all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Beginner advice

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Roots

First Post
Hi Strongfirst enthousiasts!

I’m a 33 years young/old from Belgium very eager to explore the Strongfirst world and maybe go for a SFG1 certification somewhere in the spring of 2022 (+ maybe SFL).

I’m not a typical strong dude. So I can use some advice which method has the most chances to progress.
My goal is to add muscle mass and off course, become stronger.
With the important side note that I want to train very progressively to avoid any injuries.
I know they are somehow different goals, but more muscle mass somehow means more strength, so I hope I can develop both.
I guess strength will be the main reason of Strongfirst training. Off course this is no bodybuilding and I guess time under tension is not that much with mostly explosive, power movements, correct?

In the longterm my goals are, like most of you I guess, to be as “bulletproof” as possible for life. Strength, mobility, endurance, … all important aspects.
I want to be fit for all kind of adventures and be healthy in the long run.

I measure 180 cm and 73 kg (thats’ 5’11” and 161 pounds for my US friends ;)).

As I told you, I’m not a strong dude (but willing to put in the work to become one).
My 1RM back squat (only tested once) is 95 kg (=209 pounds). Deadlift was not tested, guess it’s not much higher or not higher at all. Weighted pull up is 27,5 kg extra load as 1RM. My bench press is very weak with only 62,5 kg (=137 pounds).
My BB military press is very, very weak at like 32 kg (71 pounds) for 3*10.
At this moment I don’t want to load heavier since I got a problem with my wrist (electric shock, probably due to a pinched nerve, in every eccentric phase of a rep).
I’m checking this out with a physiotherapist. This physio is FMS trained and told me that my posterior chain is not flexible enough and I should work on that.

I try to integrate some mobility work in my trainings.

I’m reading some of Dan John’s work and checked his strength standards. Well, I have a lot of work to do…

My trainings right now are mostly a 4-days upper/lower split divided in the main movements (ex. upper body session consists of 1 vertical pull, 1 horizontal pull, 1 vertical push, 1 horizontal push, lower body is alway a squat and hinge pattern, plus also carries and core work).
Mostly sets of 3*10 or 4*6-8.

I’m quite prone to injuries, often I have aches/pain in my shoulders, knees, elbows, hips, what not :D. I already had a shoulder surgery, due to that my mobility in my right shoulder will probably never be the same as before. I hate to say it but injuries and pains play quite a role in my life so far. I won’t give it too much attention, but it’s useful information to provide. Just starting a proven program will probably not always work in my case due to injuries that arise. Like most people (I guess) my trainings were often disrupted by injuries or pains that’s didn’t go away.

When I try KB shoulder presses right now, I have some difficulties with the KB leaning against my wrist/underarm giving some very unpleasant feelings (nothing serious as the other injuries I mentioned).
Maybe I just have to sit this one out, but any tips for this one or in this part of the game (or more training, more feeling for timing, correct grip, etc.)?

End of august I’ll attend a Strongfirst KB 101 and 201 workshop so I’ll improve my technique and overall knowledge.

In a meanwhile, what’s your opinion on the best way forward, knowing my goal is to attend and succeed an SFG1 certification (+getting stronger+hypertrophy)?
If I read the descriptions for the online program “Plan Strong” I’m probably not strong enough yet for this program.
Also, not flexible enough (cfr. weighted pistol).
(Which KB lifts do they mean btw, is that clean & press, military press, etc?)
—> Shop Custom Strength Plans, Plan Strong™ Custom Designed Strength Plan | StrongFirst
Quoted from the Plan Strong individualized plan:

There is no lower limit for barbell or kettlebell lifts.
  • In kettlebell lifts, if your 1RM is less than or equal to 24kg, you will need to have available kettlebells with jumps of 2kg between sizes (e.g. 10kg, 12kg, 14kg, 16kg, 18kg, 20kg, 22kg).
  • In pullups, dips, and pistols you must be strong enough to do your chosen exercise with more than 1/3 of your bodyweight added. E.g., if you weigh 80kg (176lb) and you would like a custom pullup plan. You should be able to do at least a single strict rep with at least 28kg (62lb) to qualify.
  • In all lifts competent technique is a must.
Another thing is Strongfirst advices to work with KB’s with jumps of 2kg in sizes, but, I can’t find KB’s with those weights (ex. 22 kg). They mostly go up in 4 kg….

So, when you are not strong enough, the recommendation is to start with the online Bodyweight Fundamentals.
—> StrongFirst: Training Center

Is this something you guys & girls would recommend in my case; the bodyweight fundamentals?
Even though some people recommend specific KB training before any BW training?

I know it’s a good thing to reach out to Strongfirst certified coach, but in a meanwhile, is there some advice?
Everybody is different, but what is somehow realistic in terms of planning, knowing I really need to build strength from the bottom up?
Are there other people out there who have experience with injuries specific to KB training, is it a bad idea to do so many “open chain” exercises when you are easy injured?

I know there are two different preparation guides for the SFG, but I guess they are quite heavy for a beginner (TGU with 32 kg, swings with 32 - 40 kg).
And I don’t understand the program completely :).

Last but not least, would it be a good idea to try to get in the -68 kg BW category so the recommended KB weight for the SFG test would be 20 kg instead of 24 kg?

I ordered Enter the Kettlebell (RoP) btw, so I’ll definitely dive into that., FYI.

Apologies for the extensive post :).

Many thanks, much appreciated!
Root

When I try KB shoulder presses right now, I have some difficulties with the KB leaning against my wrist/underarm giving some very unpleasant feelings (nothing serious as the other injuries I mentioned).
Maybe I just have to sit this one out, but any tips for this one or in this part of the game (or more training, more feeling for timing, correct grip, etc.)?
There are a lot of interesting thoughts here and it's rather avoid unclearly addressing some of your concerns and interests when I'm sure others will be able to help you much more with some things.

But I will comment here. When I first started pressing and doing turkish getups I would try the grip all the way to the corner. Where the handle would most obviously cross the base of my palm at a clear diagonal. This caused pain because the bell was resting on a spot on my forearm that hurt.

The opposite approach is not necessarily optimal, to have your hands on the center of the bells handle where the handle crossed the palm in a horizontal barbell style grip.

I had to hunt for in-between positions which wouldn't hurt my forearm and would offer good grip if my fingers were relaxed.

No need to sit out presses.

Welcome to the forum @Roots .

The usual recommendation is to start with Simple and Sinister and work your way to the "simple" standard. It was not mentioned in your post if you've already worked towards that goal... that would get you familiar with 2 of the 6 skills of the SFG curriculum.

@Roots
Welcome…
You are on the right track in attending the SF workshops. Worth every euro.
I also concur that S&S is as a good a starting point as any.

Keeping a training log here on this site can also be a great way to monitor your progress and get valuable feedback.

You say that you are ‘injury prone’. Going slow (this lifestyle is not a race), listening to your body, paying attention to technique, and getting proper instruction will go a long way…

I definitely agree, starting with S&S is a great move. Also, don’t compare yourself with any other athletes here on this forum (there are some great ones). Go at your own pace. The more and more I train, the more I realize that this is a journey. Enjoy it, train hard and train smart!

I look forward to hearing more about your progress!

If course is in 3-4 weeks, I'd think focus now could be on getting healthy then let the instructor start with a clean slate for you? I'm sure they'll put you on a good path.
I personally found that coming into a workshop with near zero knowledge of basic KB techniques was a huge waste of learning potential. Way too much info in even the basic KB lifts and SF tension techniques to properly understand, integrate and apply them if there is no prior knowledge of them.

Reading a few books and watching some good tutorials along with actually trying some moves is, in my opinion, essential. 4 weeks isn't really enough time to engraine poor technique and patterns enough to mess with learning potential once at the workshop.

First of all, thank you all for putting in the time and effort helping me out, this is really appreciated!
@Adachi: thanks for the grip tip, I'll try to experiment with this.
@Benjamin Renaud: I thought Rite of Passage was a good start as I read online, so I ordered "Enter the Kettlebell". In a meanwhile I've ordered S&S. You recommend S&S above RoP for starters? I've got no KB experience so far except some KB swings which are probably not executed in a technical correct manner. Thanks!
@offwidth: seems like S&S is the first step. Will look into this! Thanks for your advice. And indeed, I'm looking more than forward to the KB (and BB 101 & 102) workshops. I'll think about that training log btw!
@acutaiar12: it's an art to only look at your own progress, indeed, especially with all the athletes out here. Will try, tnx :).
@Nate: yep, I'm sure the workshops will provide some value. Never the less I'll try to dive a little bit into some of the materials before the seminar so I'll optimize my learning curve as Benjamin mentioned.
@Anna C: thanks, didn't saw that one yet. Another great option together with S&S and RoP. Too many good options :). I'll think I'll try this one before I'll join the workshop end of August.

To conclude: right now I'm starting up with a coach (not a SF certified one for now) who will provide me with an overall strength/hypertrophy oriented program. The reason for this is that, together with some aches I have right now (he works together with a physio), I want to have a program that takes my' imbalances' or weaker points in balance. Plus I think I needed some guidance in the execution of lifts (not only KB ones, maybe I'll also want to dive into the SFL). Also, it would be good to hear what is realistic in terms of preparation for the certification (1RM testing etc.). He has a Crossfit background and is Opex certified but I'll try to let him integrate as much KB work as possible. I'll show him the requirements and suggested preparation for the SFG1 and hope we come to an overall good program that makes me stronger. Maybe from there I'll flow into an example program that's only based on SFG1 preparation (which is for now a little bit too heavy I'm afraid).

Would you advise the SFG1 as the most 'beginner friendly' certification or would you some of you advice the bodyweight fundamentals or SFL as the ideal first cert?

Thanks a lot, have a nice day!
Roots

First, welcome to Strongfirst.

Seems like you have done your homework!

FYI, I'm not a Strongfirst instructor, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

My 1RM back squat (only tested once) is 95 kg (=209 pounds). Deadlift was not tested, guess it’s not much higher or not higher at all. Weighted pull up is 27,5 kg extra load as 1RM. My bench press is very weak with only 62,5 kg (=137 pounds).
My BB military press is very, very weak at like 32 kg (71 pounds) for 3*10.

This isn't a bad number with your bodyweight and your injury history.

I believe in having a good base of "slow strength" before when kettlebell. If you find that big 3 of barbell lifts are not for you right now, consider to choose their easier to learn version: squat with safety bar, bench with dumbell/Swiss bar, deadlift from different height/semi sumo stance...

Else you can dab around with bodyweight exercise and carry. Push up, hip hinge, turkish get up with shoes (light one!), deadbug/bird dog, plank variations, suitcase/farmer walk/...

For the kettebell lifts, grab Pavel's SnS and focus on goblet squat, deadlift with kettlebell, bell hike...Read and reread the book many time, also other Pavel's books because it's all related.

The only only thing that I think is not given emphasis into is your "hypertrophy" goal. Optimal Hypertrophy requires a different type of training. I think S&S is not optimal for hypertrophy (except hamstrings and lower back). The reps should be 5 and above at at least 60%of 1RM to stimulate the muscles to grow at a noticeable point. Programs like RoP and Geoff's the Giant or KB strong(more advanced) are very good options for hypertrophy using KBs. Of course training for strength will yield hypertrophy results but not to the same point as a dedicated hypertrophy cycle would. That's why we all see extraordinarily strong people at low bodyweight (for example 65Kg lifters). Of course, this is just my opinion.

I remember one of my crossfit on-ramp days, i was to learn the swing, deadlift, clean & snatch. Seemed reasonable.... Looking back, i learned to do a lot of stuff, all very poorly. i may have learned what they were but i most certainly didnt learn how to do them well. And that's because doing them well meant my body needed to structurally change. And that doesn't happen in a session. I would have been better off focusing on the deadlift to a decent level then the others would have a functional hinge to work from. With a KB focus, Id say start with the big 3 (goblet squat, swing & tgu - S&S) until respectable, then add clean & press and snatch (ROP). Everyone has their own opinion. Esp with age or injury, i see the unilateral nature of KBs gives additional benefit compared to barbells. Especially in relation to core stability. Barbells excell for overall weight. So if Simple is too easy (100 1 Hand Swings & 5 TGU each side with 32kg) then the higher weight may be essential. But if KBs are heavy enough, and you need functional health, I believe building respectable, performance with the goblet, swing & tgu is an excellent foundation. This alone provides a lifetime for many on here.
But that is just one perspective.

@Roots your approach sounds fine and I don't think you'll be wasting time to get started as you are. However I would encourage you to move relatively soon to a simple, focused program and resist the urge (and possibly your trainer's urge) to cover a lot of ground with variety movements and exercises. StrongFirst is really good at minimal approach, which teaches you to focus, practice, and progress.

As far as a first cert, yes I'd say SFG would be a good one, but the others can also be first. SFL if you really prefer barbell as your main tool, and SFB if you want to truly understand high tension techniques for strength-building. They all complement each other.

I think once you attend the Kettlebell 101 and 102 workshops in August you'll have a good idea of how you want to progress.

I thought Rite of Passage was a good start as I read online, so I ordered "Enter the Kettlebell".
ETK actually has the first version of what was to become S&S, the Program Minimum. Swings and Turkish get-ups. Once you get those 2 skills down moving on to RoP will get you familiar with another 3 skills (clean, press, snatch), leaving the KB front squat that is covered in programs from Geoff Neupert and others.

Here is a good channel to dive into to learn the basic SF skills and principles. I'll also include my favorite swing timing video.

Another thing is Strongfirst advices to work with KB’s with jumps of 2kg in sizes, but, I can’t find KB’s with those weights (ex. 22 kg). They mostly go up in 4 kg….

Welcome!

Kettlebell Kings Europe has bells in 2 kg increments:

I've never used their powder coat bells, but I have 8 pairs of their competition bells in various weights.

Welcome!

Kettlebell Kings Europe has bells in 2 kg increments:

I've never used their powder coat bells, but I have 8 pairs of their competition bells in various weights.
When I began with kettlebells awhile ago and only had a few bells, I had my KBs wear a weighted vest. Worked well with swings! Don’t hate!
ADEA1A5A-A3C5-4E5D-A5A1-4513E2DB8356.jpeg

How does that work for the moves where the KB needs to rest on your forearm, like TGU?
I left a enough gap between the 2.5 lb ankle wts if needed. My forearm would only be over the Velcro strap mostly.

I had not practiced snatches to that point. Luckily I have the KBs I need for this “elitist” and current favorite exercise because…. well, obvious.

You can always duct tape change plates to the bottom of your kettlebells or get these.

On the few times I've micro-loaded KBs, I've used these:

Same idea, basically, although not in KG, but LBs.

(which annoyed me, because all my comp bells are in KG)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom