all posts post new thread

Barbell Beginner program

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Lumperchaun75

First Post
I'm 44 and I'm lookin to get into powerlifting I haven't lifted since I was in high school 25 years ago I was wonderin what would be the best program to start with and what I should be eatin to lose fat and gain muscle again and advice would be greatly appreciated thanks guys

I'm 44 and I'm lookin to get into powerlifting I haven't lifted since I was in high school 25 years ago I was wonderin what would be the best program to start with and what I should be eatin to lose fat and gain muscle again and advice would be greatly appreciated thanks guys
I don’t know about powerlifting specifically. But from my own experience for general strength gains while losing fat on the diet front a slight caloric deficit and 1g protein per pound of lean body mass will probably do the trick. It will take time. But it will probably work. Might not gain a lot of muscle mass but you can still get stronger. Might get jacked. Everyone’s different.

Paleo/keto/carnivore worked great for me. All for different reasons. Paleo (ate more carbs when I was doing CrossFit) Keto (when I wanted some variety and semblance of social interaction around people involving food) and Carnivore (sheer laziness and convenience).
These aren’t magic bullets but are a good starting point if you eat meat.
If you don’t have much experience dieting Paleo is a great go-to for a lot of people. No grains (rice, pasta, bread, etc...), legumes (beans) or dairy. Lots of people add dairy back in if it doesn’t mess with their digestion though.
If you’re REALLY confused about diet stuff you could really dumb it down and just go “meat and veggies” and also probably do really well. Cut out the sugar and heavily processed foods.

Just my personal experience here. Have lost about 40lbs lbs in the last year, then went back up about 3-5lbs. Went down 2 pant sizes and filled out a medium shirt with just some simple kettlebell exercises and diet discipline.

The most simple program would be to squat and deadlift once a week and bench twice, each in its own session. Start with a very light weight and do two top/work sets with as many good reps as you can. Add weight next week. Repeat until you get to too low reps, like less than three, and start again with a low weight. With the bench it's a good idea to use a different variation for the second day like close grip or overhead etc and also use micro plates if you have the option.

With the diet I would eat clean, eat at least 1 gram of animal protein per pound of bodyweight a day, and have no liquid calories.

A half an hour of relaxed walking as often as you can should also help in every manner.

It’s not a StrongFirst program, but a lot of people have success with Strong Lifts 5x5. There is also the article Pavel did with Tim Ferris called Powerlifting 80/20 based on training by Faleev.

I would start with Starting Strength for 3-6 months. The basics of it being a very basic, linear progressive program of 3 x 5 reps with small additions in weight makes for a great base. From there you can jump up to the Texas Method to ramp up to a meet. Again, very basic with ramping up to a 5 rep max that in time can be tuned up to a 3 rep max. I wouldn't sweat a single rep max program for quite a while, build a great base.
Starting Strength and the Texas Method is where I would start if I could do it all over again. I have both my kids doing Starting Strength and they are both doing great!

I would start with Starting Strength for 3-6 months. The basics of it being a very basic, linear progressive program of 3 x 5 reps with small additions in weight makes for a great base. From there you can jump up to the Texas Method to ramp up to a meet. Again, very basic with ramping up to a 5 rep max that in time can be tuned up to a 3 rep max. I wouldn't sweat a single rep max program for quite a while, build a great base.
Starting Strength and the Texas Method is where I would start if I could do it all over again. I have both my kids doing Starting Strength and they are both doing great!
SS is great. I would start there. There is also a program called powerliftingtowin.com

It is essentially SS but specific to powerlifting. The program creator even admits it. It also has a well laid out plan for transitioning to intermediate levels later on.

Eric

My thread about starting plw 2 years ago. many good answers.

The devil is in the details. For example:
Loose shoulder/ upper back while bench press - how to fix? In this thread I asked a question about bench press because I didn't feel right. Then Antti gave the answer that I still use until nowaday .

or the current thread "from backpain to shoulder position in deadlift".

Technique is important but funny that sometimes you develop that after injury...

Last edited:
I'm lookin to get into powerlifting I haven't lifted since I was in high school 25 years ago I was wonderin what would be the best program to start with

Novice Lifter

Initially, everything works for a Novice Lifter.

There are a multitude of Strength Training (Powerlifting Program) to chose from.

Starting Strength.... The basics of it being a very basic, linear progressive program of 3 x 5 reps with small additions in weight makes for a great base.
Starting Strength

As Shawn stated this is a good program to start wtih.

Periodization Training

This simply means a planned training program that progressive increase the loading over a number of weeks; with the final week being pushed to the limit or close to it.

New Training Cycle

Once you have pushed it in the final week; start a new training cycle.

Dramatically decrese the load/weigth (20 - 30%) to something that is light and easy and start over.

Doing so, allows for...

Active Recovery

The point of training is to stress the muscles and then to allow them to recovery. Recovery is where increases in strength and size occur.

Active Recovery occurs with light loads. This increases blood flow to the muscle, which enhances recovery; you recover faster.

Length of Periodization Plan

Novice Lifters adapt slowly to training. That means they can perform the same program for a longer period of time before they adapt.

When adaptation occurs, progress stops.

A Novice Lifter's Periodization Training should be around 8 week.

what I should be eatin to lose fat and gain muscle

Increasing Muscle Mass and Decreaseing Body Fat

Initially, you should gain muscle mass and decrease body fat with your training program, most likely on your present diet.

Calorie Deficit

Losing weight/body fat comes down to caloric intake.

Consuming fewer calories burns body fat.

That means you first need to know your Average Daily Calorie Intake and then decrease that calorie intake.

To do that you need to perform a...

Three Day Recall

1) Count your calories for three days.

2) One of those days need to be a weekend day, where your eating habits usually change.

3) Then divide your three day total by three. This provide with your Average Daily Caloric Intake.

MATADOR Weight/Fat Loss Study

This study determined that decreasing your calorie intake for two week produce a decrease in body weight/fat loss.

The study found that more muscle mass was preserved and more fat loss occured.

Adaptation

The study found that after two week of consuming fewer calories you metabolism adpated and decrease.

As with Strength Training Adaptation, once it occurs, progress stops.

Increasing You Metabolic Rate

The research determined that after a decrese in calorie intake for two weeks, increasing calorie intake increased your Metabolic Rate. While some weight gain occurs it will be minimal.

After the two week increase in calorie intake, decrease you calorie intake. You will lose whatever weight you have gained and more.

Alternate decreasing and decreasing your calorie intake amount taking two steps forward and on step back. The data found that muscle mass was preserved and more body fat was lost with this method.

Drs John Ivy and Layne Norton

Their research (independent of each oteher) came to the same conclusion.

Decreasing or increasing calorie needs to be kept to around 20%. Doing so, ensured greater muscle mass was perserved and more body fat was lost during the caloie deficit phase.

During the calorie surplus phase, this ensured a greater percentage of muscle mass was increased and less body fat was gained.

Bodybuiding Bulk and Cut

The MATADOR Weight/Fat Loss Plan follows the same principle that the Bodybuilder have performed for decades with their Bulk and Cut Plan.

Higher Protein Intake

Research shows that more muscle mass is preserved in a calorie deficit with a higher protein intake.

I am a protonent of keeping protein intake around 1.5 gram per kilo of body weight for most individual.

Muscle Protein Synthesis

With diet this is what triggers the anabolic increrease in muscle mass.

Research (Drs Layne Norton and Donald Layman) found that older individuals need to consume around 40 gram of quailty protein per meal to trigger anabolic, muscle growth.

Last edited:
There is also the article Pavel did with Tim Ferris called Powerlifting 80/20 based on training by Faleev.
I have had excellent results with this program and recommend it highly. After a long time only deadlifting at PL meets, last year I decided to return to 3-lift powerlifting so I was essentially a beginner at the bench press and the squat. After 9 months of 5 x 5 as outlined in that article, I set a new lifetime bench PR at age 66. I started squatting a few months later and also made good progress there.

-S-

I've been eyeing GSLP for a while and think I might give it a spin soon now that gym memberships are really cheap
GSLP was another great program I ran years back for 3-4 months twice a year. I had great gains from it. I followed the Line Backer program for the extra conditioning for BJJ and it worked very well.

I have had excellent results with this program and recommend it highly. After a long time only deadlifting at PL meets, last year I decided to return to 3-lift powerlifting so I was essentially a beginner at the bench press and the squat. After 9 months of 5 x 5 as outlined in that article, I set a new lifetime bench PR at age 66. I started squatting a few months later and also made good progress there.

-S-
Steve, how did you determine your starting weight for the lifts? Does it even matter since the program is, in a sense, self-correcting?

Did you do any kettlebell work?

I am also interested in a powerlifting program because I need to regain strength that I lost by being lazy for the last year. I figured why not use the powerlifts and maybe even do a meet.

Steve, how did you determine your starting weight for the lifts? Does it even matter since the program is, in a sense, self-correcting?
I hadn't bench pressed in close to 20 years, so I just started out from nothing - empty bar, then a pair of 10's on the bar, then a pair of 25's, and I practiced good form with no thought to volume. Eventually, I got 135 lbs x 1, and I just kept building from there. Squat was the same thing, although in that case, I started with front squats and then high bar back squats and then finally low bar back squats.

IOW, you're right, it doesn't matter. Some weeks, I'd progress quickly; other weeks, I'd be happy to add a single rep with a heavy-for-me weight as I took a month or more to work up to getting 5 x 5 with it.

Did you do any kettlebell work?
I did low-volume, relatively heavy swings, rarely more than 3x/week, and usually about 50 total swings, mix of 1- and 2-handed.

I started squatting a few months after I started BP, managed to hit a new lifetime PR in the BP about a month ago at a meet. With two more meets scheduled, I'm on target for a new lifetime SQ PR soon, too. For the deadlift, I spent a lot of time working on form via specialized variety but now that I'm back into lifting again after having taken a few weeks off/easy, I'm focusing on doing the basic 5 x 5 once a week for my deadlift as well, and for these next couple of months, I've decided to stay with much more of the main lift. And given that I know I can handle more deadlifting, I've decided to also add easy deadlifting to my week.

My one change to the basic program, which is one heavy and one light day per lift each week, was to tweak the schedule to make it more resemble a powerlifting meet - thought I'd mention that since you mentioned working up to a meet. By the book, the program recommends 25 heavy lifts as 5 x 5 once a week, and in the Tim Ferriss article, Pavel mentions doing something like 5 x 4, which is 20 lifts, with a 20% lighter weight. My version went more like this, expressed as <reps> x <sets>

Mon: SQ 5 x 5, BP 5 x 2, DL 5 x 2
Wed: SQ 5 x 2, BP 5 x 5, DL 5 x 2
Fri: SQ 5 x 2, BP 5 x 2, DL 5 x 5

or put simply:

Mon: SQ Heavy, BP light, DL light
Wed: SQ light, BP heavy, DL light
Fri: SQ light, BP light, DL heavy

And I moved the day around as the rest of my life dictated. I generally tried to make my lifting Mon/Wed/Sat, because the meets were on Saturdays, but if I needed to, it was Tue/Thu/Sat or Mon/Wed/Fri or some other similar schedule. After trying it once and not liking it, I avoided two days in a row. If I had to, I'd do Wed/Fri/Sun then Tue/Thu/Sat then Mon/Wed/Sat to get back on schedule.

And I also varied things as they felt right to me, e.g., I might do 10 singles on the light day, or I might opt for a slightly lighter weight and do 2 sets of 7-8 reps or even 1 set of 10-15 reps.

I really, really liked always doing the lifts in meet order. My lower back gets tight after benching and I needed (and still need) the practice of benching before DLing if I'm going to make a decent DL at the meet.

I should write an article on this. I took the same approach to every heavy day, once I got into real working weights for me, that I took with the ROP - heavy day means you do everything you can, not really leaving any reps in the bank but, of course, avoiding failure, just trying to eek out the most reps with a heavy weight that you could on that day, and trying to progress from week to week.

-S-

I should write an article on this. I took the same approach to every heavy day, once I got into real working weights for me, that I took with the ROP - heavy day means you do everything you can, not really leaving any reps in the bank but, of course, avoiding failure, just trying to eek out the most reps with a heavy weight that you could on that day, and trying to progress from week to week.
+1 on the article idea! I like the approach you've laid out and it seems to be working well for you. There are a lot of good programming principles in work there, but the main thing is you've found what works for you and accomplishes those two magic words, "sustainable" and "progress". So many programs are just one or the other, at best.

In regards to @Lumperchaun75, the starting program doesn't matter as much as dedication and consistency. Don't worry about the minutiae of this stuff, just pick a program and stick to it.

What I've been doing is nothing new.
True, and Faleev didn't really do anything new either. Some years ago Dan John wrote an article on the various iterations of 5x5 and one of them, which is similar to Faleev's approach, was the "patient lifter's" variation. You picked your actual 5RM as the starting weight for the program, then worked to get 5x5 with that weight, then you increased the weight and started over. It could take up to a month. A slightly better approach would be to take 90% of your 5RM and start there.

That's not an unreasonable approach. A weight you can manage for 5 x 5 is, so far as I can figure, a 7RM weight.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom