all posts post new thread

Barbell Beginner lifting program with tension skills

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
If I can't retain them then what's the use of achieving these Numbers

As to why you want to be strong, that is something you need to answer for yourself. As for what's the use, the point is you still retain a good portion. It is like studying in a university. Most likely you will not retain every single detail of what you learn and study. But the point is you have a reason you are studying, and you are developing yourself. You graduate more developed than when you started. And you continue to hone the skills you need over your career. You may not need something you learned in school. You may need something you didn't go over in school. You may find you need to perfect something you learned in school.

So it is with strength. It is a process of developing yourself. As @Steve Freides has helped me understand from other discussions, that's the beauty of retaining a skill. Say you reach your strength goals. You can safely put the squat, deadlift, and bench press aside to work on something else (say pistols and OAPU) for a few months, knowing that the other lifts will still be there should you choose to develop them more. You might lose a little, but you will definitely not be starting from the beginning because you are more developed than when you started. And most likely what you "lost" can be regained quite quickly.

Last edited:
@D-Rock, that is a great analogy, and well-stated. I'm adding this to a set of notes I have on "Why Strength?" and will remember the source. I still find it difficult to articulate to other women why they should strength train, so I'm always mulling over how to better make the case. What you've said a great piece of the puzzle that definitely applies. Thanks!

An interesting question, what's the use of lifting if I can't keep the numbers up when I stop.

By the same reasoning, no use taking a woman on a date, since you'll only have to take her on another date later on. No use going to work and earning an income, since if you stop going to work they'll stop paying you.

Continued results require continued effort. That's life.

@Scholar...Lots of top notch advice has been given to you here, which is to be expected! If you were training cardio endurance (which you are not) that is a much different story. But since strength is a skill it stays around a lot longer, and is easier to regain. (IMO)

On another note... You mentioned pain in your shoulders. I'm sure you understand that there is a difference between pain and discomfort. Listen closely to your body. Keep an eye on this 'pain'. Please Make sure it's not injury creeping in.

Impossible to say. I'm not a medical professional, and even if I was, diagnosing stuff over the Internet is a fools errand at best. If you are concerned, get it checked out. I may be over cautious about injuriies compared to some others. I learned the hard way.

I am using all the tips in this video by mark rippetoe.....What I am doing wrong?
You are oversimplifying the situation - you may think you are using all the tips in that video, but this is why we have teachers: to give us both instruction _and_ feedback on whether or not we are actually following that instruction.

Please post a video of yourself bench pressing if you'd like advice on your bench press.

Thanks.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom