all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Beginner

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Joshua Peping

Level 1 Valued Member
Hi all
Any program recommendations for someone starting out at ground zero? Not able to do a pull-up barely 2 push-ups can do 20 body weight squats. Very limited time and space(being done in an apartment).

Hello,

@Joshua Peping
Do you have a specific goal ? Are you looking for strength ? Endurance ? Any health constraints ?

At first sight, I would go for The Naked Warrior. Starting with the first variations (the easiest one). In can match pretty well the fact that you do not have lots of time because you split the training throughout the day, as long as you are fresh.

Kind regards,

Pet'

@pet'
I'm really looking to reclaim my health and strength. I had started S&S and realized I can't even move my own body properly. I want to make sure I'm building a solid foundation. I am working on dialing in my diet( i have about 50lbs to get rid of) as well. Eventually I would like to get my SFG1 cert and take part in the tactical strength challenge. There is so much information out there that I think I'm getting information paralysis.

Hello,

@Joshua Peping
If you have to cut off a bit of fat, you can also run (or swim, or row) using MAF pace:
Method - Dr. Phil Maffetone
The 180 Formula: Heart-rate monitoring for real aerobic training. - Dr. Phil Maffetone

Regarding to the body movement patterns, here is an interesting reading (an article written by Dan John):
The 6 Foundational Movement Patterns | T Nation

If I were in your shoes, I'd go for something like that (related to training it itself):
MAF (2-3 times a week) + TNW (basically, 5 days a week) + deadlift (single leg deadlift or standard) / kettlebell swing + pull ups (3 times a week)

Indeed, all these things are highly progressive.
- MAF running: you can run longer and longer until reaching 45 / 50 minutes. No matters if you start with running only 10 minutes
- TNW has lots of progressions to get to the OAOL PU and pistol. Plus it will manage good rest, is not time & space consuming
- swing: this is possible to choose the weight pretty accurately
- pull ups: assistance is possible (bands, pulley)

Then, I'd add some flexibility and mobility
- Trifecta (twist hold / bridge / L-Sit) + Split (side & front)
- crawling / animal walks (lizzard, etc...)

Kind regards,

Pet'

Welcome! My suggestion would be to work a simple template covering dan John 6 movements. A simple program consisting of hands elivated push-ups, inverted body rows, squats, unweighted single leg deads could be all you need. For push-ups/body rows find an elivation that lets you do 5reps and go for 3-5sets on each movement. Since you started with s&s I assume you have access to kbs? Is so add farmers walks and goblet squats, there not technical and let you get to know the bells.
You may want to ask an instructor. @Karen Smith is an amazing resource of bodywieght training.

@Joshua Peping
Welcome... good advice has been given to you thus far.
Additional things to ponder:
  • Medical clearance
  • FMS Screening
  • SFG/SFB Instructor coaching
  • Grocery shopping/food preparation/food log
  • Walking
  • Things like Flexible Steel/Super Joints, Original Strength
  • More Walking
You mention that time is a constraint. How so?

Again, welcome to SF.

Hi Joshua, welcome to the forum.

I had started S&S and realized I can't even move my own body properly. I want to make sure I'm building a solid foundation.

About this, I wouldn't say that the fact that you can't move your body properly implies that you should start by bodyweight exercises. Imo, S&S is pretty beginner friendly if done by the book, starting with deadlifts.

For instance, a bodyweight squat is significantly more difficult than a goblet squat. A push up or pull up is more difficult than a deadlift with 16 or 24 kg.

What I'm trying to say is that even if you feel you don't move right, that doesn't mean you have to do bodyweight. Many bodyweight moves are a lot more difficult, more complicated to change the intensity and more difficult to program.

So I assume you didn't like S&S?

About Stew Smith Fitness - PT Club - Former Navy SEAL CSCS

Check out the above link. In addition to that article by Stew Smith (former Navy SEAL), I recommend getting a few resistance bands that you can hang on a pull-up bar to assist yourself with doing pull-ups. Use the bands to to help you complete the pyramid from 1 - 5 - 1, and when you can do it without any band assistance, start trying to tackle 1 - 10 - 1. I can say with certainly (being a former Marine) this is probably the most solid way to build your base (you know, because pyramids are very stable!).

You can also click the "articles" link to peruse the rest of his free articles on training.

PT Progression Series: #1 — The Pyramid | Military.com

The second link is another article by Stew Smith with more details about the pyramid workout. If you scroll down to the bottom, their are other progression series available as well. I like to alternate the pyramid with the rep goal for variety and for a "test day". I wouldn't go beyond those two until you can do the full 10 step pyramid with little to no assistance.

The best thing is this workout can be done in the space of a pull-up bar and the floor below it.

Unless you can something you're training for, I would really limit running. Get a pack, add anywhere from 20 - 30lbs, and go for a walk. Start with the minimum effective dose of maybe 30 mins, and add more time when progress stalls. Especially if you are 50 pounds overweight, the running will only cause injuries. Starting drinking more water (shoot for a gallon a day) and see if that doesn't help you drop some weight. Some people have lost upwards of 30 pounds simply by drinking more water. A lot of these suggestions you will find in the Stew Smith articles.

If I could go back and restart, I would train solely calisthenics. I am trying to remedy that now, but the process will be much, much harder.

Last edited:
Hi Joshua, welcome to the forum.

About this, I wouldn't say that the fact that you can't move your body properly implies that you should start by bodyweight exercises. Imo, S&S is pretty beginner friendly if done by the book, starting with deadlifts.

For instance, a bodyweight squat is significantly more difficult than a goblet squat. A push up or pull up is more difficult than a deadlift with 16 or 24 kg.

What I'm trying to say is that even if you feel you don't move right, that doesn't mean you have to do bodyweight. Many bodyweight moves are a lot more difficult, more complicated to change the intensity and more difficult to program.

So I assume you didn't like S&S?

@Oscar i do love S&S and looking at things through that lens I can see how some bodyweight work is more difficult. I’m just starting my journey back to fitness. Just want to be sure I’m doing things right. Might be best to work through S&S at least till I get simple standards? Would this give a good base before beginning to work on pull-ups etc?

@Oscar i do love S&S and looking at things through that lens I can see how some bodyweight work is more difficult. I’m just starting my journey back to fitness. Just want to be sure I’m doing things right. Might be best to work through S&S at least till I get simple standards? Would this give a good base before beginning to work on pull-ups etc?

If you are enjoying S&S and getting good results from it, I don't see a reason to stop it. As a matter of fact, I'm working towards the simple goal and I dont think I would be able to do pull ups if I had additional 50 pounds of bodyweight. So our strength levels are probably not that different.

I have just started working with a SFG instructor by video/email and I'm quite happy with it. Specially to make sure my technique is right and I won't get injured.

So if your technique is right and you don't rush the progression, I think you can do ok with s&s. If you can also walk a few times a week, better. Just my opinion.

So, as a matter of perspective, let me tell you a hopefully short story.

I stopped weightlifting around June of this year and started solely calisthenics. Last week, for fun and for a short break from the norm, I decided to go through some workouts at tacticalathlete.com.

I wanted to highlight this workout specifically WOD 9-19-17.

I've done this workout before, but was unable to load the correct amount of weight. I think previously I cut about 20% off the prescribed weight. This time, however, I performed the entire workout under and hour as prescribed. Keep in mind I haven't touched a barbell for about 3 months. So a purely calisthenics program allowed me to adequately perform a purely barbell workout better than I was previously able. This re-established my belief in remaining purely calisthenics.

I discovered this e book a few days ago and think it would be great for someone at your level. This book is pushups, pull ups (vertical rows), squats, Single leg deadlift, and six great / easy mobility exercises.

not big on programming in this book but the exercise selection / instruction is great and you can run through the program 20 minutes a day easy. you could even do S and S later in the day if you wanted!

different from super joints and flexible steel in that the exercise selection is all beginner stuff with some basic calisthenics included to round out the program and build strength

Even though you are a "beginner" you can still get ahead by working on your mobility consistently, which is something that many people neglect and end up having to go back / stall their current programs for (hopefully before they get injured from lack of mobility)

made for people who are de trained / older individuals. This book is actually really well thought out since most older, detrained adults should be working on their mobility consistently before choosing progressions such as dips, difficult pushups, and most single limb exercises

heres the book:

10 Exercises That Will De-age Your Body By 10 Years - Tom Furman Fitness

you'd also benefit (strength/mobility wise) from the trifecta on a daily / 3 times a week basis

good luck training please remember to get your mobility in check before pulling those big poundages

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom