all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Beginner's first KB program

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Mariowastaken

Level 1 Valued Member
Hello there

My name is Mario, I'm male, 23 years old, 170 cm, 81 kg, and while I'm unsure of my body composition I can safely assume it's in the range of 20%+ body-fat. I have had no history of injury, discomfort, or other physiological complications which might be considered prohibitive of exercise.

Since July of last year I've adjusted my diet and slowly started exercising to lose weight which I did, from 104 kg to the aforementioned 81 kg. As I lost this weight due to diet changes and minimal exercise I'm left with plenty of body-fat and wish to transform it into not-body-fat. To be clear I'm not trying to lose weight, rather I want to transform the weight I have into the useful kind instead of the current flabby kind. I have been using the Simple Strength for Difficult Times plan offered by Fabio Zonin of StrongFirst and as I am in the penultimate week I'm in need of a new plan and wish to get into the practice of making my own and so I've made a kettlebell program in Google Sheets: KB program. It's probably wrong and stupid in many ways. I based it on this series of instructional videos on Youtube: Wildman Athletica - Tetris.

I'm posting this as a request to the far more experienced members of this forum to review and critique the program while providing some advice on how to address the issues you find.

Thank you for your time.

Hello there

My name is Mario, I'm male, 23 years old, 170 cm, 81 kg, and while I'm unsure of my body composition I can safely assume it's in the range of 20%+ body-fat. I have had no history of injury, discomfort, or other physiological complications which might be considered prohibitive of exercise.

Since July of last year I've adjusted my diet and slowly started exercising to lose weight which I did, from 104 kg to the aforementioned 81 kg. As I lost this weight due to diet changes and minimal exercise I'm left with plenty of body-fat and wish to transform it into not-body-fat. To be clear I'm not trying to lose weight, rather I want to transform the weight I have into the useful kind instead of the current flabby kind. I have been using the Simple Strength for Difficult Times plan offered by Fabio Zonin of StrongFirst and as I am in the penultimate week I'm in need of a new plan and wish to get into the practice of making my own and so I've made a kettlebell program in Google Sheets: KB program. It's probably wrong and stupid in many ways. I based it on this series of instructional videos on Youtube: Wildman Athletica - Tetris.

I'm posting this as a request to the far more experienced members of this forum to review and critique the program while providing some advice on how to address the issues you find.

Thank you for your time.
I’m not very experienced compared to most people on here but my two cents...
Get a copy of Simple and Sinister by Pavel T. Read it and re-read. Put in the reps. * repeat until strong.
I haven’t been doing it long but I can tell you I’m in almost the exact same weight range as you (starting and current weight) and I definitely am losing fat (mostly due to diet) and just building a solid strength foundation. I could overcomplicate my routine til the the cows come home but S and S is a very simple to follow method and the results are there. Once you hit the Simple goal (I’m still far from it) that seems to be the preferred time around here to start thinking about adjusting your plan.
I think a lot of complexity tends to make people think that they’re getting more out of their training. I have found it to be a distraction.
You will get a lot of mileage out of kettlebell swings and Turkish get ups.
Don’t get discouraged if that fat doesn’t come off overnight. Give it time. Only look at your physique in the mirror once a month. You’ll feel better about yourself that way.

Your program looks good tbh, the progressive overload coming via more reps, and u covering all the big movements. I suspect it will be hard to reach the upper ranges of your progression after a while, and you will need to wave the volume back down and restart. Good luck!

It's probably wrong and stupid in many ways. I based it on this series of instructional videos on Youtube: Wildman Athletica - Tetris.

The program you have on the spreadsheet is fine. I don't personally agree with straight up linear progressions where you just keep adding reps workout over workout but it isn't technically wrong to train this way. I would caution to keep a close look after your hands as performing all of these movements with this type of progression may be tough on your hands and calluses.

I'm going to die on this hill, but beginners IMO need to run Simple and Sinister -> ETK ROP (mainly focus on clean & press w/pullup portion) -> snatch focused program like Q&D, A+A snatches, or Geoff neupert king size killer program before attempting anything else more specific... just my 2 cents though

That progression will get you where you want to be going forward

It looks a program that covers most of your bases. One thing, but thats a personal preference, working up to 3x20 with CnP, even with a light weight sounds to high? I prefer pressing in lower rep ranges.

If you like minimalism you can look at S&S. Some argues that two lifts are not enough others say it is. You can try DMPM or perhaps Kettlebell Easy Strenght from Dan Johns University? Choonse one path and do it.

To clarify, I agree the program looks fine, and i don't always go to s&s as the answer but an 81kg person having their heavy day at 10kg would benefit most from getting stronger first....

To clarify, I agree the program looks fine, and i don't always go to s&s as the answer but an 81kg person having their heavy day at 10kg would benefit most from getting stronger first....

I thought it was the sets not the weight?

I only have the 8 and 10 kg bells currently as there were no 12 kg in stock when I purchased the other two. Is it that it's 10 kg or that it's only 2 kgs heavier that has you most concerned?

Hello there

Thank you for your time.
Welcome to SF.

S&S
LED Running

I only have the 8 and 10 kg bells currently as there were no 12 kg in stock when I purchased the other two. Is it that it's 10 kg or that it's only 2 kgs heavier that has you most concerned?
Not concerned but a matter of A before B. Most people here tend to consider magic happening only once a guy is handling 24-32kg. Volume with low weight pales in comparison to owning Simple (32kg). Own addition & subtraction before jumping into calculus.

8, 10, and 12 are waaaay too light for a 23 year old male of your height and weight.

There is actually a danger in starting too light as it allows you to get away with bad form.

I'm an old-a#@ 50 year old, and I only use my 8 kg and 12 kg for remedial work and oddball prehab moves like the KB arm bar or double KB windmills.

If you're incredibly de-trained, a 12 kg might be useful for the first 1-2 weeks, but you'll quickly outgrow it.

8, 10, and 12 are waaaay too light for a 23 year old male of your height and weight.

There is actually a danger in starting too light as it allows you to get away with bad form.

I'm an old-a#@ 50 year old, and I only use my 8 kg and 12 kg for remedial work and oddball prehab moves like the KB arm bar or double KB windmills.

If you're incredibly de-trained, a 12 kg might be useful for the first 1-2 weeks, but you'll quickly outgrow it.
Is there a test of any kind that can help in determining a proper starting weight?

What I'd like to ask is this,

Can you do at least 10 pushups and pause at the bottom each rep for a second??

That will give us more context as to what is your starting point

What I'd like to ask is this,

Can you do at least 10 pushups and pause at the bottom each rep for a second??

That will give us more context as to what is your starting point
I've read that a push-up is only proper when the chest is barely off the ground with the body perpendicular to it. Assuming that to be the case, I cannot do a full push-up. Getting the feeling I'm making some big mistakes with this idea for a program.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom