all posts post new thread

(Beginner) Naked Warrior and Combat Conditioning

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

User 7569

Basically the program is as the title states.

I am 6'1, 154 pound male. Body fat about 12% (could be wrong, that's what it looks like compared to pictures though)

No injuries, although elbow and patella tendon occasionally give me trouble if I overdo it. I move pretty well, can wall walk, bridge, do reverse pushups, etc..

I've been following strict NW combined with combat conditioning on a daily basis for about 8 weeks now, although I've done both for longer, just not combined as now.

Combat conditioning, for those that don't know, is a program based on "The Royal Court" of Hindu Squats, Hindu Push ups, and Bridging (what most refer to as the wrestler's bridge.) It's focus is on strength endurance, lung power and flexibility, particularly in the spine.

Combat conditioning really shines by opening up your body and awakening what Matt Furey refers to as your energy source (the spine). I do some version of the royal court on a daily basis, among other exercises in the combat conditioning repertoire including bear crawls, reverse push ups, table makers, duck walks, crab walks, wall sits, hill sprints, jump roping, wall walks etc. For what it's worth I love Combat Conditioning and think its a great program that you can't help notice the results from.

Combat conditioning facilitates upper body mobility like nothing else I've found, which is a must for my martial art of choice, Tai Chi Chuan.

I will also do a big pull at least a couple times a week, per NW protocol. Usually I dead lift a log or do swings with a 35lb bell.

I've been using a 3lb kettlebell for balance on my pistols. I can do clean pistols on both left and right legs now. I wasn't able to do this up until about a week ago, after returning to NW following a couple weeks off.

The biggest difference about doing complete pistols now, compared to when I started back in April, is that i'm really comfortable "in the hole" at the bottom, and have enough strength to power out of the bottom slowly and safely.

The descent could be better, but it is still slow and done by pulling with the hip flexor.

I really never thought I would do pistols safely and productively. For someone who is 6'1 I had heard pistols were just out of my genetic prophecy. I'm here to tell you that is bullshit. I started out very weak when I discovered the NW back in April and can now do clean pistols with no knee issues (being careful, of course). Amazing what practice can do.

hope you learn something from this training log

8/11/17

Did ladders up to 2 of OAwallPU and Strict Pistols off a platform (with 3lb kettlebell for balance).

The platform makes it easier on the leg that you have to push in front of you, and ultimately easier on the hip flexors of your free leg. Thank you to Ross Training for that tip.

OA wall PU are hard as hell still. You can make them a lot easier by not using correct tension and succumbing to bounce, but that's no good.

Last OAPU done in ladder was done as a one arm plank "breathing behind shield" for about 10 to 15 seconds. Abs feel tight afterward

That was all, 2 exercises done by using a ladder up to 2 reps and back down. I felt 3 would have been too much still.

Combat conditioning was a set of 7 wall walks , up and down. Then a set of 5 box pistols, followed by an isometric on each leg, then 5 sets of reverse pushups, done 2, 2, 1 , 1, 1 style. Reverse pushups are more about the stretch and the hold. This is one of the best CC workouts available; it wakes you up, stretches you out, and lets you practice those pistols. Did this in morning after waking

Last edited by a moderator:
8/12/17

felt quite weak during combat conditioning circuit training w/ jump rope. still managed to get about 40 hindu squats, 20 hindu pushups, 5 v-ups, 5 no momentum situps, and a few reverse pushups. Endurance strength is drained today.

did a couple of clean pistols on each leg and a couple of OAwallPU on the left side, but that was all.

really felt the hamstring fire in the pistol descent today.

did day 2 of 3RM fighter pullup program. 3, 2, 1, 1

feel pretty tired now. can't help but notice the new medication i'm taking is making me more drowsy and weaker at certain times.

8/14

Combat Conditioning Karl Gotch Bible Workout Custom Template 1:

Get a deck of cards and shuffle up

red diamond: arms in pushup
red heart: arms wide pushup
red club: hindu pushups
red spade: divebomber pushups

black diamonds and heart: hindu squats

black clubs and spades: hindu jumpers

Just ran through 17 cards in about 10 minutes. Great pushup workout today.

Thanks again 305pelusa for letting me know which pushups to focus on.

8/15

circuit training today

50 hindu squats

1 min rope

25 hindu pushups

1 min rope

7 v-ups

1 min rope

3 reverse pushups

1 minute rope

5 no momentum situps (jesus)

1 minute rope

~15 tablemakers

1 minute rope

3 kneeling backbends

1 minute rope and then a little more rope tapering to cool down

credit to matt furey for the original version of this circuit training (which has more reps), this is how much I was actually able to do

did about 1 minute of rope in between but did not time it. tried to stay as relaxed as possible when jumping rope to shake out the tension between sets

this workout will definitely help you with the digestion and elimination process. I wouldn't eat but a couple hours before though

hindu squats seem to have crossover with bicycle riding and especially bicycle hill sprints

important to switch between flat heel hindu squats and raised heel hindu squats to avoid knee issues (also matt's idea with my thumbs up!)

reverse pushups might be the best exercise included in combat conditioning

Last edited by a moderator:
hurt myself yesterday riding a bicycle. wrist is a little messed up right now, and my hip has a bruise on it. other than that i'm ok. always wear a helmet.

gonna rest from pushups and pullups till my wrist feelin dope.

did five minutes of easy hindu squats and a wall sit this morning. gonna do that a couple more times today and thats all. feels good after finishing these, especially in the hand that hurts.

In other news I'm starting a 30 day challenge today. the 30 day tuna packet a day challenge.

this is to get more protein, get more fish oil, and become more accustomed to tuna
StarKist-236x325_Creation_Herb%26Garlic.png

Pistol Squat crossover to Tai Chi Chuan

I started Tai Chi about 2 years ago, and just recently returned to it. This time I returned to it knowing how to do a clean pistol squat on each leg and I would like to tell you what differences I have noticed.

#1 is balance. My tai chi instructor told me that "balance is everything in tai chi" yesterday. Basically saying that my single leg balance is on point right now. Don't know if you've ever seen a tai chi offensive kick, but it is basically just standing firmly on one leg and lightly swinging the other (straight) leg pretty low in the air (like you swing your legs draped off a pier). It is a very light swing, not like a karate kick. Barely noticeable in a fight.

#2 is strength, obviously. Being able to "static stomp" whenever applying power (which is very rare in solo tai chi practice) is very, very useful. Same for gripping with the toes. The really cool thing about tai chi and pistols is that since you are pretty much always balancing on one leg in tai chi, being able to do a clean pistol gives you a feeling of great power and control when rooted on just a single leg.

#3 upper body flexibility. when i did tai chi for the first time 2 years ago I did a lot of barbell squatting as my training. This really compromised my upper body flexibility. My fault, of course, but it is a lot easier not to create the problem when using pistols. The upper body is tense but not under any real weight (unless pistol is weight, and even then it is generally a different experience) when doing pistols. This helps to create leg power for tai chi without also stiffening up my back. Just easier and better feeling.

NW is awesome

Hello,

@Jak Nieuwenhuis
I recently started training the pistol on a wood cylinder to work on balance as well. I strongly agree with you: Pistol increases balance just a lot !

If you have the opportunity to try a pistol on a cylinder (broom stick or whatever), go for it. This increases balance drastically too and also strength because the negative phase is really slowed down and controlled ;)

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

@Jak Nieuwenhuis
I recently started training the pistol on a wood cylinder to work on balance as well. I strongly agree with you: Pistol increases balance just a lot !

If you have the opportunity to try a pistol on a cylinder (broom stick or whatever), go for it. This increases balance drastically too and also strength because the negative phase is really slowed down and controlled ;)

Kind regards,

Pet'

Thanks Pet' I'll try this with a cane (rubber tip on bottom) in the next couple of days. Gonna try the version were you "walk" your hands against the wall too..

since i hurt my wrist i been doing mosstly hindu squats cause they give no pain

did 10 minutes of hindu squats this morning with a 3lb kettlebell in each hand. very little range of motion in the rowing bit

want to make hindu squats harder and easier at the same time? take a light dumbell/ (very light) kettlbell in each hand

helps a lot with balance, takes a lot of pressure off the knees, and you can easily add up to 20 pounds of weight with appropriate dumbells

also noticed that doing the "fast and loose" shaking water off your feet bit helps out with hindu squats just like it did with swings in S and S

also try to rest the same, resting before intensity slows down, but only for about 10 seconds each time

I guess its how you do them

Went pistol crazy today waiting on someone. did 1 clean one on each leg, followed by 2 pistols each side with no negative, and then another clean one on each leg. was a great drill. reminded me of barbell squatting back in the day

then I did a right handed heavy simple and sinister, which I don't plan on doing again for a while. will do some more swings later this week though.

was so happy to finally do a few hindu pushups on the foam roller today with no wrist problems

have not tried pullups since hurting my wrist on the cycle

wrist feelin like walt disney

circuit training today

50 hindu squats

1 min rope

25 hindu pushups (fifteen on foam roll, ten on ground)

1 min rope

10 v-ups

1 min rope

4 reverse pushups

1 minute rope

5 no momentum situps (you can really make these as hard as you want)

1 minute rope

20 tablemakers

1 minute rope

5 kneeling backbends

1 minute rope and then a little more rope tapering to cool down

Front Bridge for 15 seconds

I choose combat conditioning because it makes me ^*#%, burp, piss, s***, sweat and pant for air while i'm crawlin like a dog.

I must say, at this point, Combat Conditioning is my number 1 program. I know this is a Strongfirst forum, but I find Combat Conditioning to be a more complete calisthenics program than NW.

NW is like lifting without weights. Combat Conditioning is calisthenics for a combat athlete; a complete strength/flexibility/endurance program.

NW allows me to retain the skill of pistols and great variations of pull ups with high tension and pretty good strength for my weight. Combat Conditioning works the whole body from the inside out, including my internal organs and spine.

NW has a very scaleable load, and you can practice it without virtually any extra recovery if you choose. Combat Conditioning makes you burn, sweat and pant, but recharges you and detoxes your body in the process, also with very little recovery, imo (unless you jump in the deep end).

NW is great for the lifter who wants the feeling of lifting really heavy weights while they are away from the usual weights. Combat conditioning is great for the calisthenics athlete who likes to put in work on Eastern variations of squats, pushups and work the posterior chain through bridging.

Why not do both? I don't think Matt Furey would ever object to someone practicing their pistols (the one legged squat as he calls them in his book) outside of their usual workout, or to practicing pull ups throughout the day when you see a tasty branch. The HTT always come in handy to get those last few "train hard for hypertrophy" reps on Combat Conditioning too.

The breathing is a bit different in the programs, with CC being a little less compressed than with NW. The Ouija
breath is what I use for CC, which is a freer form of diaphragmatic breathing I learned from an Ashtanga Yoga teacher in college.

Combat Conditioning is Yoga on amphetamines

Hello,

@Jak Nieuwenhuis
To create some variation and reap the benefits of all different moves, you can also get some excellent conditioning using this program:
Strength Aerobics: A Powerful Alternative to HIIT

The bodyweight version: OAP, pull up, pistol. It looks simple, but this is not easy. That way you get conditioning and strength. I often use this when I am away from home for long time.This is almost a bodyweight S&S:
- submaximal effort
- strength & conditioning
- relatively fast training
- full body training, working on mobility, balance and flexibility

This is just a thought of course ;) Indeed, when we get good results following a program...why should we do something else

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

@Jak Nieuwenhuis
To create some variation and reap the benefits of all different moves, you can also get some excellent conditioning using this program:
Strength Aerobics: A Powerful Alternative to HIIT

The bodyweight version: OAP, pull up, pistol. It looks simple, but this is not easy. That way you get conditioning and strength. I often use this when I am away from home for long time.This is almost a bodyweight S&S:
- submaximal effort
- strength & conditioning
- relatively fast training
- full body training, working on mobility, balance and flexibility

This is just a thought of course ;) Indeed, when we get good results following a program...why should we do something else

Kind regards,

Pet'

If, for some reason, I wanted to complete forgo combat conditioning and follow NW in the strictest sense, then is this how I would get my conditioning? Swings done S and S style a couple times per week would probably count too..

Hello,

@Jak Nieuwenhuis
Considering your present routine, I would do both programs (CC & "Strength Aerobics") on alternate days.

Swings "S&S like" 2 - 3 times a week can be a nice add-on, indeed.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Got a deck of cards and shuffled up

red diamond: arms in pushup
red heart: arms wide pushup
red club: hindu pushups
red spade: divebomber pushups

black diamonds and heart: hindu squats

black clubs and spades: hindu jumpers

Ran through 21 cards in about 20 minutes. A lot of arms in and arms wide pushups, and jumpers. Wondered if the deck got shuffled wrong or something because there were so many. A lot of higher rep cards too.

I flipped a coin today and decided to not GTG with anything for about six weeks. I'll still practice pistols in a Combat Conditioning workout a couple of times a week though, to keep the skill around.

All combat conditioning for about six weeks, while I get used to college again.

Did about 10 minutes of the royal court this mornig. Hindu Squats, Hindu Pushups, Bridge. It was great, what can I say. Did all I could do of each, then left it alone.

Later on I did about five minutes of rope, then five really short hill sprints up a rather steep hill, followed by a couple more minutes of jumping rope. Really felt it in the legs. Felt like when I used to barbell squat.

Gonna do that same hill sprint workout again on wednesday.

Breaking up workouts into short segments throughout the day (10 minutes here, 10 minutes there) is actually a really fun way to work out so far. Not sure of many other programs besides Matt Furey/CC that urge you to do that.

Hello,

@Jak Nieuwenhuis
Maybe this can interest you, related to high volume of a bodyweight move:
Strength in Numbers: A Case for Push-up Endurance Training

You reap even more benefits if you change the variation (standard, OAP, OAOL, etc..) Of course, you adjust the number accordingly. On a GTG base, I also add some squats and free. HSPU.

The volume is increased progressively to avoid burning out because I do that in addition to the training. However, plenty of good results :)

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

@Jak Nieuwenhuis
Maybe this can interest you, related to high volume of a bodyweight move:
Strength in Numbers: A Case for Push-up Endurance Training

You reap even more benefits if you change the variation (standard, OAP, OAOL, etc..) Of course, you adjust the number accordingly. On a GTG base, I also add some squats and free. HSPU.

The volume is increased progressively to avoid burning out because I do that in addition to the training. However, plenty of good results :)

Kind regards,

Pet'

Reassuring as far as what I'm doing now.. I'm not sure if I'm the only one, but the standard pushup feels like a very unnatural motion compared to the hindu/arms in/arms wide pushup

Hello,

Some moves seems more natural than others, that is true. For instance, related to kettlebell lifting, the bent press seems more natural to me than the get up.

The standard push up permits to work on full tension. This is the contrary for HPU, as it works more on flexibility. Both moves work different things. The standard PU mimics well a push / a punch for example. An HPU mimics well a "sprawl" like in MMA or a press move (especially for the shoulder motion).

To a certain extent, the more skills you have, the more carryover you can get. I really enjoy learning new skills because it keeps me motivated and force my body to adapt. As an example, high volume of standard push ups maintain my bent press, drastically improve my HSPU, front lever and bent arm planche.

As always, this is a matter of goal, likes and dislikes ;)

Kind regards,

Pet'

did workout before five this morning.

as many hindu squats as I could before intensity started to seriously diminish

then I picked up a 40 pound sandbag and carried it back and forth around the yard.

then i picked up the 35 kbell and threw that in the mix.

i carried both of those around for about five minutes, alternating or combining, overhead, on the shoulder, suitcase

then i finished off with a wall sit with the 35 kbell for as long as I could, maybe 30 seconds

will do jump some more rope later but probably not much besides that

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom