all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Beginner- 2-35lb KK Comp Bells: To buy or not to buy?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

snoddin

First Post
Hello All,

I am brand new to kettlebell training. For context, I’m a 30 year old male with an athletic background and past experience with general workout routines but not for quite a few years. I have a copy of S&S on the way to begin! I have a local option to buy 2 brand new KK Comp bells for $150 total on Craigslist. I’m the analysis paralysis type so I’ve dug deep into the differences between comp and hardstyle bells and what training programs work best with each but I still don’t have a clear answer and I know some of it comes down to preference and hand size.

If anyone could provide a bit more clarity for me as well as tell me if this is a no-brainer purchase as opposed to buying 2 brand new cast iron SF bells online, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance. Apologies if I’m not posting this in the proper place as I’m new to forums in general.

Attachments

• 3A8D4B92-DAF4-4C2E-B8A9-B46684850DA8.jpeg
    3A8D4B92-DAF4-4C2E-B8A9-B46684850DA8.jpeg
    41.8 KB · Views: 18
I'd jump on that as a beginner, and honestly it'd be more attractive if I were a female. But $2/lb is a little steep.

Just understand that they won't get nearly as much love after about 12-18 months.

They might be great for high volume clean and jerk.

They might be great for speed loads at some point.

But until then they are a very well regarded brand and at the bottom of the list of grown men weights.

Full disclosure, I have a set of single bells 16kg-48kg in 8kg jumps. I haven't touched my 16kg bell for many months almost years now. Especially since achieving simple. Mostly I snatch my 24, I press my 32, jerk the 40kg and swing . There's a little overlap in there, but that's the way I've been using them for the better part of a year.

I'd jump on that as a beginner, and honestly it'd be more attractive if I were a female. But $2/lb is a little steep.

Just understand that they won't get nearly as much love after about 12-18 months.

They might be great for high volume clean and jerk.

They might be great for speed loads at some point.

But until then they are a very well regarded brand and at the bottom of the list of grown men weights.

Full disclosure, I have a set of single bells 16kg-48kg in 8kg jumps. I haven't touched my 16kg bell for many months almost years now. Especially since achieving simple. Mostly I snatch my 24, I press my 32, jerk the 40kg and swing . There's a little overlap in there, but that's the way I've been using them for the better part of a year.
No dbl. bell stuff?

Hello All,

I am brand new to kettlebell training. For context, I’m a 30 year old male with an athletic background and past experience with general workout routines but not for quite a few years. I have a copy of S&S on the way to begin! I have a local option to buy 2 brand new KK Comp bells for $150 total on Craigslist. I’m the analysis paralysis type so I’ve dug deep into the differences between comp and hardstyle bells and what training programs work best with each but I still don’t have a clear answer and I know some of it comes down to preference and hand size.

If anyone could provide a bit more clarity for me as well as tell me if this is a no-brainer purchase as opposed to buying 2 brand new cast iron SF bells online, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance. Apologies if I’m not posting this in the proper place as I’m new to forums in general.
I’d buy them if I were you.

Heck I’d buy them even if I were me now.

I mostly clean, press, and snatch 32s but my 16 still gets used most weeks.

Thank you guys!

I’m most likely going to pull the trigger on the purchase, if for nothing but the price to quality ratio alone. It’s $200 more to get a 16kg & a 24kg StrongFirst set online. If it won’t be too much of a hinderance on the program and I can get at least a year of use out of them, it seems foolish not to. I’m seeing Kettlebell Kings Competition Bells currently going for 164.98 a piece on their website but they’re all yellow so the ones I’m potentially going to buy must be an older model. There are 2 certified instructors in my city but I’m hesitant to drop that cash right off the jump, I may give in if I hit some roadblocks.

I’m the analysis paralysis type so I’ve dug deep into the differences between comp and hardstyle bells and what training programs work best with each but I still don’t have a clear answer and I know some of it comes down to preference and hand size.

@snoddin, welcome to the StrongFirst forum.

The same minds that created StrongFirst's programming also designed StrongFirst kettlebells and with the same attention to, well, everything.

StrongFirst recommends its own kettlebells for its programs. Similar would be better than competition style. (Yes, there are people who like competition style better who post here - to each his own.) I have been pleased, for non-StrongFirst bells, with those from a company called I Sell Fitness - I can pick them up locally so no shipping. I think they offer that option in two places in NJ and one in Floriday. I own them in several sizes StrongFirst doesn't make, otherwise all mine are StrongFirst.

Get yourself a 24 kg - I have always followed the simple logic of purchasing a single 16, then a 24, then a 32, and then going back and getting doubles.

-S-

Thank you guys!

I’m most likely going to pull the trigger on the purchase, if for nothing but the price to quality ratio alone. It’s $200 more to get a 16kg & a 24kg StrongFirst set online. If it won’t be too much of a hinderance on the program and I can get at least a year of use out of them, it seems foolish not to. I’m seeing Kettlebell Kings Competition Bells currently going for 164.98 a piece on their website but they’re all yellow so the ones I’m potentially going to buy must be an older model. There are 2 certified instructors in my city but I’m hesitant to drop that cash right off the jump, I may give in if I hit some roadblocks.
The bells are current, COMPETITION KETTLEBEL- FITNESS EDITION $104.99

Don! You’ve shown me the light. After what Steve said, I’m certain now that I have to buck up and get SF bells. I will beat myself up incessantly if I don’t. Once again, thank you for this clarity. I knew in my heart of hearts that I should all along. I’ll thank myself years down the road. I’ll be sure to get involved on the forum as I progress and have something to contribute. All the best, gentlemen.

If there’s one in your area, Play It Again Sports has terrific deals on kettlebells. I picked up two Ader 32kg bells in Hattiesburg, MS for $70 each. The salesman told me that their kettlebells, regardless of make, are $1 a pound..!!

If there’s one in your area, Play It Again Sports has terrific deals on kettlebells. I picked up two Ader 32kg bells in Hattiesburg, MS for $70 each. The salesman told me that their kettlebells, regardless of make, are $1 a pound..!!
Bought my Apollo 32's at Play It Again around 10 years ago for $125 each.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom