engaged targets along the way. The second version was live fire with a M-14 rifle where we engaged close targets. We did a couple of dry runs first so we didn't stab or shoot ourselves or others. The total gear weight, steel helmet/assault pack/M-14, was about 35 lb/16 kg or so. The lanes were probably about 100 to 150 meters long but back then they seemed a lot longer. The hills were very steep but you could run up them like in the Ultimate Soldier Challenge YouTube videos. This military training is not for physical fitness and has a high probability of injury from falling.

I think 16 kg is about the right weight for weighted hill sprints. A M-14 rifle weighs 9.2 lb/5.2 kg so 12 kg would go in a rucksack. The rifle was carried at "port arms" with the
hands gripping over/under about 60 cm apart. I attached a couple of photos from the Internet that show the equipment and port arms. I think carrying something about a meter long, a rifle is not a good idea these days, weighing about 5 kg at port arms would be worth a try. It would keep your upper body tight and require more from your legs because there is less arm swing. It would also give you a grip to crush so it they are hard style sprints. If you try this take it easy at first, it will be different.

Port Arms.jpg Back View.jpg

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom