Before Enlightenment, Chop Wood, Carry Water. After Enlightenment, Chop Wood, Carry Water

Discussion in 'Everything Else' started by Steve Freides, Nov 28, 2019.

1. Steve Freides

Steve Freides Forum Administrator Senior Certified Instructor

2. SMalishev

SMalishev Double-Digit Post Count

I agree with this article. I've started barbell training recently and have found it reduces worrying, and the concentration needed for heavy weights is good for clearing your mind.
    The deadlift in particular I believe calms me down a lot, it could be because it loads up the nervous system, and afterwards the nervous system re-calibrates itself to notice smaller things less and be ready for heavy loads

ShawnM and Anna C like this.
  3. LukeV

LukeV More than 300 posts

Brilliant article and I also recognise the mental benefit that the clarity of the weight room brings. There's not much left in modern life that comes down just to you. When it's you and the bar no-one can help you but no-one can hinder you either. It's a blissful feeling

Billy59 likes this.
  4. wespom9

wespom9 More than 500 posts Certified Instructor

I will also plug both his books here that he wrote with co-author Steve Magness, listed at the bottom of the article: Peak Performance (which follows the theme of this article, and highlights the equation STRESS + REST = GROWTH, which I just love) as well as Passion Paradox. Good overall reads that probably touch on what many of us already either know or intuitively do, but presented cohesively.

Caleb G. likes this.
  5. JW513

JW513 Double-Digit Post Count

Its very too... This is a recovery week, which means no working out, except maybe a walk and some yoga. Its only day 2 and I feel lost. Also, manual labor, you feel pretty good after that as well.